Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is there a simple answer??????

arkiebilly

Hello everyone,
[size=large]
Just two more days till I are in possession of the Ace​
[/size]

But, I do have a question about frequencies. The Ace 250 operates on 6.5 kHz. The Whites M6 operates on 15 kHz. And the X-Terra 70 can operate (I don't know if it is a choice) on 3 kHz, 7.5kHz or 18.75 kHz. Why is there such a difference in operating frequencies. Is there real evidence that one is better than the others? If one frequency is not, better, then why doesn't everyone go to a multi frequency machine????

A link to that information would be great.... don't want to tie up someone's time on instruction..... but, it is a strange thing.

OK............[size=large]anybody got any extra coils for the ACE250 they want to let go?[/size] If so, please PM me...... I am looking. I probably should have gotten a package deal from the main source, instead of getting just the basic machine?????? Don't know that for sure.

Thanks much,
Bill

First learn to operate it with the coil that comes with it then think about other coils. Frequencies are established for best all-around hunting. Higher frequencies are generally found on gold machines because that's what it takes to find the small gold. Unless one is hunting all kinds of stuff all over the globe multiple frequencies aren't required. Different metals respond better to different frequencies. Equipping detectors with multiple frequencies drives the cost up. Look at the new Whites Vision - $1700. Want to buy two or three? :)

Bill

Thanks Uncle Willy,
I will work with the stock coil.... I think that is reasonable. Thanks for the info about frequencies, and the tip on getting to know the coil that comes with the machine. And yes, I did purchase the Vision today... hope it's a good one...... NOT :rolleyes: OK, quick different subject, why no ground balance on the ACE 250???? The 5ID does not have and external ground balance, but it is adjustable with a small screw driver. I don't see anything mentioned about the ground balance on the ACE 250.
Bill

GB is fixed on the 250 and it works quite well.. Another thing that drives cost up. The more bells and whistles you add the more it costs and soon it's priced too high for most to afford. GB is too much of a hassle for most newcomers anyway and isn't needed unless you live in an area with really nasty ground or you plan on hunting nuggets - in which case you should have a gold machine that is set up for nuggetshooting.

I'm curious - why did you buy a Vision and a 250? The Vision is quite a handful and even the old Pro's are having problems with it. I call it a "video game on a stick." :) A buddy of mine will be sending me one sometime soon to play with for a few weeks so I can see what all the ranting and raving is about. :)

Bill

SORRY UW,

When I put that "NOT" in there, I thought you would know I was joking.... even if I could afford it, I have been married 45 years, and don't want to go up for adoption at this late stage..... no one would want me :laugh:

I have had a few visions, but not the detector type, in fact, your reference is the first I have heard about it.... so we will be listening for the results of your Vision experience.

Bill

Sorry, guess I missed your disclaimer. You've been married a year longer than me - a lifetime. HA. It would be a cold day in hell when I laid out almost $1800 for a detector. One could buy seven 250's for that amount and you don't have to have a college degree in electonics to operate it. :)

Bill.

Bill, you stated above that the GB is fixed on the 250. But on the Garrett website it says, "ACE 250 auto-adjusts for ground minerals."
So I'm a little confused. The reason I am interested in this is because I am looking at getting one for my kids. And since we go to the California gold country it would be better if the detector really did have a ground balance function. Could you please provide a little more details?
Thank you!

Hey, GoldChaser is right!
The Garrett site says the 250 has "auto adjust" for minerals!!!!! The 150 specs doesn't say that!
Wonder if this is something new or a typo????????

HI arkiebilly,
I just read your post re detector frequency.
The basic answer is that frequencies in the range 1 to 3 KHz will penetrate salt mineralisation quite well but is not to flash in iron mineralisation therefore you would us this frequency for saltwater and fresh water beach detecting. The range from 5 to 8 KHz is not so hot in salt conditions but goes deep in iron mineralisation, therefore this frequency is great for gold detecting and produces good results from small shallow targets to large deep stuff. The 18 KHz and up range does not penetrate salt or iron mineralisation very well but because the signal is high frequency it is more concentrated close to the coil than the lower frequencies and can be made to produce a strong response from small gold close to the surface , therefore you use this frequency when searching for very small gold.

A detector equipped with these three frequency selections is quite versatile The 3 KHz frequency which is good for salt beach detecting will not work as well as a PI detector in the same conditions but on the other hand the 3 KHz detector can be set up to discriminate very well whereas the PI discrimination is not so good.
Adrian SS