Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It is finally time,,, 1350 or 1500 or MXT or ?

Icehouse

I would first like to say hello to everyone. I am new to this hobby but it has always perked my interest for a long time. I am 33 yrs old and live in SE wisconsin next to lake michigan and I'm in the market for my first metal detector.

I have been searching the internet forums recently trying to get pointed in the right direction as far as which brand/model of metal detector is going to suit my needs best. I am interested in coin/jewlery hunting on land and also on freshwater beaches.

I am very happy to have found this forum and the wealth of information here. From a lot of searching here and abroad and with a 500-800 budget I have concluded on three models of detectors that I "think" may suit me well. These are the Garrett 1350, Garrett 1500 or the whites MXT. There seems to be a lot of praise for the 1350 and I wonder if maybe I should spend the extra coin on the 1500 but I just do not know if I would benefit any from doing so. Likewise there is much praise for the whites MXT but I seem to occasionally read that this machine is not ideally suited for coin hunting as it's blood line lies with gold.

So herein lies my slight frustration and confusion. Am I on the right track in selecting these detectors or should I be looking els where at different models?

Thank-you all for any help or ideas and pros/cons which may help me in choosing my first detector.

I hope a lot of people will answer you on this post than just me. I can't say I'm a Garrett fan, since the last time I owned one was back in the CXIII days (I think that's what it was called). It would talk to you if you wanted. Needless to say I traded it in for a White's. I have a dfx and love it. I'll soon be getting a minelab. The only other brand that I hear good things about is the Tesoro. But for me it's DFX first, Minelab second and nothing third. Just my thoughts. I'm sure others have had great success with theirs. It's like cars. Some love a Corvette, some love a Bentley, some love a VW bug. It's all about what you want. I go by what brand some of the best finds are being found with. So good luck and don't be too quick in choosing. You can get a used better model, for about the same price as a new lesser model. Good luck and keep us posted.HH

The Whites detectors are very good detectors. Be sure to look at the Minelab X-Terra 70 also. In my opinion, the Garret machines are a little dated. They have the screens that show what the coin may be and the depth, but that is not really what you want in a detector. I have the X-terra 70 and love it. Others with other brands might also chime in and give their recommendations. Look at the X-Terra section on this site as well as some of the other detector sections. I'll admit that I'm jaded towards the X-Terra 70. It is a fantastic detector and has an easy learning curve. See if there is a shop around that has detectors that you can try or a detecting club nearby. Whatever detector you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time with it. It's a fun hobby and it sure is rewarding finding coins and relics from the past.

Good hunting, John K

Well, I'm an MXT fan and have found LOTS OF COINS. There are a number of other machines that may be better handling coin machines due to weight or other factors, but don't let anyone tell you that the MXT won't find coins, because it does very well. I have a couple of Tesoros that are better suited for competition hunts due to their light weight and quicker handling characteristics so I don't use it for that sort of hunting, but again, I've found lots of coins in parks and the like with the MXT. It also has the versatility of the relic mode, plus the prospecting mode. The available coils that fit the MXT, M6, and DFX make all three machines good choices in my opinion, as well. The MXT seems to have a quicker learning curve than the DFX and some like the knobs over the push tabs so pay your money and make your choice. All the machines you mention are good machines. My two bits,
BB

Hay Ice House,

This is a very common problem on this forum. I'm afraid you're gonna be over loaded with
well meaning advice. It's impossible to figger out what is gonna work for you.

I suggest you get an entry level detector. If you get a good one, you will have a good back-up.
People who spend a lot of money and don't like the machine they got, may tend to quit out
of frustration. They think it's them and not their high dollar machine.

I have been through several metal detectors. Still got four.

Don't think this is a joke!

The top of my list is a Tesoro Compadre. It cost me $70. They sell new for $152.

I'm not saying that you can make a Compadre do for you, what it does for me.

I'm just saying that the hobby is great, learn first, unless you like buyers remorse.

Then you can get an expensive one if that's what suits you. I like what works for me.

It took me three tries before I found something I liked.

