Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it true BH are same as Chinese listed on eBay ?:blink:

Minermangold

Seen circuit board from tracker it was small and did have very much to it . It was a light machine and felt flimsy , I thought coil was going to fly off. I could not get it to be very non noisy in yard. It did detect metal . We set up a simple bench test and our results as follows.

Nickel 3-3 1/2 inches
Quarter 6" inches
Ring med. Gold plain ( broken) tone
Necklace gold. No response
Penny zinc. 4" inches
Square tab. 6" inches
Nail (5 inch). 6" inches
Soda can. 8" inch ( whisper)
Metal plate 10" inch round. 8" inch deep

Is this a common air test ?

I have no idea of what you are saying. Is there a Chinese copy of a BH on ebay or something? Please explain.

Mark
Elite 2200

This guy is obviously here for one reason only...to bash BH...probably a disgruntled Minelab dealer who is loosing business to First Texas Products...
Again...one simple solution...If it bugs ya, do not respond...
I gave this guy the benefit of the doubt at first, but after reading his posts, I am done responding to him...I suggest you all do the same.

HH,

Well, it got a little crazy in this thread, and some posts got deleted. Minelabman or whatever his name was, probably went bragging to his buddies how the BH crowd panicked.

There were two things that stuck out in the whole conversation.

1. The guy didn't know anything about BH and was just making stuff up. He was so creative that it was hard to tell what he was even saying.

2. He turned out to be a Minelab shill concealing his identity.

Some of you have read essays about metal detectors I've written for a general audience. I'm respectful toward the company that writes my paycheck, but beyond that I am a spokesperson for an industry that I've been in for 28 years, having worked for several employers who are now competitors. There are things I like and don't like about specific products, even ones I've designed; and things I like and don't like about our competitors. They're in business because they offer something to someone that we didn't. And vice versa. I respect competitors.

Now, since a few people reading this forum may be newbies, I figure I oughta clear the air a bit.

Bounty Hunter is manufactured in El Paso, Texas, with the exception of one low end product some of which was manufactured in China for a little while but I don't think we're importing them any more. Most BH designs are traceable to the 1980's platforms of George Payne, one of the most repected engineers in the history of metal detecting. Over the last several years we have made major improvements to those platforms as well as introducing entirely new products. The Bounty Hunter trademark is associated with products which offer excellent value in the low to mid range of the metal detector market. Bounty Hunter products as well as private label variants of BH products are sold through a wide variety of venues, from mom-and-pop storefronts to the Internet and mass retailers.

Bounty Hunter is manufactured under the same roof by the same people who make the venerable Fisher machines as well as the new Teknetics line. The Fisher and Teknetics trademarks are aimed more at the high end of the market and for sale through local dealers, although there is some crossover with the BH lineup. For the last several years the chief design engineer for all of them has been myself, Dave Johnson, who was the primary metal detector design engineer for Fisher from 1981 through early 1995.

The BH lineup are mostly products which have been around a while and have been revised as necessary to eliminate any problems. Nothing's perfect, but our BH products are on the whole very solid and reliable machines, well-proven designs of engineers who put their companies on the map with leading-edge high-performance machines. In the mass market, we dominate, holding our own against Chinese competitors because our products are better even though we can't match their low costs.

In metal detecting, what you paid for the machine is not necessarily an indication of how well you will do with it. Most of the BH lineup are easy to master, whereas some high-end metal detectors take a long time to master. And, the kind of "beeping" you do also matters. In gold prospecting, high performance is essential to get good results unless you happen to be darn lucky, whereas in many types of coinshooting the details of how features are implemented counts for more than sheer performance. And, some people like lots of features to play with, whereas others like simplicity.

I will now sing the praises of our Tracker 4, a low end metal detector that's been around for longer than I've been at First Texas, and the boss never let me redesign it because it's almost impossible to find someone who has one who isn't happy with it. It may be ugly, but that doesn't stop it from working good. It will only find coins to about 6 inches or so deep, but in a public park or tot-lotting, more sensitivity than that is as much a liability as an asset. ......I used to know a guy in Colorado who took up metal detecting briefly and blew a lot of money on high end machines (including one I'd designed), and he was ready to give it all up when his wife bought him a Tracker 4 for Christmas. All of a sudden, beeping was fun, and he mastered the machine. In a public park or tot lot, guys with expensive machines couldn't touch him. He got a kick out of following right behind them and showing them what they left behind, and even ID'ing it through the feel of the sound better than their visual target ID systems did.

