Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is there a best metal detector?

blazer35

What I have determined with the Equinox 800, Anfibio ,xp deus, which I have, and hunted with, is there a detector that can actually discriminate between various targets and give you the information you seek, and if there is such a detector, and does it exist? what would this cost? just curious, because all the manuals say with various programs if you do this, then this will cut out gold or chains, or coins, and if you do that then you will find a lot of junk, I guess if there was one then we would all have one. What about big heavy military detectors will they discriminate targets , never used one but maybe guys on this forum have. I know you can do various tricks with programs to help you discriminate, just asking if there is an answer. Hey I'm retired and have a lot of time on my hands to write forums.

(Relatively) short answer:

No, there's no 'perfect' detector. Never has been. Probably never will be.

If there were, two things would happen:
1. Everyone would own one.
2. Everywhere you hunted would 'dry up'...as everyone would only be capable of finding exactly what the other guy already found.

It's like anything else. If there were a perfect car, then there would only be one car sold.
Replace car with phone, tv, etc...

Edit:
Additionally, perfect (or best) for you, isn't necessarily perfect for me...or the next guy.

trojdor said:
(Relatively) short answer:

No, there's no 'perfect' detector. Never has been. Probably never will be.

If there were, two things would happen:
1. Everyone would own one.
2. Everywhere you hunted would 'dry up'...as everyone would only be capable of finding exactly what the other guy already found.

It's like anything else. If there were a perfect car, then there would only be one car sold.
Replace car with phone, tv, etc...

Edit:
Additionally, perfect (or best) for you, isn't necessarily perfect for me...or the next guy.
Exactly right what makes a good detectorist is machine setup and taking your time I see guys going way to fast I take my time and find some very nice things then I go back over the area with different settings or different detector..
Works well for me
GL HH

There are good gold machines.....good coin .....good field and relic machines. That kind of says it all. There are trade offs because of freq requirements.... each machine can be engineered differently. Some may do it better than others. I’ve also found some machines fit US better than others. Targets like gold.....the metal mix makes for such a wide range.

Yeah just like everyone else I'm still waiting for the detector that can tell a Gold ring from a pulltab

I keep thinking how nice it would be if my detector reads 14 it means a 14K gold target 18 for 18K gold etc..

The best detector is........

the detector that you learn to use. Knowledge is power and success, not how much $$ you spend. :detecting:

Like trojdor alluded to: Be careful what you wish for..............For me, it's not knowing for sure what the next thing I dig will be!!!

Iowa Dale

The answer is yes there is a "Best" detector ... but only if that answer is qualified as to what you are searching for and where you are using it.
Add in the fact you need to actually learn to use the machine properly ... and you have the "Best" detector.

I have always wondered how you can possibly know what targets you missed in an area you just hunted?
If you did not find it how do you know its there?
I think we all have hunted an area a second and third time and still found things ... what does that tell you?
Your detector is defective or you are defective?

It's kinda like the perfect woman. Way to many variables and things change. Also perfect for whom? What may be ideal for me is not so much for another. I have nearly a dozen detectors in the garage and one perfect woman in the house. If I had to have only one detector and it had to last until it died, I'd keep it in the house too. If I tried that now I'd lose the perfect woman or end up in the garage with the perfect detector. Luckily, I don't require perfection like my wife does...

My thoughts exactly Tom (about myself, that is)!:lmfao:
pasttom said:
It's kinda like the perfect woman. Way to many variables and things change. Also perfect for whom? What may be ideal for me is not so much for another. I have nearly a dozen detectors in the garage and one perfect woman in the house. If I had to have only one detector and it had to last until it died, I'd keep it in the house too. If I tried that now I'd lose the perfect woman or end up in the garage with the perfect detector. Luckily, I don't require perfection like my wife does...

I think a lot of it is figuring out say a new machine and knowing others you have used. Sometimes there are so many pluses to a new machine........ BUT those pluses have nothing to do with the target you are looking for. We may call ourselves coin hunters....... but like kids we like to see just what that thing is in the ground. So the new machine is giving you a LOT more of those WHATS-ITS than the coins you say you are looking for.

Of course there is. :thumbup:

Rich -

There are machines that will find everything.. there are machines that will find nothing at all..
but there are no machines that will find specific things.
I guess it's pick your poison if you want to find less than anything or more than nothing.

geo

There is a "best for this job" metal detector, but nothing can do everything. The closest we have seen to an "everything" detector is the Equinox, simply because every mode is basically a different metal detector.

Jason in Enid said:
There is a "best for this job" metal detector, but nothing can do everything. The closest we have seen to an "everything" detector is the Equinox, simply because every mode is basically a different metal detector.
Yep to what Jason said the nox is a great all around machine especially if you beach hunt Its basically now my go to detector..
I hunt a area then go back over in different settings and it does a great job on "hunted out" sites.I have over 100 silvers since the new year and a lot of spending clad and one Gold sapphire diamond ring..
Mark

I agree Jason......but coils could make it an even better detector for each of those modes

dewcon4414 said:
I agree Jason......but coils could make it an even better detector for each of those modes

Absolutely! Even beyond just personal preference, some hunts really NEED a 5 or 6 inch coil, and others NEED that 15 inch monster! The wrong coil on the best detector could really make it a complete failure.

Willee said:
The answer is yes there is a "Best" detector ... but only if that answer is qualified as to what you are searching for and where you are using it.
Add in the fact you need to actually learn to use the machine properly ... and you have the "Best" detector.

I have always wondered how you can possibly know what targets you missed in an area you just hunted?
If you did not find it how do you know its there?
I think we all have hunted an area a second and third time and still found things ... what does that tell you?
Your detector is defective or you are defective?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

Sensible post Willie.....of course there are several 'best-detectors'.

Findmall proves that by the need to promote the many forums neccessary, to satisfy the hobbie's participants and their choice of units......'the best'

I guess that 90% of detectorists don't know the basic science of the hobby; but that doesn't matter if you use your common sense and learn by practice.

An 'EXPERT-DETECTORIST' is one who digs EVERY target response that falls within the discrimination-criteria of his choice.

An 'EXPERT-METAL-DETECTORIST' is one who knows the significance of 'IN AIR TESTING', and relates it meaningfully, to 'IN_GROUND' relevance.

There is no such thing as a worked out site...but rather a well swept 'surface'.

Think as DEPTH being aproximately related to your search-head's 'average-diameter', and multiply that by your intended target's mean diameter....

The major variable being the soil's character and the FREQUENCY you're using to probe it..............matt