Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it safe to store your Garrett in the trunk?

:hot:Hi. Weve had our Garrett detectors for about 3 months. No really hot temperatures here yet, mostly in the 70s. We keep them and our other brand detector in the trunk or our Nissan Maxima. Its really conveinient for last minute detecting.
Will this hurt them on hot days? The trunk dont get direct sun (its dark of course) and is well insulated, but will the tempatures get too high?
Anyone else out there store your MDs in the trunk over summer?

The dust is a real killer, as it can get inside the electronics and cause electrical problems. I don't think 70 degrees should cause any problems. Keep the machine(s) in some sort of a protective case.

No, storing your detector in your trunk on hot days can damage your detector. Below is a quote from Garrett Owner Manual " Avoid extreme temperatures as much as possible. such as storing the detector in an automobile during hot summer months or in freezing temperature."

Oak = sweet home Alabama

Only if it doesn't get to hot. I carry mine in the back of my van all the time unless it gets blistering hot then I take them out.

Bill

I had a Crossfire coil actually develop a 'bubble' on top while trunk-stashed. Heat isn't real nice to electronic components.

Skillet

When I take two detectors out on a hunt (which is most of the time) I have to store one in the trunk but only temporarily. I always take them into the house in extremely hot or cold weather. I am guessing the trunk isn't quite as bad as the open car interior where the heat builds up due to the glass windows? Jim

Dunno..A trunk can get pretty hot if the sun is beating
on it all day. I once remember having a webcor reel to
reel tape deck in a trunk one time years ago. Some of the
pieces on top were plastic. IE: where you feed the tape,
etc. That deck was left in a hot trunk one time, and it
got so hot the plastic actually melted and sagged, deforming
it's normal shape. The deck still worked, but threading tape
was a new adventure, being it was all warped and deformed.
I wouldn't leave anything valuable in a trunk in the summer
if I know the direct sun is going to be on it.
It would be ok if the trunk is shaded though.. Just the
summer heat alone is not enough to hurt anything. But
you get direct sun hitting the trunk, and it's a whole new
story. :nono:
I imagine the darker the color, the hotter. I prefer white
vehicles for this reason. Both my present trucks are white.
It does make a large difference vs a dark vehicle.
MK