Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Issue with ground balance and modulation

cypearl

Last summer we had a discussion with an Altahama's post about GB and then another issue appeared for modulation, well about GB I have a good solution for it. At first set your machine on auto track and let the detector to balance at that time it will be too noisy for a while till is GBalanced that will take maybe up to five minutes, I think this is why some guys in the forum gets tired with it cause they believe that the detector will never be GBalanced or V3i can't be GBalanced. Once it is GBalanced turn it to Locktrack, and thats all with this. It will be even with high gains and discrimination very quited. Now for modulation I do have no understanding. Is it for quitening deeper targets? cause to be honest I used it from 'off ' to 2 or higher setting and it didn't make any deference to me in the field and air testing. V3i can do much as I saw by far but I thought could it be something wrong with my software? Thanks in advance for any help.

I am wondering why you would choose this method of ground balance when it is so simple to manually GB. After that you can run it in auto or lock.

chopperj said:
I am wondering why you would choose this method of ground balance when it is so simple to manually GB. After that you can run it in auto or lock.

OK, an update for what I ve been saying above. On auto track can be used high gain and low discrimination, lets say 15 for gain and 60 for discrimination and this got to be the beginning of GBalancing. Once is quite you lock it.
Chopperj it is just for making it easier because many people they found it really difficult to GB cause V3i gets too noisy and even in locktrack. Unless you use the ground probe and you know where to lock but for newbies ground probe it would might be difficult to understand right from the beginning.

I've got the ground balance procedure in my links. A manual balance is always indeed the first step. Then you can leave it on auto for a few minutes to get an average of the ground then Lock Track if Lock Track is what you want. If you hunted one type of ground the day before and a different type the second day it could take a great deal of time for the detector to adjust. There is absolutley no reason to not start with a manual balance. after digging in auto track if the detector gets noisy a manual ground balance is required.

Many people using a DX1 have balance problems. This because they are switching between the 1" DX1 coil and their main coil which is much bigger. The after digging the detector gets noisy. Not ground balancing is a major cause of peoples problems and it is so easy. The MXT and M6 use the same method.

I try to GB MY v3i and everytime its always pp'ing and never GB'ing no matter where i am so i wait till it auto GB and leave it there. I must be doing something wrong cause i don't get depth.Only surface.

Bad G/B will do that. If you aren't pinpointing you are doing it wrong.

Pull trigger and hold.
Push enter and hold
bob coil
Release enter
Release trigger.

GroundScanner said:
I try to GB MY v3i and everytime its always pp'ing and never GB'ing no matter where i am so i wait till it auto GB and leave it there. I must be doing something wrong cause i don't get depth.Only surface.

As Rob describes it is manual GB. And its right.
Just drop Discrimination and raise Gain as I described above and leave it in autotrack. When it becomes quite and you know where is iron for sure now lock it (with locktrack). Then you can raise the Discrimination again with no false signals at present and you will be amazed. Know that that 10" dd coil is a medium dimensions coil so it has a limit. Bigger coils are for deeper targets.

Anytime you change a gain setting you need to G/B again.

Rob (IL) said:

Rob is correct! If you ground balance, then loc track and THEN adjust your gains, your ground balance will be off because the detector is seeing a different field of soil than it was previously set to with a different set of gains.

magic said:
Rob (IL) said:

Rob is correct! If you ground balance, then loc track and THEN adjust your gains, your ground balance will be off because the detector is seeing a different field of soil than it was previously set to with a different set of gains.
Thanks Magic that could be obvious but for v3i not necessarily cause with gain you can just change the depth, but may be not the ground mineral. So it would not matter.

I may have not understand what you said, but any time you change one of the gains you need to G/B. If you don't and are hunting in lock you are not operating correctly. If you are operating in auto you are wrong until the auto can catch up.

Improper G/B causes loss of depth, incorrect VDI, falsing and many of the problems people need solutions for. Keep the G/B correct and many problem will disappear. Thanks Magic for the comfirmation.

If you change audio, screen settings, recovery, or filters no re - G/B is needed.

That's a personal choice, some people like to hunt primarily for the deep targets and that is when modulation comes in handy. The sweet soft tone of a deep target really makes you stop in your tracks without even looking at the display, you just know it's a digger what ever it is. Others on the other hand like the deep targets to sound strong so they don't miss anything. :shrug:

Ok, thanks Larry, but I do not know, my Modulation it seems that is weird on my v3i. I have it on 2 setting and it does not seem that it is functioning. I have checked it with air testing as well. Rarely I do hear a very low in volume good like sweet tone as you said to Know that it is deep. I thought on 2 setting it should be just a bit lower so you can distinguish it is deeper target. But I run a high volume for target tone about 55 setting but that one appears to be very below. Barely to be heard and it appears very very rare. any help appreciated

Just increase the modulation if you don't see the difference you want. Low settings are hard to distinguish. Target volume of 55 seems high and I don't have the best hearing.

'Ive always wondered why I would want to make the deepest, hardest to hear signals harder to hear yet. Again this is personal choice.

Modulation

Ok Thanks Rob and Larry. I am not using it as well as Rob saying but It is good know . So I should not worry it's something wrong with the detector?

I don't think you have anything wrong.