Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the CXIII outdated?

SandCat

I have a Grand Master Hunter CXIII which I've had since 1995. It seems funny to me that they don't seem to be talked about much anymore. Are they outdated?
I talked with technical support at Garrett yesterday and was told they can't hardly work on the CXIII machines anymore as they don't hardly have any more circuit boards left. They don't upgrade them either (that was my question.)

I'm thinking about getting rid of mine and investing in a new machine. It doesn't have to be a Garrett.

I live in a mineralized area-- lots of iron ore.

I mostly do coin hunting and relic hunting. I'd like something with good depth. Something I could use on a beach occasionally too.

Any recs?

Welcome to the forum!:bouncy:This is a wonderful community and a great place to share info.:garrett:Feel free to ask for advice at any time.:wiggle:
Regarding your question on a recommendation for a new machine, I personally would highly recommend the GTI 2500. It handles mineralized ground very well and is excellent for any of the scenarios that you mentioned. It's the machine that I use most often. However, if the GTI 2500 is not in your price range, the CX Plus is an excellent detector and handles everything you mentioned quite well. Also, you can use the same searchcoils on the CX Plus that you use on the CXlll that you already have.

Best of luck to ya' whichever machine you decide to get.:biggrin:Happy Hunting!

- - Even today, it is one of the deepest in the all-metal mode. It is probably still rivaled only by the GTI 2500 in that mode.

But in the VLF DISC, it has a preset ground balance, which hinders it to some degree - particularly in highly mineralized soil.
It is also needlessly clunky, IMHO.
Added to the fact that it is approaching obsolescence on the repair front only makes it worse. I had one repaired earlier in the year, and was told the same as you. I'm glad I was able to sell it at a fair price.

I think perhaps it is time to step up. Todays models have auto tracking in any ground conditions. The newer Garretts go one step better by having "smoothing" circuitry which better deals with the harshest of soil conditions.
I think metal head has given some sound advice.

Try the 2500. The MH has been around forever and in discriminate not a world shaking performer in the depth department plus it's target response and recovery sucks. In all metal it is surpassed only by the 2500 and I imagine parts for it are getting scarce. Unless Garrett sells a ton of them I doubt they will be investing in any new parts. JMHO.

Bill