Now I'm gonna disturb Mr. Minelabman or whatzizname: my favorite low end machine is the BH Junior, although I wish we offered it in an adult mechanical configuration. It's very easy to use, with smooth and predicable responses, and expressive audio and tight motion pinpointing. A couple years ago a priest friend of mine asked me to locate a child's bracelet lost on the front lawn of his parish church, so for me the question was what machine to use? There in engineering dept. I've got BH's, Fishers, White's, Minelabs, Garrets, Tesoros, stuff you never heard of and prototypes you'll never hear of. Small target on the surface in an area where there would probably be a lot of trash. I could have picked anything, and I picked the BH Junior. I didn't find the missing bracelet, but I'm confident that the metal detector didn't miss it, the bracelet was not lost where the girl thought she lost it (and she was unsure where she lost it, she was just guessing).

The BH Platinum is a medium performance machine, recent design on an entirely new platform from which the Fisher F5 and the Teknetics Omega were also adapted. Some people even say it looks good. They're not all as homely as the Tracker 4.

There are a lot of BH products, I don't have space here to discuss them all. Some I like better than others: some I personally don't like but other people think they're great. I'll defend the lineup by saying that they're good products for the money, and that in many circumstances they can hold their own against much more expensive machines.

And since Mr. Minelabman or whatzizname is probably following this thread with glee, I'll remind the cuss of something. Which is that Minelab's products qualify the company as a worthy competitor, but not all Minelab shills can be considered worthy to touch a metal detector, be it a Minelab or a Bounty Hunter. The phrase "a disgrace to the hobby" comes to mind.

--Dave J.
Chief Designer, First Texas Products & Fisher Labs

Hey miner man. Not sure where your getting your info, but its way off. Was you and your buddies drinking when you did the test? Or are you trying to bash ?

Lol,,, Last thread wasnt enough? had to start another.

Lets talk about you. Do you need some help with your detecting skills? I can help you if you like. IF you cant find a single coin after hours of looking no matter what machine your using. I may be able to help you.

Just ask me any question, and i will do my best to save you from quiting the hobby of metal deteting.I know its tough,,,, but try to express your feelings.

I know you dont understand how most coins are under 8 " and almost any machine will pick them up ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with proper ID. I know it hurts,,,and that you thought you have the only machine that will do that. but sorry BHers can do it also.

Be good and good luck wt your problem.

I will be here for you,,,,, all you need to do is ask. Lets talk in person.

Dave J, Thanks for taking the time to give some insight on the subject. I think minermangold made a few valid points but overall was intending to start trouble. Like coil availability and water machines? Both valid points I thought (sorry, different post). Can we throw in a plea for an inline probe while we're at it? :smoke: Minermangold, air tests are laughed at and not viewed as a valid test of a machines performance regardless of which machine you are using. My full sized F150 air tests at about 3 1/2 feet in all metal with the 10" coil. whoopty doo. I would love to run minelab's $200-300 machines head to head with BH's. Yes, that would be all ONE of them, the x-terra 30/305. The x-terra's are notoriously lousy coinshooters and ID just as bad. The higher end x-terra's (multi-frequency) require you to buy 3 coils, 1 coil for each frequency. This means hunting the same spot 3 times to know you got the most out of your machine. They could probably kick any BH's ass in a gold field though. I have run my BH SSII head to head with quite a few different brands. I can consistently run circles around my buddy's high end minelab, literally. :detecting: I always beat him 5 to 1 in total finds but his fewer finds usually result in a few more older and deeper coins on average. His machine is by far dominant in ID'ing the DEEP silver(8"+) but lousy on gold. Whites coinshooting machines are less than impressive compared to BH. I usually run neck and neck with a buddy using a quantum xt, neither machine really leaps and bounds ahead of the other. The BH and the quantum xt consistently outhunt the ace 250, (but that could be user related). I think the point to be made is the BH's are allot of bang for the buck and a fantastic entry-mid level machine to get people hooked on a great hobby. Like anything else though, If you want the bells and whistles, It'll cost ya'! GL & HH, JJ

