Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it worth the Dig?

gware12

I have read alot of post and it seems that alot of people dig foil and up signals. I think I am going to do the same. Any comments

you will be getting a lot more trash out of the ground than you can believe exists.....seems like every item made in the last forty years falls into the aluminum-trash signal range for most detectors.
Of course it will be a trade off. As others have posted hundreds of times before, gold and many jewelry pieces will show up as a trashy signal.
Ya gotta ask yourself if it is the way you want to spend your day. You can dig the "sure-thing" signals twenty times a day and end up with a bunch of coins or dig two-hundred signals a day and end up with "who knows what".
It is just a trade off on how you want to spend your day.
Happy hunting and leave those holes in as good as shape as possible.

It's worth it to me. But there's a catch. If I hunt in the dirt I'm more than likely NOT going to dig all the foil. I will dig a lot of it depending on the site. But what I've been doing is hunting more sand and bark chip areas. This is easy digging! The sand is my favorite! On sand I dig everything above iron. Just last Sunday I dug a 14K gold ring that hit in the foil range. I only had about 12 dug targets on 1 was a ring! Not a bad ratio. This doesn't happen all the time. But what I can tell you is most of those 12 targets were pull tabs, foil and I dug one nickel. So this site has been hunted before me with high discrimination. I knew someone before me left me the gold because I didn't dig any high coins. You don't want to be the one that leaves the gold in the ground for me - do you? I'm hoping you do!!! One gold ring is worth a month of digging clad coins!

I have to agree with Khouse. Just depends where your digging.
ALmost all foil that I have dug has been junk but I did hit on a gold bracelett that was in the foil range. It was about an inch in the ground.
Usually where I have been digging, at sports fields, anything from 1-3 inches usually IS foil but when it reads further, 4 inches plus, I dig anyway because I have found the accuracy deminshes the deeper the target is. I have had readings on my MXT that indicated junk at 6inches and I've puled up quarters and other sundry things. It gets really tireing and wastes alot of time but DIG EVERYTHING.

Robert R

I usually start off every hunt digging all good 2 way signals no matter what they are. If I get tired of digging the same targets, such as a certain pulltab I'll back off a bit. When I do find a gold ring on a land hunt, it's usually near the start of a hunt while I'm fresh and eager to dig. My ACE 150 will give me a little gold clue......especially on a foil signal that sounds a tiny bit different than foil, not sure how to explain it but it screams.........DIG!

Craig

Like others have said it depends on where I am hunting. It is unlikely someone loses a ring just walking in the park. It is usually where some action has taken place. Volleyball courts, Tot lots (look under the swings first. Mamma swinging baby. Sometimes a rings comes loose and is lost in the chips or sand.)) Where football is played---Frizbees are thrown ect....Jack

All depends on the area and sometimes my mood - but typically, I will start out digging all foil signals. Then after some point which varies, if I get tired of digging foil signals with less than desirable results, I may not dig anymore of these signals. But if a signal or two pays off, then I'll be inclined to dig more of these signals. Some days, there is a limit and sometimes, time may be a factor.
When relic hunting, I tend to dig more of the foil signals, especially the deeper ones. This has payed off for me a few times and I sure was glad I kept digging the foil signals. But I also have a tendency to dig iron signals in relic areas also.