Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Interesting sterling find

Bob in SoMd

Hi all,

3 short hunts = 3 silvers. I had no idea what the utensil was. Thought it was a pie server that got cut but realized it wasn't. Did some searching and found out that it is called a 'baby food pusher'. Never heard of that before. The stamp is a cross with the letter 'M' through a crown. No idea on the age.

Thanks for looking.

[attachment 177750 SterlingBabyFoodPusher2.jpg][attachment 177751 FoodPusherStamp.jpg][attachment 177753 SterlingBabyFoodPusher.jpg]

Excellent Hunt bro. My wife said that the pusher is from the victorian era and is used to push the food around for a baby. You got it right !
Nice silver dime and quarter. Love to find a merc like that. Great stuff!

Nice silver Bob. That "baby food pusher" is a new one to me. Really nice find.

AWSOME finds...
That pusher is one you don't see very often.

HH

Now that's a cool and unique find. I wouldn't have known what it was used for and I've never heard of a baby food pusher before. I've learned something today. :surprised: At first I thought it was a crumb rake for the table. :confused: Love the coins too! Great detecting and thanks for sharing. HH, Nancy

Thanks everyone. Glad I'm not the only one who had never heard of these! I really like speculating how something like this gets out in a yard. A kid looking for something to dig with, and mom's not looking is my bet...

Anyone have a way to research the hand stamp? Not that I think it's that old but I like to do as much research as I can.

Bob

Bob,

Nice find!!

The maker of your "baby food pusher" is "Manchester Silver Co. Providence Rhode Island, 1914 to 1985, Founded in 1887 as W.H. Manchester Co., makers of flatware and holloware. purchased by Boardman in 1985".

The maker's mark has changed slightly during the company's life but not that much, mostly the crown, the top of the crown on some of the marks are just pointed and others have the "ball/circle" at the points, I haven't found which mark is earlier as of yet, it will take a little more research to find that out.

Some sites say that the life of the co. was from 1904 and others say 1914.

http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_M.html

http://www.silvercollecting.com/silvermarksM.html

http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERMARKSMN.html

Skip

Skip,

Thanks a lot! Very interesting. Great links. I really appreciate the research.

Bob

This is pretty cool.

Well, I think I found out a bit more about the Food Pusher thanks to Skip. It appears that this is made by Manchester Silver Co. The pattern matches their 1936 "Beacon". This fits the site which dates from 1942...and I imagine by then, a resourceful 6 or 7 year old was in need of a digging tool and grabbed the best closest thing they could find...

Good luck to everyone on your next hunt.

Bob

Great research. Thanks for the info. I bet you're right about the young child needing a digging tool or maybe a road grater. HH, Nancy