His first post in this thread looks entirely bogus. He says he air tested a "tracker" but doesn't say who manufactured it or provide any information that would indicate that it's a BH. On the contrary he does describe what he says he had his hands on as very flimsy, but although our Tracker 4 is light weight, I can't imagine anyone who is familiar with metal detectors describing it as flimsy. ....... Plus, that supposed air test? I don't believe he even did an air test, because the nickel and square tab should have hit about the same "depth" regardless who made the machine. Of course it's possible he literally doesn't know how to do an air test. I don't believe the guy even knows how to use his Minelab. I'm starting to wonder if he even has a Minelab.

His implication that BH "are same as Chinese listed on eBay?" without bothering to provide any additional information whereby someone might check to see what he's talking about is further indication he's just making everything up. Heck, I work at the BH factory and even I can't answer his question because it's so vague.

--Dave J.

Maybe he just wants to argue. Some people are like that. We end up in wars because of attitudes like his. :ranting: :rage:
I hear people on my CB radio all the time when my family and I are going camping, ram-ping and raging on the CB trying to find someone who will respond to his or hers badmouthing over the air waves. There is always a person on CB that is looking for an argument about anything and it doesn't matter what it is! Maybe these people do these kind of things because they are board or frustrated in whatever they are trying to do, and it isn't working like they thought it would. I don't know.
I feel the best thing to do when someone posts a challenge of some sort is to just tell tell them that if they don't like something don't use it, or buy it, and ignore what ever nasty post the instigator responds back, and not post anything back. Just let it go. I know it's not easy to do that all the time, but there is no sense stoking his stove. :hot:

Happy hunting eveyone :detecting:

JJ I will have to disagree on the x-terras being lousy. I have the x-terra 50 and it is really good. I hated it at first but after getting use to it I find lots of coins ,including a 1800's wore out indian the other day. But I really like my Bounty hunter sharp shooter II also . I use my x-terra mostly ,but still take my bh also it discriminates better than the 50. I have no favorite brand bounty hunters are good all the ones I have seen and I have owend two . I found my best find with my bh a class ring which I got to return ,man was that great. The x-terra 30 maybe lousy , but the 50 is good . You are right on the id it could be a little better .

I have had my Elite 2200 about two months now and despite being frustrated at all the extraneous signals, I believe it is a super value for the money. I too am an engineer and understand that a target has properties dependent upon its composition, depth, surrounding soil conditions and orientation and that identical electromagnetic signals impinging upon each target will be disturbed/reflected in the same way regardless of the maker of the detector sending out the signals and that there are most likely no "pockets of knowledge" that exist in any manufacturer's design dept. that don't also exist in any major competitor's. Each maker most likely buys competitor's machines and scrutinizes them and learns how they work and then, within the limits of intellectual property rights, gleans each others better ideas and figures out how to incorporate them into their own product at the various price-points they pursue. Where I live, about 3/4 of the volume of the soil is round river rock 1"-4" in dia surrounded by compact sand and loam. This means that in order to dig down to a 8" deep target requires removing about a cubic foot of material and can take 1/2 hour or more. This adds to my frustration because there are literally hundreds if not thousands of signals in MD areas near me that are 6"-9" deep. Can you imagine the frustration? I know I can't dig them all and the ones I have dug turned out to be fuel pumps and aluminum cans etc.

Regarding the BH Jr. It is not made in the USA, but is made in China. That is ok for it is indeed an interesting and worthwhile machine. I don't think it is worth $70 but there are plenty to be had at less than half that price and that is more reasonable. On another thread I asked about the different technology used on the Jr. vs the Elite 2200. I like the thought of the Jr's tone changing based upon the size/distance of the target. Dave, will you please give a quick explanation as to the different technologies of each?

