Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is this normal?

RonNH

I finally got to take the XL Pro out for a serious hunt. I was running it pretty tame with GEB/DISC and all the knobs on the "P" setting. I seemed to be getting a some falsing and when I looked at the meter, the needle didn't register. I took it out to a field where I was swinging a little faster and noticed falsing at the end of my swing and the needle pegged to the right and held there until I clicked on the trigger and sent it back to zero. I thought it might be hot rocks, so I switched to Hot Rock Reject and this tamed it down a little. I also decreased the Signal Balance a little but I was still getting the falsing, but not as much. Also when the coil bumped against a tree, I would get a beep. Does this sound like a loose connection somewhere, a bad coil or is this normal for the machine?? BY the way...I managed to pull a 1918 Merc. and some wheaties out of the field. The tone on those hits were unmistakable and I was amazed at how the machine ID'd them. I am in no way an inexperienced user with about 4 years with only White's machines but this falsing seemed a bit unusual. Thanks for any help, Ron

can you get another coil to test to see if you get the same results? Years ago I had a bad coil that acted similar to what you are experiencing. Also, make sure that your coil wire is not flapping and causing a false signal. On some detectors, if you lift your coil at the end of the swing you will also get a false signal. You might also want to use the metal detector in your yard and see if it still shows the same symtoms. Kelley (Texas) :)

I was using the stock coil. I have a 5.3 coil coming, so I will test it on that one or if my dealer lets me, I'll put another stock coil on and try that. This is kind of a sticky issue because I just bought the unit, it was out of warranty and had less than 10 hours of use. I know coils can be defective right from the factory so I want to make sure that is the problem before calling the previous owner. I had one other coil act like this, a HotHead 5.5 from KellyCo. I just thought is was super sensitive and traded it. Thanks for the reply Kelley, I'll let you know how I make out. Ron

I would think that he would go to bat for you and let you try another coil.

If you discover that the original 9.5 coil is indeed defective, I would replace it with the Blue Max 800 coil. I strongly recommend the Blue Max 800 over the original 9.5 coil. Your meter will still correctly I.D. coin size targets, but your depth reading will be off just a tab. You will lose little, if any noticeable depth of detection, but target separation will be better. Then when you get a few dollars ahead, purchase the Blue Max 600 coil for high trash areas.

Ron, sometimes things like a bad coil, defective meter or whatever happens, this is normal...this is just getting the bugs out of the detector so that you can move on to finding some good treasure. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I need to find out if it's the coil, then I will contact the seller. He said if I didn't like the unit, he would buy it back. So maybe he would do something on the coil. I would hate to spend $100 to replace that coil right off the bat. Anyhow..off to work. Ron

It may also be tuned a bit too high, if you've got it cranked up for depth you might have it tweeked too much. I have the 6000 DiPro SL and when I've got the sensitivity too high it acts the same way. Are you certain of your ground balancing technique? If not properly set the 6000 can change threshold tone as you raise and lower the coil the way you mentioned.

Hey Ron -
I use a Whites DI6000 (among others) and I notice that I get false signals whenever I am near strong radio or electrical interference (RFI). I understand that you are "out in a field", but what else is around you? I live within close proximity to an local AM radio station, and I cannot detect in my own back yard with the Whites unit. The Mine lab Sov has no problems with this. The Whites unit also dislikes electrical transformers on the pole or overhead AC lines. It drives it nuts! I usually have to turn the sensitivity way down in order to detect. Once, I was checking out a site near the local commuter train tracks and I could tell you when a train was coming long before anyone else could hear it! So maybe the cause is RFI. Just a thought. - JH

n/t