Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium coils

Rockpile

anyone else having troubles with Infinium mono coils? I have had 4 failures with 8 inch monos in about 6 months.

Yesterday I received a brand new 10X14 mono and it was bad out of the box. Just makes unstable random noise when in the water and not very quiet on dry sand. It is useless as is. i will return it. that will make one 8 inch and one 10X14 plus a set of submersible headphones back for repair in the last week.

K

I haven't heard anything recent about coil issues?

What color is the coil cable? If it's the older grey sort of flat cable, that could possibly explain something?

I just started using my new 10x14" several weeks ago and it works fine.

Might be something with the detector? Maybe a bad connector on the control box that's intermittent?

My Tesoro had an issue like that with a defective connector. It had a bad connection which first appeared to be my coil.
I connected another coil and it worked fine for awhile but started acting up again after time. This really made me nuts until I figured out and fixed the issue!

I don't know, might be the same thing (hope it gets resolved fast)!

Thanks!:thumbup:

The Infinium was designed for GOLD PROSPECTING AND DIVING not beach use. If you want a stable beach machine get a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II PI. Garrett is tired of all the complaints with people using a GOLD MACHINE for beach use. Even though it works well there if you know how to adjust it. Never had problems with my mono coils, but I use mine for what it was designed for...the Gold Fields.

Ok though maybe you have had real bad luck with your mono coils, which sux. Hope you can find a remedy.

Alan

Rockpile,
I got my Infinium in January and the 8" mono shortly after that. The 8" worked fine until I was wading in the salty sea and it started making erratic noises so I changed coils and batteries. I used it again a month later and was fine until I hit the water again. There must have been a leak in the connection at the coil. I contacted Garrett and they said they would replace it for me. Good company. Maybe a bad batch of coils made back then. I hope you finally get everything working so you can loot, I mean clean those beaches...
kak

bearkat4160 said:
The Infinium was designed for GOLD PROSPECTING AND DIVING not beach use. If you want a stable beach machine get a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II PI. Garrett is tired of all the complaints with people using a GOLD MACHINE for beach use. Even though it works well there if you know how to adjust it. Never had problems with my mono coils, but I use mine for what it was designed for...the Gold Fields.

Ok though maybe you have had real bad luck with your mono coils, which sux. Hope you can find a remedy.

Alan

The Infinium was designed to work in all environments and I use mine at the beach all the time.

Yes it's very sensitive and designed for gold (good for any type of gold). However you're right, if you don't want to spend the required time to learn how to properly adjust and set it up correctly for beach hunting, then grab a Sea Hunter and you'll be much happier! The Sea Hunter is a fine rated beach and diving machine for real "turn on and go" ease and has found plenty of treasure to prove it!

I nearly gave up on the Infinium in the beginning as I use it for salt water hunting (It did take awhile to learn the tones and proper settings for a smoother running machine).

But it sure hits hard on the gold jewelry in my bad black sanded area beaches.......that's why I luv it!:thumbup:

I only use the mono coils now and like the 10x14 best for overall use at the beach (not dry sand)!

If a bad batch of coils went out that would really stink..........If that's the case then Garrett will make it right, that I know!

HI Rockpile,
What are you doing to establish that the coils have been faulty? Sounds a bit odd having so many dud coils in such a short time.

When at the beach, ground balance over the wet sand before going into the waves. as per the following.

Switch on, SET DISC TO ZERO, set threshold to around 4 to 6, set mode to slow or fast track and bob the coil up and down over the sand until you have the best gb that you can get then select Lock and recheck the GB; If it is still out a bit then set the disc to about 3 and see if that smooths the threshold out. If it doesn't then try some other disc settings, you should not ever have to go above 4

If you try to RE- GB in the water than remember to reset the disc to ZERO BEFORE YOU START and reset mode to fast or slow track and repeat as above.
Donot bring the coil out of the water while GB,ing, this will screw the Gb something cronic.

According to Garrett's own advertising the Infinium LS is an All Weather..... All Terrain Unit.
I much prefer their explanation and areas of usage.
It was the major reason why I purchased mine beside from it being a lower prised s/hand unit, first owner did not achieve expected result on the West Australian Gold fields, lucky for me.

I to use my Infinium LS at salt water ocean beaches and it is not the sand or salt water that make it erratic to use in those places but the bombardment of outside electrical interferences.
To perfectly shield a single frequency PI detector from outside interference in today's uncontrolled frequency filled environment would be considered a good job.
To shield a 96 simultaneous frequency PI detector with ground balancing ability in this same environment is going to be a challenge of proportion.
If it should ever happen it would be a very desirable detector.

If a Garrett PI detector was primary to be used for beach/water hunting I would choose the Sea Hunter Mark II over the Infinium LS, simply because the Sea Hunter have a no motion detection mode, much easier to pinpoint with especially when in chest deep water. My old Sea Hunter have been instrumental in locating more gold rings than my Infinium LS at the sea side

I had a 10x14" Mono on my Infinium that leaked and became totally useless.
Residing in Australia it can be hard to communicate with Garrett's service dept. especially when they do not return E-mail enquiries.
Live and learn.
One could assume they do not accept picture of finds and other evidence eider.

ivanll

From the 2010 Garrett catalog Infinium page.

Same 2010 Garrett catalogue, read with an open mind.

HuntingApplicationGuide.jpg

My points come from personal conversations with Garrett about the Infinium being I am a dealer and all. I know people who find gold nuggets with the ACE 250, so what, wasnt designed for that, but gold is metal. I find coins with the Infinium..not its designed purpose, but a coin is metal and the Infinium is a metal detector.

The Infinium was designed for the gold prospecting. Ask Phil who helped design it.

bearkat4160 said:
My points come from personal conversations with Garrett about the Infinium being I am a dealer and all. I know people who find gold nuggets with the ACE 250, so what, wasnt designed for that, but gold is metal. I find coins with the Infinium..not its designed purpose, but a coin is metal and the Infinium is a metal detector.

The Infinium was designed for the gold prospecting. Ask Phil who helped design it.

Thank you for the advise.

I have met and spoken to Phil in person a number of times and have learned not to ask. :nono::nono:

:ausflag::cheers:

Thanks guy, i have been detecting for since 1980. Been in the water since 1990. Used nearly all there is to use. have owned 3 infiniums total. found plenty with them.

I know a problem when I see it. I have spare coils so when one dies which is often, i just switch to a new one. it is just a big pain to have to keep sending them in for replacement. Garrett is good as gold in there service department. I have no complaints there. They are prompt in sending replacements.

I was just wondering how wide spread this problem is. i have a friend on the who is also experiencing problems and one who is not. I have never had a control box problem except on my first which was a very early edition. The control boxes seem to be as reliable as any and better than most. sounds like most of you are doing fine with little problem. I wonder how much use you are giving the machines. i spend about 9 to 12 hours a week submerged.

Phil is going to the states in Aug I think and will be going to garrett, so will wait and see what eventuates from his discussions with them.

Kak, yeah, that is the way mine works,. No problem on dry. I sent them back to Garrett and they replace them with no issue but told me they checked them and they were fine. i believe that to be true as they will perform fine when dry. They suck in salt water once they go. were fine for about 10 to 20 hours of use. i have gone through 4 and am on fifth since last August.