Thanks,

Mark
Elite 2200

I just went through and read all the post on this thread. I didnt do that before my above post. oops.(Not so bad though.)
Thanks dave you are da man. I'm done wt minor man and will try to ignore all his post in the future.
I am completly happy wt the 2 BHers I have.And have found alot of good coins wt them. Its hard not to get defensive.I got a little caught up in it.
Good Luck

mwaynebennett said:
I have had my Elite 2200 about two months now and despite being frustrated at all the extraneous signals, I believe it is a super value for the money. I too am an engineer and understand that a target has properties dependent upon its composition, depth, surrounding soil conditions and orientation and that identical electromagnetic signals impinging upon each target will be disturbed/reflected in the same way regardless of the maker of the detector sending out the signals and that there are most likely no "pockets of knowledge" that exist in any manufacturer's design dept. that don't also exist in any major competitor's. Each maker most likely buys competitor's machines and scrutinizes them and learns how they work and then, within the limits of intellectual property rights, gleans each others better ideas and figures out how to incorporate them into their own product at the various price-points they pursue. Where I live, about 3/4 of the volume of the soil is round river rock 1"-4" in dia surrounded by compact sand and loam. This means that in order to dig down to a 8" deep target requires removing about a cubic foot of material and can take 1/2 hour or more. This adds to my frustration because there are literally hundreds if not thousands of signals in MD areas near me that are 6"-9" deep. Can you imagine the frustration? I know I can't dig them all and the ones I have dug turned out to be fuel pumps and aluminum cans etc.

Regarding the BH Jr. It is not made in the USA, but is made in China. That is ok for it is indeed an interesting and worthwhile machine. I don't think it is worth $70 but there are plenty to be had at less than half that price and that is more reasonable. On another thread I asked about the different technology used on the Jr. vs the Elite 2200. I like the thought of the Jr's tone changing based upon the size/distance of the target. Dave, will you please give a quick explanation as to the different technologies of each?

Thanks,

Mark
Elite 2200

Mark, river rock alluvium can be pretty bad stuff to beep in, because modern "motion" metal detectors look for variations in signal, and the rocks throw a bunch of signal variation at the circuit and dare it to guess was it a rock or a piece of metal. Usually it tends to throw off target ID more than sheer depth.

The BH's use four basic technologies.

1. The all-analog machines that don't have an LCD readout, and the discrimination is continuous. The BH Jr. and Tracker 4 are examples of this kind of technology.

2. Most of the BH machines with target ID on an LCD readout are microprocessor controlled sampled systems which have evolved from the original Teknetics back in the 1980's. Examples are the Time Ranger and Pioneer 505, as well as the Elite 2200 which Mark mentioned..

3. Several of the low cost BH machines with target ID on an LCD readout are microprocessor controlled sampled systems of more recent ancestry which is a lot less expensive to manufacture but which lacks the performance needed in the more expensive machines. Examples are the Discovery 1100 and the Pioneer EX.

4. Finally, there are the Gold and Platinum which are based on a new platform which does much less in circuitry and much more in software. Their discrimination and ID systems are a proprietary mixture of continuous and sampled signal processing.

The BH Jr. was initially manufactured here in El Paso, and later we contracted with a company in China to make them according to our specifications. Meanwhile we continued to manufacture here in order to supply variants and to fill orders quickly. The BH Jr. is long since out of engineering dept. so I'm not directly involved in its sales and shipping issues. I know this spring I saw a lot of 'em being manufactured on our production line, and I am under the impression that with the down economy we are probably no longer receiving units made in China, but I don't actually know. In any case, if someone gets a Chinese-manufactured BH Jr., it is a design which was engineered here in El Paso and the product carries the same warranty as our Made-in-USA units.

Some people get all worked up about the possibility that a metal detector might be manufactured in China, whereas they buy all sorts of electronic stuff that comes from China and are happy with it. Admittedly there are metal detectors manufactured in China and sold here which were designed without benefit of the expertise found in the major manufacturers, and nearly all of those are inferior products. But that's not because they're made in China, it's because the companies are newbies who don't quite understand metal detectors yet. Ten years from now, Chinese might be formidable competitors.

--Dave J.