Best of Luck to Ya,

The X Terra 70 is a hard act to follow. Its coil options make it unique. In Australia the 70 rules the roost as far as VLFs go. Nothing comes close.
I use mine for nugget hunting as well as old coins and relics around old homesites on the goldfields. A friend I spoke to this morning lives near the beach and comes up where I live for a bit of gold hunting. He used to own a Sovereign and Quatro and sold them both after he got into the 70.

I have a MXT and a Tesoro Silver UMax, and both are great machines and I recommend both brands and machines highly. To be honest, there are a lot of great machines out there and the best for me might not be the best for you. Asking the forum is a good start, but by the time this thread is done you will have hundreds of responses telling you that a dozen different machines are the best for you.

I would suggest finding a local metal detecting club in the area and going to a few meetings and talking "live" to members about their experiences. Ask if you can go with them on a hunt to see their detectors in action.

If this is not possible, I would strongly suggest going to your local dealers(All Brands) and using their demo units and seeing which one feels right for you. No matter what, do yourself the favor of going to a dealer and seeing each of the units you are considering first hand. Find a dealer who is willing to go out with you and show you how to use the detectors. Do not buy from a dealer who just turns it on in the store and runs a coin or other piece of metal in an air test for you to show how deep it can go. Use a dealer that will spend time with you and show you the ropes. Try out several machines and then make an informed decision based upon your experiences.

Once you decide on a detector, take the time to learn the machine. Use headphones, buy a good pair and you won't be disappointed. Dig a test garden in your back yard and practice with the detector, make sure you mark out your test garden so you remember what is buried where and at what depth. When you go out for the first time, dig everything, no matter if the detector is telling you it is junk. This will help you down the road in understanding the language of the detector when it signals that there is something under the coil. It will also help you develop your recovery technique, before you dig a single whole in a park or in someone else's yard, dig them in your yard so that if you make a mistake it will not cause you too much trouble.

Lastly, no matter what detector you decide to purchase, have patience with it and you will be rewarded. Also, be prepared for the fact that if the detector you buy allows you to switch coils for bigger ones or smaller ones, you will buy them in the near future. You will not be able to help yourself. I started out with the stock MXT coil and now have the 12" spider, 6x10DD, and the 4x6 shooter coil. I use them all and through trial and error have figured out, for the most part, what situations they work best in.( the test garden really helps in this regard). I am up to two coils for the Tesoro and would buy more if my wife would not notice!

I wish you the best of luck on your quest to purchase your first detector and welcome to a great and rewarding hobby.

The prospecting mode on the MXT is it's own beast. There is absolutely no problem finding coins or anything else. Top end detector with all you need. in my opinion you would have to step up to the GTI 2500 to be competitive with the MXT.

If you have done any detecting, get a middle to higher end detector but.... But if you have never been detecting no... Remember there are a lot of high end detectors in closets all over the land. Some of these detectors never see the light of day for years and have only a few hours of use on them. Many are sold at rummage sales for hundreds of lost dollars for the buyer, years or decades later. It takes a different kind of person to stick to this hobby year after year. It is a frustrating hobby and it takes lots of patience. I have been out 4 hours so far this season and have found 6 coins, a toy truck and a gold plated pin. It also takes a person who likes to be outside in different kind of weather conditions. You have to like the hunt more than anything else. If you don't it will be very boring and a lot of wasted time finding close to nothing. It is a hobby that you will never stop growing with. Just one different kind of find will start you on discovering a new hobby from you finds. You look for places to hunt and start talking to people about what was here and how long ago was that. It is like almost everything can be connected to metal detecting. Just one more thing. My wife can not see when I come home totally exhausted, sun burnt, dirty, every bone and muscle aching after hours of hunting with 43 cents and an old spoon. She just doesn't see that this is fun or rewarding?
For a detector: one from a metal detector dealer. It has to be light, easy to use, functional, I would go about $200 + or - .
Just in case you don't think much of the hobby. You will have a few hundred bucks to buy a bat to beat the crap out of the detector when frustration sets in. Z

I have an MXT and Minelab Quattro. I simply can't imagine a better machine than the MXT. After about three years' use, I have finally come to appreciate the nuances of the Prospecting Mode. I use it almost exclusively now and it's like a whole separate machine from the other modes. I'm constantly amazed at how well the Prospecting Mode and a little Excelerator 5" DD can pull good stuff from really heavy trash. Most any good machine will do the job for you once you spend enough time and effort to communicate with it effectively.

