Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It has been raining here for days

Royal

We had gone to a greenhouse yesterday and bought some plants for the garden so this morning, in the rain, I went out and planted them. It was just a light rain so it was nice and cool and the bugs were absent for a change.

When I finished I decided to go out and check my minnow trap that I has set on a remote stream. I have been catching them to put in my garden pond to eat the bugs and just watch. I have set up a second small pool to waterfall into the original. I hope to put in a larger one in a year or so but I enjoy what I have.

I checked the trap and it was empty so I decided to go out a two track to see what I could see, I like just exploring and enjoying nature. Last year I came across a Painted Turtle right on the two track laying eggs in a small depression that she had scooped out with her rear feet.

As I was driving down the two track I was thinking that it would be neat to see one laying eggs again so I could check the incubation period and try to be there on the day they hatched. Sorta neat to see I was a thinking. I came around a little bend and looked ahead and there was something in the middle of the two track. Too big to be a Painted Turtle but it sure looked like a turtle laying eggs. It sure was. As I eased up I saw it was a Common snapper. I looked to see if I had a camera with me and found an old one. I had left my good one at home but this old one would be fine.

I took these pictures and then backed out, not to disturb her. I sure hope nobody else goes down the two track before she finishes laying and covers her nests. Stupid people think that they are making the lakes safer by wantonly killing the snappers and that is stupid. I have NEVER heard of anyone being bitten by a snapper unless they were tormenting the things.

Well I got home and downloaded the pictures and then did a google on the turtle to see when I should start watching for the hatching. This is what I found. 55 days to 125??? I don't figure I will be a seeing those little guys hatching. You can see the one white egg under her tail in the one picture. I have no idea how many she had lain but didn't want to bother her any more than I already had.

[attachment 94208 Untitled-1.jpg]

[attachment 94209 Untitled-2.jpg]

[attachment 94210 Untitled-3.jpg]

[attachment 94211 Untitled-4.jpg]

[attachment 94212 Untitled-5.jpg]

[attachment 94213 Untitled-6.jpg]

we have had way too much cool rainy weather also. I suspect that those eggs could not hatch after being driven over and the ground packed hard? Must be the occasional vehicle goes through?

later I come back and see where the eggs have hatched. I can not believe they can even dig in some of that stuff.

At a park down below I saw a bunch of old turtle nests on the side of a steep hill, across the road and at least 60 ft above the pond. I could hardly climb the hill but the turtles did and lay their eggs. There had to be 15 nests in a small area. There must have been something about the drainage they liked

We have snapping turtles here that are pretty good size. Way back when my buddy from Lafayette Indiana would catch them just before he went back home for vacation in July. He caught them for meat and the shells and said it would pay for his trip out there and back.
He said most of the really big ones were not caught that often back there anymore as to many hunting the, but here no one seems to hunt them so he was having a field day. These were more tan in color and seemed to have plates on the tail like structures. I know they had a nasty set of jaws on them.

Been hot here for 2 days now, in the upper 90's. Way to hot for us snowflakes. I have the fans going in the barn for the horses to cool them down some and the wife will spray them when she is out there. I've been seeing the mid west has been taking a beating in the weather, looks like you have also. I saw on TV where something passed thru Waterford and put down some tree's. Anywhere near your place there?

Geo

I just called my mother, who lives in Keego Harbor, about three miles from my brother and she is still out. My brother took his generator over for her to use and she now has lights and can run a couple fans. She is ok.

It is nice outside right now and is suppose to be nice for the next two days. I think we might hit the river tomorrow if it holds.

I have a 6000 watt generator but have rarely used it

I would have loved to have been there and seen it too. The snapping turtles down here have a neck that can stretch out and bite you. I have never been bitten by one, but I hear tell that they do not turn loose for a long time once they get a hold of you. You took some good pictures of that turtle. Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed the pictures and story...have always enjoyed animal stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have seen them four times as large as this one or more. It is a pleasure to witness nature.

you have gone back and picked up the momma turtle and all the eggs and moved them closer to your house in the yard, or would she just abandon them? Neat photos! :)