Are you are talking about a Tracker 2 , a Tracker 4 or a Fast Tracker model? I have a Fast Tracker model. I just got it new, and though it has a lower rod for the coil assembly that is fiber glass or plastic, it has enough strength to handle any reasonable treatment...as long as you don't go around playing golf with it you should get years of use from it. I have not done an air test as extensive as your claims, but this detector will pick up a quarter at about 4 inches in an air test...5 inches if the coin is moved very rapidly past the coil, though the tone is crackling a bit at that distance. It will pick up the same coin in the ground at a solid 3.75 inches with the tone starting to sputter at 4 inches. In both types of test the coin was held or positioned flat relative to the coil to help the wave reflection. This is with a 4 inch " Gold Nugget " coil, not the stock 7 inch coil, which might interest you considering your user name. I get the feeling you have the Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker or Tracker 2 model, the latter of which having a manual ground balance feature despite its Lost In Space looks, which should help you in your quest for gold depending on how effective the circuit is. Ultimately it would seem that you have this latter model, the Bounty Hunter Tracker 2. I am basing this on your concern that it might be a Chinese unit, and the fact that the Chinese manufacture Famous Trails makes a model that looks very similar to the Tracker 2. An honest mistake. I find the Bounty Hunter brand provides about the most bang for the buck you are going to find. Your test information, if accurate, would seem to me to be pretty good, meaning the answer to your post ending question is yes. I have had a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, a 505, and I have a Tracker 4 coming and just received the Fast Tracker. I like this brand. The Fast Tracker only cost $49 shipped. All low end models regardless of the manufacture will end up sharing similar traits, this is common to most things in the world. Your detector, if it is in fact a Bounty Hunter, is not a chinese import as far as I can tell, unless it is one of the types listed in a previous post on this thread. There you go...

Hello Dave Johnson. I've purchased quite a collection of vintage and modern Bounty Hunters including your company's very first one; the Bounty Hunter (I) BFO from 1971(?). I was wondering about a specific metal detector I just bid and won on, off of eBay. It has the exact same configuration as the Fast Tracker but is simply called the 'Metal Detector'. I'm not being funny. It doesn't have any words/markings to suggest it's a Bounty Hunter but it does have the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV shaft/armrest with a 7" solid coil used on the Fast Tracker. There are the two knobs on the front of the control box. The control box is the typical oval-shaped 'pillbox' shape, exactly the same as a Tk. IV and the Fast Tracker along with several other models that you or George Payne designed that have that same 'pillbox' control housing design. It has the combination 'On-Off'/Volume/Sensitivity turnknob, and also the two-tone I.D. 'Discriminate' knob. The emblems are yellow with the words 'metal detector' on the faceplate of the control box and on the top of the searchcoil and have a comedic picture of a country bumpkin in overalls and suspenders searching with a metal detector. I just wonder who made this machine? Or is it a re-badged Bounty Hunter knockoff of the Fast Tracker? Any help as to who made this detector would be much appreciated. I know your original post is 5 years old now but I was writing this new post in the hope that you, seeing as you helped design a lot of Bounty Hunters and/or maybe someone else who has one of these might be reading for new posts and also be able to shed some light on this model and/or brand. Thanks for any help you or anyone else can give me. Sincerely, Greg.

Tallon, I am willing to guess that if it is the exact same case as the other bounty Hunter units, it is a genuine BH product that has been produced for a large box store. Dave J has said in the past that he believes that low end copies would not be made of units like these. I am sure it is a fast Tracker. The copies would be better suited of the T2 level.

Thanks Bucksport. Now we just have to figure out which of the large box stores this was sold under. No, kinda just kidding, LOL. It would be interesting though, at least to me. No one would know though unless I was lucky enough to get a hold of a manager who's worked at any given dept. store for at least 10, maybe 15 years seeing as the BH Fast Tracker's been out for appx. that long. Nice little unit. Very lightweight and the Fast Tracker has the same weight as the Tracker IV which I also own one of. Not a depth demon but nice and light and still goes appx. 8" on a quarter, of course, depending on the soil-type, density, moisture content, etc., etc. So in summary, this 'Metal Detector' is just a rebadged Fast Tracker made to that store's specs. Thanks again Bucksport for the confirmation of what I kinda suspected about this 'no-namer' unit. Ps. the BH models it seems, are also popular on the beaches as their lightweight lends them to being able to be swung around for hours without one getting tired out while using them.

