Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

jesse james,william quantrell,and tuck hill

david(tx)

while watching The Secret Life of....,a show on the food network,they had an episode about chili and the origins of chili.during the show they mentioned that jesse james decided against robbing a bank in my old hometown of mckinney,texas because his favorite chili parlor was there.

well,that got me to thinking about another reason he might not have robbed it,you see he had a cousin named tucker hill who lived in town and if my memory serves me right he was successful financially,i just don't remember by what means.there was a nice older house just west of downtown,which is where most of the expensive older homes had been built,which was called the tuck hill house,but i only learned this after i was grown.

i historical story has it that william quantrell was up in around bonham, texas helping citizens with problems that were common with what they called bush whackers,these were men who lived in thickets along creek areas who were either avoiding service in the civil war or were just thieves and they would rob people and create problems and he came down to clear them out.

he was asked to come to mckinney to clear out some locally and the story goes that he hung so many men on the square that it tainted the cistern on the square.since hanging usually doesn't produce much blood,i assume he must of just shot most of them to produce that much blood,most of you know how legends are born.

there were many confederate veterans in my hometown who made money after the war and made a nice living,most of then off cotton but i remember a house called the bingham house that some of my running buddies would throw horse apples at on the way home from a night on the town,at the time the name didn't ring a bell.

the bingham who had the house built had served as a printers devil(typesetter)at a dallas newspaper before the civil war and upon his return he bought the local mckinney paper and moved there.i believe he served as an officer in the confederate army.

well my granddad went to work in the mckinney cotton mill not long after it opened when he was a teenager,he told me a story that when he would get a haircut the person he referred to as old man bingham would stop in at the barbershop and get his haircut too.he said old man bingham would still carry a pistol at his side even though there were laws against because he had a lot of pull in the city.

as i got older and remembered the names of some of the people i went to school with and their last names i realized they were decendants of some of the original settlers and founding fathers of the city and alot of the city streets had their last names on them.funny how these things don't make an impression on you when your a kid, but later on you put things together.

there's history all around you,sometimes it just takes a television show to stir your memory.

victorians around there,but i haven't been over that way in about 15 years.there were a couple i know of we walked past on the way home from school that were run down and vacant that in years past i thought would make great places to detect.the city is about 5 times more populas than when i grew up there so the people who run the city now might not like detecting.

I love history and always enjoy reading anything pertaining to history, especially local history. You are correct, most children could have cared less about history, but as we get older, we start getting interested. Do you know any more history about Mr. Bingham? I ask this because of the kids throwing horse apples at his house...why did they do this? Thanks for posting this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the more important History becomes!! Most younger people,couldn't care less about history,yet..

watched it change so much, and understand a lot more now, than we wanted to growing up. I remember having to take a course in Arkansas history, and our teacher gave us a small magazine on Saline County. (My County) I wished for this magazine on many different occasions since we grew up. Most towns have a great history, it's just when they want to teach it we don't care!!!

I like it a lot, now, as do the brothers, and have several articles and books on Bauxite, Arkansas where my mother grew up. All this stuff is very interesting. Thanks for the story! :)

vacant and they were being ornery,this preceded the days when everyone started fixing up old houses.his daughter was the last to live there and there was a bois d' arc tree right across from it.

she died and windows were being knocked out by people,vandals i would say.i knew this was wrong and just stood by and watched it,not wanting to rock my friends boat.i'm glad to say somebody bought it and remodeled it.i can think of a couple of old victorians that were probably torn down that would probably have been restored today.

i would liked to have detected these old places,especially around the porches,and maybe some of the larger trees.most of them probably preceded indoor plumbing and might have had outhouse holes to dig up but people weren't into that and detecting back then.

understand the past in a place you grew up,i bet those old magazines had some pretty good articles you could use for reference now.my grandad told me they stopped off in barton,arkansas on their way from tennessee to texas about the turn of the century or a little before.

they had to work a little because they needed more supplies to continue on,so i think they worked in a mill there a little bit before moving on.at a time when some people traveled by train my great granddad brought his family by wagon because they were poor.

i could never find barton,arkansas on a census,then one day i found it on an atlas and it was next to west helena or helena,i can't remember,but they must have stopped after crossing the mississippi.he said his dad would send one of his kids to go get him a bucket of beer,i guess that must be what they called a grawler.

Was from my part of the world.Tou are right,there is interesting history everywhere.Good story,Thanks

n/t

in my area, as in yours and most of it has been lost. It is the little storys that are most interesting to me. What the common man did. There are books full of what the big people did but they usually made their fortune off the backs of the little people. They are what built this country

n/t