Marc

Hello again and thank-you all for the very helpful and informative responses.

I am grateful to hear some of the other models that you have mentioned here besides the ones that I have originally mentioned above. I, though new to this hobby am willing to undertake the trials and tribulations of learning so as to hopefully improve my detecting skills from behind the curve to hopefully ahead of the curve. As they say " the sky is the limit" and ironically this hobby will have my intentions in quite the opposite direction of the sky.

One thing that I am interested and worried about is the ability to beach hunt in the local fresh water. I was hoping to wade out into the water of lake michigan and many of the local lakes/ponds/streams at maybe knee depth max to do some detecting. Is detecting in the water a possibility with these land units or do I need to consider a totally waterproof unit?

By nature I am a outdoors person and anything outdoors is nothing but bliss in my eyes. Detecting in the rain at night time would be on my to-do list if it is possible.

I am now researching some of the Minelab and Tesoro models that have been mentioned here too. In fact, everything that you all have said to here so far is being taken into consideration.

I agree that this is such a great hobby and in my honest opinion this is a awesome community that has been assembled here.

If you can please post more if you see fit....... Grateful is the only way I can express my response to you all.

It sounds like you are really committed to getting going in this great hobby. I'm going to chime in again about the X-Terra 70. The 70 will do all the things you want to do and do an excellent job at them. The great thing about the Minelab is the easy learning curve. It is a very sophisticated machine that minelab has made easy to use. The different coils at different frequencies makes it very versatile. All the coils are waterproof except for the 5" X 10" DD. Go to the minelab section of this site, look at the FAQFAQ post. There is a video there showing how to use the 70. Follow the steps used in the video and you are off to some great finds. It's not a turn on and go detector, but learning to use it well takes far less time than other detectors in it's class.
Whatever you buy, I'm sure you will love the hobby. Welcome !!

Good hunting, John K

Hi icehouse:
You said you were in SE WI. I live in Milwaukee. I do mostly beach hunting no water. I also do tot lots. If you are going to do a lot of beach hunting the 1500 is a poor choice. If you are near Milwaukee I will be glad to meet with you and you can try my detectors on Bradford beach or ???? I have a Tesoro DeLeon and White's XLT. Let me know? Z

i have not used my 1500 for prospecting,and i havent used it at a beach.but for general coinshooting i think its as good as anyones.its a simple machine to operate,has good depth and the imaging will save you a lot of frustation.i have been mding for forty years and i am kind of a lazy non technical hunter,but i have found a lot of coins and jewelry.i have heard that its not the best salt water machine but i dont see where you would have any problems on a fresh water beach.

>>>>>Likewise there is much praise for the whites MXT but I seem to occasionally read that this machine is not ideally suited for coin hunting as it's blood line lies with gold.<<<<<<

Wow. Theres one I never heard before. Of course the MXT is good for coin hunting and also relic hunting. The MXT was made as an all arouond detector with GMT capabilities for gold nugget hunting. The MXT is right up there with the X-70 or close.
RR:detecting:

Good luck! There are so many good machines. Everyone will tell you many machines rock! I am in the same boat as you! I have been researching for a couple of weeks now. I have only been detecting for a few months with a begginer Bounty Quick draw and also want to upgrade. I am most interested in coins/jewelry, and finally decided on the Whites Matrix M 6. I got a great deal from someone on this forum. I researched the M 6 and it sounded right for me. It's a little heavy-just over 4 lbs....but I ca take it. The deal I got was the M6 with a 950 and 53.coil, covers, and a digger plus shipping for $650.00. That was the absolute best I could find. Larry with NWI Detectors could sell me one for just over 600 new. The one I am getting has been used twice.

Good luck. Trying to decide between all the models drove me crazy...I think I spent about 20 hours researching...asking various forums, etc...

Todd

The 1350,1500 and MXT are great detectors.The 1500 will give you better sizing information.The MXT is probably the best all around,and they hold their resale value.

Sounds great Todd.
Sooooo we'll be seeing some of your finds soon?:beers:
Know you'll find some good stuff! Whates has good machines.
RR