Would you guys allow a newbie to chime in?

I did a fair amount of research before buying my units.....both Bounty Hunters. The Tracker IV was my first unit. Bought it in Oct 2013 using gift money from my son and daughter in law. Had a lot of fun and success with this unit. Spotted a Lone Star in a local hock shop. Thought long and hard, consulted this fine forum, read and read, finally deciding to pass on it. Glad I did too. I purchased my second unit, the Legacy 3500, in March 2014. I find myself learning something about it almost every time I go out.

I down loaded the 3500's owner's manual and read it several times before I ever even ordered mine. As such, I was fairly well familiar with its operations......enough to basically put it together, take it to the back yard and promptly find an 18k plated ring about 8" deep. Not bad for my first find!! Several hunts later I found my first silver, a ladies ring in a tot lot.

Granted, I have only owned two units in my life.....both of them Bounty Hunters. And that's not by chance.....it's by choice. I am "brand loyal" until a manufacturer screws up enough to loose my faith and business. Notice I said "my faith" first. I will defend a manufacturer until they no longer defend their own product with warranty, customer service, pride, integrity and honesty. Fortunately, I have not had to test Bounty Hunter/First Texas on any of this. My units are both working flawlessly.

I chose Bounty Hunter over all the others for a few reasons.
1) They are highly recommended as a great "entry level machine." (I find this to be somewhat offensive....more later on why this offends me.)
2) They are very reasonably priced.
3) Bounty Hunter offers the 5 year warranty. A quality manufactured product can make this offer where others can only offer a 1 or 2 year warranty.....and still charge more for their product.
4) Customer service is exceptional......or so I have been told and read on several forums. As I said earlier, thankfully I have not had any reason to return either of my units.

So when asked what I swing, it is with pride I tell them both a Tracker IV and the Legacy 3500. I have so much pride and I readily recommend these units to everyone who will listen.

Ok, I realize I have NO IDEA what it takes to manufacture a metal detector. I don't need to know what it takes. All I need to know is how charged are my batteries, is my coil plugged in, are my head sets ready? I know that realistically I will NEVER find any great artifact or treasure simply because of where I live and where I do most of my hunting. I'm ok with that. I just love to hear the unit sound off and dig that find!

So here's my beef........let's stop calling them "great entry level" units!!!! I say we all need to start calling them exactly what they are.....GREAT UNITS that will give you excellent service for at least 5 years! That's why you warranty them for 5 years right? Because you, the factory believe they are that good?

Yes, we know there are other models with all the whistles, bells and ding-a-lings included. So what? Does the average detectorists really need all that for a tot lot, city park, the beach or a swimming hole? This newbie thinks not. Most detectorists I have talked to in person and on these several forums rarely detect in all the environments known. I believe most of us hunt pretty much in our own local and may hunt in just a few of these typical areas. Point is, knowing what you are hunting for, where it may possibly be buried, your hunting style, how quick a detector recovers, and so forth, all need to be considered BEFORE making your purchase. Be realistic in your expectations and don't fall prey to the hype on TV. REMEBER, it's a TV show and it is scripted to some degree.

Ok, I got off tangent a couple of times there. So I'll close by saying BOUNTY HUNTERS ARE GREAT MACHINES.....NOT JUST GREAT "ENTRY LEVEL" MACHINES!

HH y'all.

Frank

Frank, nothing I can add to what you have said, you nailed it all perfectly.
If it is fun you want in this hobby, follow what Frank says.
Well done my friend
HH all

I need to make a correction to my earlier post. I mistakenly stated I found the gold ring about 8" deep. That is wrong.

I went back on my other posts and read the actual depth was about 6" deep.

I'm getting older, have less hair on top of my head, so thoughts escape pretty easily. LOL

I apologize for staing the wrong depth.

HH y'all.

Frank