Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the T2 Special Edition worth buying vs. the regular T2?

tmoffatt

Nice to see that the T2 Special Edition is out (again). But is it worth the extra money to someone starting out?

tmoffatt said:
Nice to see that the T2 Special Edition is out (again).
Yes, it's nice to see Teknetics offering great detectors, but keep in mind that it's not a complete 'make-over' and the standard T2 is still a very good unit. I know I don't plan to replace mine 6.5 version T2 anytime soon, and I could if I wanted to.

tmoffatt said:
But is it worth the extra money to someone starting out?
It might be worth the difference in cost, and it might not. Also, what do you mean by "someone starting out"? Does this mean you're just starting in the hobby of metal detecting or just "starting out" using a T2 with some other detector experience?

Also, you didn't describe the type(s) of detecting you plan on doing, and are you sure the T2 is the right model for you? As I stated above, I don't plan to replace my T2 anytime soon, and one reason is that while I use it, I don't use it the most. Instead, most of my detecting is handled by my Omega with either the stock 10" concentric coil, or the 5" DD when I work the very trashy sites and/or close to metal structures. When I feel a need for the 11" DD coil for coverage and a touch more depth I can mount the 11" DD on my Omega, or more easily just grab my T2.

So, fill us in on your detecting experience and what type of hunting and sites you plan to work. We can all help more. The T2 is a very capable detector and serves many quite well, but it might not be the better choice for you.

Monte

I like to hunt the colonial sites out in the woods so i am considering replacing my 6.5 t2 with the T2 limited.
The extra couple of inches of depth will really help me and there is hardly no trash.
So i would agree with Monte it all depends on what type of detecting you do.
But if you do not own a T2 yet why not spend a few more hundred on the ltd it would probably eat you inside wondering if the regular was the right choice....
John

When you say "someone starting out" this leads me to think that detecting is all new to you. If so, take a hard look at the Tek Omega 8000, It is getting a lot of extremely good reviews. Don't think that a $1000+ detector is always the best option.

Thanks for the input - all is good advice for the mix in the decision process. From conversations over the past few days, I do get the impression the T2 special edition has a circuit system that is a little quieter, a little deeper - and basically an incremental change. What attracted me in my reading to the T2 is a good base of knowledge on this site and elsewhere on different settings to work with. For me this is not likely to be an all-consuming activity (it likely would be if I lived in England!) but I am tecky-oriented, so the two T2 models seemed a good route for me. thanks again everyone.