Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It's Good to Have Good Friends

bdahunter

It was a hectic week on the job this past week, between taking care of my sick Princess and sorting out the day to day headaches on the job site. Thank Goodness I have some great friends like Anna and Glenn who pitched in to help out with taking care of my Princess and our dog Bree. Anna and Glenn (who are both senior citizens) walked Bree in the mornings which allowed me to get into work on time and still get my Princess settled in each morning for the day ahead, Great Friends.
By Friday afternoon I was plum tuckered out and I picked up a few movies to watch with my Princess on Friday night, got to bed at midnight as I had a busy day planned for Saturday; an emergency job we got called in on at the last moment.
1:00 AM Saturday morning I was awakened from a dead sleep by a call from Glenn who was in a panic, Anna had fallen off the dock on their way home to their liveaboard boat and cut her head open. Could I please come out to their boat to take Anna to the Emergency Room?
I jumped into my clothes and met Glenn at the dock, we rowed out to their 52' sailboat, 'Great Bear' and clammered aboard. Anna was lying on the bed in the saloon and her face was caked with dried blood, a nasty 3 inch gash ran across her forehead but she had no blood coming from her eyes or ears which was a good sign. I checked her for a concussion but both pupils were the same size so no concussion, then we had to lower Anna into the dingy for the trip back to the dock 100 yds. away. The wind was blowing up a chop but it was behind us so the trip back was quick enough. Hauled the dinghy up on the beach and carried Anna to the Jeep for an express run into the hospital 30 minutes away on the winding Bermuda roads. Anna was wanting to go to sleep which is a big no no with a head injury so I had her recount the accident to give her something to do while I drove and Glenn rode shotgun.
"Anna and Glenn had been coming home late from a friend's 70th birthday party and the usual celebratory toasts plus the late hour had taken a toll on both of them. The stone steps from the main dock down to the dinghy were slick with sea water and algae so Glenn went first to untie the dinghy while Anna waited half way up the steps about 4 feet above the water, that's when she slipped and fell into the harbour. Into the pitch black water she went head first and came up under a large inflateable dingy, in the blackness she was completely disoriented and was held underwater by the dinghy. Glenn turned the small flashlight on the spot where Anna went in but there were nothing but bubbles coming from the underside of the dinghy, so Glenn dove in after her. Anna was starting to drown as she worked her way along the underside of the rubber boat and that's when her forehead hit the prop of the outboard motor and gashed her head open; just as Glenn grabbed her foot to haul her out from under the rubberboat that was holding her underwater. Glenn dragged Anna's limp body into their dinghy and rowed out to Great Bear where he somehow managed to get Anna over the rail of the sailboat which rides on a mooring 6 feet above the water. They were both freezing from the dunking in their wet clothes with the strong blow that was coming across Mangrove Bay, Anna had vomited up most of the seawater she had inhaled and the vigorous rowing had exhausted Glenn. Glenn dragged Anna into the cabin and got them both changed into dry clothes, blood was everywhere; then he called me.
We made it to the Emergency Room in record time and the doctors did their thing for the next 2 hours, I finally headed for home at 3
am. I stopped by the beach to check on their dinghy which I had hauled up above the waterline and it was a good thing I did because the tide had come in and the dinghy was just starting to drift away. Wrestled the dinghy back to shore and the rowed it over to a rail I could tie it off to at the dock.
Got home, got a couple of hours sleep and then into work again, Man I was Beat!
Having Senior Citizens is just too much excitement for this lad. I almost lost two good friends the other night but fortunately things worked out all right. Anna is now back on the boat with a row of stitches running across her forehead (no Halloween mask will be required this year) but otherwise she is feeling pretty good except for a sore neck and the usual swelling and bruising. It put a fright into both Anna and Glenn, so they'll be a little more cautious in the future, I hope. Anna and Glenn both have an adventurous and youthful outlook on life and I hope they never lose that lifestyle. They live a free life and are both wonderful people.

It must have been horrible to be trapped under that rubber raft, and just as bad for the husband not knowing where she was in the dark water. I am amazed that he did locate her just in time to save her. It appears that you had your hands full, but that is what friends are for. Thanks for sharing this story, enjoyable reading.

I think it would be neat to live on a boat during good weather, but not in the winter or when there are storms. I still remember what happened to that fishing boat in that movie named "The Perfect Thunderstorm." Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

They sound like delightful people who are living their life to the fullest.

Well done.

Calm seas

Mikie

Anna and Glenn are a truly amazing couple and I am fortunate to call them my friends. Anna was a rock photographer and used to cover The Beatles when they were just starting out for the British equivalent of Rolling Stone Magazine. Glenn was a fashion photographer in London and Paris, imagine being a straight guy working in that industry in the 60's and 70's, WOW!!
They met on a greek island back in the 70's and got together when they met again by accident in London years later. They were photographers in Bermuda for years and then switched careers to become carpenters. That's when they decided to build their 52' ketch, Great Bear. They built my boat Plumbago as a trial run and then spent the next 8 years building their floating home, Great Bear. They sold their house to pay for the boat, bought some land on the Caribbean island of Nevis and built another home there. They sailed around the Caribbean on Great Bear for years, coming back to Bermuda or Nevis when they wanted an extended stay ashore. Last year they finally sold the house in Nevis.
Now they bounce back and forth between Great Bear in Bermuda and their cottage in Wales.
Lots of great tales to tell and just terrific people to spend time with. They'll be off again to Wales by Christmas and I won't see them again until next summer. I always miss them when they are away.

True Friends are Like Gold,
Precious and Rare.
False Friends are Like Autumn Leaves,
Found Everywhere.

Cheers,

BDA

that shows how easy is it for everything to change. Boy they are lucky to have come through ok and lucky for a friend like you to be handy.

How old are they?

Glenn is 65 and Anna is 68 years old, so they're not ancient but they are getting a little mature. They still do a little carpentry work, odd jobs and the like to stay active. Here's a pic of them on a snorkel cruise we took together and another pic having lunch on the boat they built.

[attachment 108857 P9240012.JPG][attachment 108858 P9240001-1.JPG]

Cheers.

Eric

something that could have turned into a real tragedy! Glad everyone is okay,and I hope you are catching up on your sleep by now! :)

A testament to the power of the human spirit and the value of good friends.

We are blessed, who can count on at least one true friend.

Many more blessings on you and yours,

Cupajo