Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Its so hard to decide...

nutcase

Hello

i am sebastian and i just want to start treasure hunting again but i cant decide which machine i should take. I know that this is the f75 forum but this detector was released just a few month ago and i hope that someone has used another detector before.

I cant decide between the Whites mxt(650

[size=medium]mostly woods, beaches and open fields[/size]​

Hello Sebastian....

For searching the areas you have mentioned, I would suggest that you need either a Whites DFX or a Minelab Explorer. These detectors will handle the wet sand and inland soils. Why not consider a good second hand one of those two I have mentioned?

Regarding the F75 and the apparent sensitivity variations with discrimination level settings. It is NOT a software bug. If you know anything about the basic principals of metal detecting then you would understand the probable reason for this effect.
Most importantly, you would need to have an intimate knowledge of the F75's design.....The F75 is basically a land detector....MattR.UK.

p.s. (Simplified answer)

The Whites DFX TRACKS.

The MXT doesn't, nor does the F75 or the Minelab.

The MXT and F75 'compensate' using a 'last acquired value', whilst the Minelab 'compensates on the fly' so to speak, in an analogue manner.

Hi Sebastian,
I've used a LOT of different machines, including both of the ones you've mentioned, as well as some of the ones Matt mentioned. Heres my suggestion. If you like the F75, but price is an issue, you should consider the T2. Its VERY similar to the F75 but will save a bunch on price. Matt is right though, they are primarily geared for land hunting. Thats not to say the wont work at the beach, because they will, but they aren't GREAT for the beach. If you are looking for an all around GREAT machine, I'd look for an Explorer II or an Explorer SE. Great depth, work on land and at the beach and very stable. BUT you are looking at a higher price tag again.
Bottom line...if you want a very good machine at a good price, look at the T2. IF you want somethign that will be versatile just about everywhere and you dont mind spending a little more, look at one of the Explorers.

If a F-75 is $1,250 USD (33% more than I paid) what must an Explorer be??? $1,600 USD ?!?!?!? Ouch. They are hardly equivalent units.

If I had beach detecting in mind I must admit I would probably have taken a different path than the F-75. I'd love to hear what F-75 users are experiencing at the beach.

I'm headed to the beach on vacation (finally!) and I'm determined to do a little wet/dry sand hunting with the F-75 and the F4. The wet stuff is not their forte, but with the incredible small target sensitivity of the 75, itty bitty ear rings, necklaces, etc. should ring up nicely on both units...especially the F-75. We tend to have moderate black sand at the NC beaches.. (depending on where the replenishment sand came from)... can't wait!

Thanks for all your answers.

At first i have to add that i will hunt beaches not so much than i will hunt inland. I forgot to add this before and at the moment i get more and more interested in the F75 than any other unit. The explorer SE looks interesting too but it costs much more and i dont know how good it would deal with all the rusty bomb chips which i have to deal with. Used unites are very rare, especially used explorers and when they are on ebay they go for just 100-150Euro less than a brand new one. I like to have a guarantee
and the smell of new stuff. ;)

With Regards

sebastian

<< I'm headed to the beach on vacation (finally!) >>

I'll be waiting to read in the paper "Captain Kidd's Treasure Found!"

We honeymooned in Myrtle Beach, SC. Three more years on the 30 year restraining order from the city council and we can go back. :bouncy:

I was just in Charleston SC last week and I heard that 30 year restraining orders are being pushed up to 40, in your case. HH jim tn

Bah. Figures. Boy, they get all bent out of shape in "Old" Charleston when they catch you unscrewing finials off the wrought iron fences. How you gonna get a good assortment if you spend all your time running down narrow alleys?