Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

JOE'S PIZZA!

Ron J

Everybody loves Pizza? Don't they? There are easily 25 to 30 Pizza shops or Seafood restaurants/take- out within a 5 to 20 minute ride from my house. But i am gonna write about Pizza. Most local pizza shops in the immediate area are Greek. A minority are Italian, where as 20 yrs ago i think a Greek pizza shop would have gone out of business in a week! The REAL Italian Pizza shops have disappeared over the yrs...a REAL Bummer!:confused: Personally, I'll pass on the Greek pizza, just isn't the same! All Pizza should be Italian! Don't ya think? There is one Pizza place in Beverly,to get Italian Pizza...Joe's Pizza! There is no glamor, no flashing lights,no coupons, just good , REAL GOOD Pizza! Joe's has existed at least 55 years, maybe longer! I remember being there when i was 5 or so. Heck, the place doesn;t even have the Name on it! Just a neon sign.."PIZZA", hanging in the window.[attachment 97412 DSC04931.jpg][attachment 97413 DSC04933.jpg] Nothing fancy,surprised they hung curtains, but that's where they stack the unfolded pizza boxes, and the sacks of Gold Medal flour, and gallons of tomato paste! The place has a flavor of its own,never ungraded, fifties pine paneling on the wall, darkened by the heat, or past smokers? The floor is the old style square linoleum tiles, with mixed colors, replacing damaged or worn ones with what ever was available! The six Boothe's are recycled and well worn.The ceiling is the old "fancy" square design sheet metal squares,with paint peeling off, that is maybe ten to twenty years old. There are two of the original black ceiling fans hanging down circulating the air. There is a 3 ft or so counter, in front of a partition for the kitchen. The counter has an old non electric, National Cash Register that must be "broken". Seems no matter what amount is rung up, it always shows $1.00 ! :D Along the side,is what appears to be a fifty's era refrigerator, which is where what little beverage he may carry, is kept. The eight foot neon tubes mounted on the ceiling,are missing half the tubes. The partition is 8 ft pine paneling,matching the stained walls, with 4 foot of old wooden lattice filling the gap to the ceiling. Through the doorway, you can see a single light bulb on a two foot cord, hanging from the ceiling near the oven. Sitting in the dilapidated Boothe's,eagerly waiting for my Pizza, i get mesmerized,watching that bulb flicker light thru the lattice,from the old antiquated fan, just barely rotating. Remind me of the old Humphrey Bogart movie, "Casablanca" . Joe's is quite simple as i stated before, the box are labeled quite simply.[attachment 97422 DSC04942.jpg] There isn't even a menu! This is a family run business, Father and Son. I believe they rotate nights. Their hours are 5:00 pm to closing..1:00?[attachment 97424 DSC04937.jpg] Now, lets get to PIZZA! The crust is very thin, with a thin layer of sauce, and whatever you want besides that. I like the pepperoni! Its colorful to say the least,but the taste is unique. A cross between cardboard to something very taste full. Can't figure it out! But i can eat the whole box alone! :D[attachment 97427 DSC04944.jpg] Linda, my honey pie,:D almost lost her hand during the photo shoot! :D Oh! did i mention, its BYOB's? and i almost forgot, this will bring back memories,remember sawdust on the floor in old bars? You will see it here! :D Gotta admit the place has ambiance!! What'd you expect for $7.50? Gotta Go...need a refill...[attachment 97429 DSC04949.jpg] Rj

That takes me back .. In Courtenay, so very many years back, there was a place similar to that.. I can remember the real wood floor, worn down by so many pairs of shoes and boots. The ambiance and flavour of the place is still fresh in my mind.

Thanks Ron

Calm seas

Mikie

it would probably be packed every night...nothing like it down here. You folks up there sure have some neat and interesting sites to visit. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

we voted to call in for a family size Hawaiian pizza. For you folks that don't have these places around, this is a pizza like you see in Ron's picture with Canadian ham or bacon on it with pineapple slices and sauce and cheese. One of my favorites. Much like you Ron we have all types. I like the thicker crust with the big puffed up blisters on them. Thick edge crust is choice also. Afew of the shops here went to the thin crust but then went back thicker when the people complained. Now its your choice, either or. I've had them with grilled scallops also.... The worst I had for pizza was in Spain in Valencia. So thin they should of been surgeons. Really, windowpane ice thin. More like cardboard plate on the bottom with sauce on it. You could eat 10 of them and not be full....

I like the little out of the way joints that do it like they did 40 years ago. Kinda like eatting fish and chips in and old wharf building on the docks. Bare floors, salt water smell and good food and grog. Next best is that little take out joint thats part of George's at Point Judith or Galilee, RI.... A BIG bag of clam fritters, pitcher of beer, and watch the boats go in and out.

Have you been out on the bike at all Ron? We were up in Providence last week. Actually North Situate at Suzie Q's. Pretty big bike crowd there on Tuesday nights. I was headed there tonight but had company. So tomorrow for lunch....Wed is half price on everything.

Geo

All Italian to boot ! :beers: We've got the chains and all but they can't compare to the family shops. I always order mine "well done"......assured of a nice, crispy crust that way. Just thought I'd throw that in.......ya never know when I might be up your way for din-din. :lol:

long day of painting in the house and was really hungry when i saw that, its looks sooooo good and you are soooo bad!:lol:

That picture of the Pizza has my mouth watering though.

Heading out to do the river in a few. Have a great day:thumbup: