Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It reached 102 degrees here today! I hear tell that............

Kelley (Texas)

folks had water boiling in their bird baths, steam coming out of their water hoses, car tires sticking to the road, birds and cats both peacefully sharing the shade of the back yard trees, and even reports of insulation melting off of telephone pole lines...it is hot down here in South Texas. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

n/t

your summers are would do what winter does to me, put me in hibernation. I did go out riding with a buddy. We did a 100 mile loop. It was pretty hot today, around 85, bright sun. I was riding with just a T shirt on so I got a little burn on the arms and face. I did see some nice shots of farms and old homes to take but I'll go back up next week with my daughter and take them. This fella with me had another appointment at 4:00 PM so we didn't do any stopping, just riding a lot of back road. Everyone here is haying now so that hay drying really smells nice. The area we were in is even more quiet than here, more rustic looking. They don't like change at all and prefer you fix up whats there. They do a nice job for sure. I know of 3 black bear that have been hit up that way in the last 2 months. Do you run a heavier oil in your bike Fred for summer? I go on a few sites and see a lot of the guys down your way run 20/50 weight saying the the 50 weight is better where the temps are a 100+ and the heat off the roads even hotter. They seem to think the 40 weight oil gets to thin i the heat. I run 20/40 syn here. I've only had a few times that I was concerned and both were in parades, on 98 degree days moving at a walk for 4 miles.... I no longer ride them..... My buddy next to me on his new Harley in the parade, had big problems and his bike would shut down one cylinder/jug in that enviorment. He ended up with problems with the sending unit. It was still under warranty but it lets you know the high heat in no fast air flow over that engine can cause problems. this Victory is oil cooled also. No prestone, just circulating oil thru and external cooler. Anyhow, fun day.... Geo

PS It was 45 degrees this AM, 85 this afternoon....good sleeping weather.......

My bike is air/oil cooled just like yours. I have had no engine heating problems with the heat using this oil. I may go on a ride tomorrow or Sunday, but will go earlier than normal and try to get back home before it gets over 100 degrees. I take diabetic medications and the doctor does not approve of my riding or doing any physical activity in the heat...but I do it anyway. I am not going to spend my life sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch of this house and watching folks work in their flower beds...wait a minute, I guess if Cindy, the good looking school teacher, decided to work in her flower bed, that would present a different perspective. Folks around here started baling hay late April, but are slacking off now because the hay fields are drying up. Some folks are irrigating their fields and still bailing, but once we go on water restrictions that will come to a halt. Like you, I love the smell of fresh hay. George, I love riding on back roads and viewing old sites too. I am glad that you went on a ride today, hope you can get a few more in before it gets too hot for you. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

cars and bikes. The 20/50 was set up for the V-twins. We had a oil tech at the club a few years back give a talk on oils to the group one night. He had some interesting information on oils. I'm fussy on oil changes and filters and do all my own on the bikes. My victory is low to the ground so I put two nylon slings on it and pick it up with the tractor bucket. Then the bottom is at eye level, so easy to pull the oil filter,drain plug and get it all back together. Just no room there on the ground. While its up I can turn the back wheel over and check for alignment on the belt drive. Also gives me a chance to check under there for dings on frame and clean where I could not normally get at. We have a big ride going on today, but I have a wedding to attend this afternoon for my granddaughter so can't make it.
Tomorrows another story.......Have fuel, will ride.......

Later George-CT

I am tempted to go back to Martindale or Fentress, Texas and take my swimming trunks with me. Both of those small towns were located on the river and had a large swimming area. I could kill two birds with one stone and also take some pictures of the sites that I missed the first time. One drawback would be no way to take a watermelon with me to put in the river to cool for eating afterwards. The swimming hole at Fentress, Texas was located near a bridge...beautiful blue green water. I would guess that there were maybe about a hundred folks swimming there that day. I just wish that it was not so hot...maybe I could ride in the shade. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

had good shade cover. It worked headed north, but not so well headed south and I was on a more open road returning to make time up for the guy with me, so I got a little sunburn. I needed more color anyhow. That water in the river sounds nice. I like water hunting n those. Me and the Excalibur have covered a lot of brooks around here looking for old coins and stuff. When you hit a hot spot, its really great. Most of the hot spots here are from long ago, so once you hunt them out thats pretty much it except for wash downs in the spring from snow melts. Then they get moving big time. Rock bottoms here so lots of turbulence. That hot spots of today where they do swim now are mostly clad coins. I don't have any interest in those. I do hunt some of the fishing holes when they shallow up and fill my collection of good trout lures... Good idea for the watermellon. Thats a great treat on a hot day. Do you guys have any tree covered roads there for long distances? Somehow I see that as open land pretty much and a full day exposure to the sun.

George

At a later date, we will clean them and then buy something that we want. Some folks will use the clad coins to buy old coins that will appreciate in value. This winter, I plan on going back to those two swimming holes to metal detect...maybe I will find a ring.

George, unfortunately, down here in South Texas, most of the long stretches of road will not be tree covered and you are exposed to the sun. A few of the Farm to Market Roads will have a fair number of trees lining the road for short distances, but no such luck on state or federal highways. This is the first year that the heat has given me problems, and that is because of this medication. I remember many a day working on the fence line or clearing brush when the temperatures were well above 100 degrees and there were no problems. At the moment, I am trying to decide whether to ride today or tomorrow, or both days. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

and exposure to the sun, you want to rip your skin off. Really makes you sensitive to it or did me. I like you worked out in the sun all my life on construction and did find, but not anymore. I guess age and medication changes things. yes, I bet those swimming holes will be great when the people leave. I really like detecting in the brooks. Its clear, I like the sound of the moving water over the rocks, or the small fish coming up to pick bubbles off the coil or eat the insects you stirred up from the bottom. Even if you get skunked, your still had and awesome day, not to mention it really cleans out the salt water from the machine. If I've been to the ocean, I make it a point to hunt a lake or brook on the way home....It gets up inside the tubes etc.

I used to do the same with the clad. I got on a kick of buying gold coins. Mostly the older Indian head ones where of them being raised they were carved down into the coin. I finished the collection so stopped doing that. They look like this. http://lynncoins.com/smusgold.htm

Now like you if no kids around I put them in a big 1 gallon plastic bird seed jar. Got lots of those. Fact come winter I pick thru them and find all kinds of stuff I missed in the junk pile. Some better than I thought. Those are fresh water finds. If it isn't gold, salt water really takes a toll on it....Hard to tell what it is at times except for the rings.

Geo

backpack water bottles called a Camelbak, Camelbakand you can just suck on the tube as you ride and need it. I have one