Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Inexperience

joesgirl73

Hi.
I am going to apologize to everyone upfront if this is too long, but I've got my nerve to write and I want to get this out so I can get some help. (HELP!!!)
I have been reading this forum since last spring hoping to glean some knowledge from the ones who'd been at this for a while. I am amazed at the information available, but now realize you have to understand it yourself before you can even begin to apply the tips.
We bought a c.1680 house 16 years ago and whenever we have done anything as far as planting, etc. have come up with stuff. Mostly shards of pottery. In May we bought a second house, c.1660. It all sounds much better than it is, it was in original but totally neglected condition and the town was going to have it demolished. We had it dismantled to be put up someday, sooner than later, I hope. When we were having it dismantled, we were only able to spend week-ends when the dismantlers weren't working at the property which is about 20 mins away. The local newspapers kept running the story, and everytime we got there I was finding that people had gone through the dumpsters, and there were holes everywhere ... once a horseshoe lying next to the open hole. The land had been granted to the family in 1649 and I wanted to get a detector fast and try to find whatever was there myself, before someone else did.
In my defense, the salesguy never said it was only for the experienced user, but I never did my homework, and I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a "turn it on and dig it up" thing either. Thats putting it mildly. I bought the 2500 and all its coils except the 4.5 and 12.5 that day. I've watched the videos, I read the literature and even Garretts book, but everytime I think I have figured a single thing out, the very next day, its like it never happened. Just by the sheer volume of whats in the ground here I have come up with alot of great finds...colonial coppers (extremely corroded), a 17th c button, a brass thimble, and lots of indian arrowheads and artifacts (they were just in the dirt, both homes were attacked by indians in 1676).I have also found about 70 coins dating from 1787 -2004. I had no idea even we were dropping money. The majority of the coins are 1900-1937, which I think is odd since money was so tight back then. While it sounds good, I know in my heart it was pretty much an accidentI found them. Along with that, I have unearthed about 50 lbs of hand wrought nails and every secession up to the roofing nails from another summer project. I have a full understanding of how the nail has evolved if anyone wants to know!
So, I just got the 4.5 inch coil, because I kept thinking "if I just..." As I hope you have figured out, I'm in way over my head. I have no intention of quitting, and I WILL learn to use that stupid thing, but all this to ask: Can I get some suggestions on a second machine thats would allow me to learn some basics? The stuff here is so deep, and I dream of finding a pine tree shilling or other early coin. They had to have had them,and if our original owners were as careless with money as the rest of us on this site,its here somewhere.
I know we have two sites that people dream of...I can't tell you how many have asked to detect here, but I want to find it. That must be what they call the thrill of the hunt... but what good is it if I can't find the stuff? Any suggestions at this point would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED. At the end of a day of hunting, when my arm is falling off and I am filthy with nothing to show for it, I promise myself that I'll quit and put myself out of my misery. Then I wake up the next day and realize I can't stop. Its the best and the worst, and I'm really hooked.
If you're still reading,thanks. You have my promise, I'll never go on like this again, I hope.
But.... someone should warn people about this, or at least attach a disclaimer to the stupid thing!

Hi, I really don't have any advice to give, but it sounds as if you are getting a grip on the 2500. How many hours have you used it? Seems like one day with my 1500, a switch was flipped and it's been good diggin since. You just need to go thru some more batteries. As far as the iron goes, we don't have a lot old square nails in my part of the world, so I always enjoy digging them. Too bad people had to trespass and dig up your property. Godd luck, Eric

I am curious where you live. IT must be on the east coast, my best fuess is VA, or New England.

When I bought my first metal detector, it was as simple as they get. A White's classic with no ID or Depth readout, and only discrimination control. I still use it as a spare. When I bought my Garrett, it had all the bells and whistles, and it was like starting all over again. I am still learning new things about it.

My advice is , stay with it , read the forums, go to schools and parks to practice. You will get the hang of it.

Hi

Get some wooden stakes and mark off 8'x8' sections or smaller. I guess you could even use some bright colored golf tees. Use that 4.5 coil and go over it from all four directions, making sure to overlap your coil passes. I really don't know how the disc. works on a 2500, but you might want to dig every signal. It's your property so you have time. If you dig all the shallower surface targets first, you may see more things under them when removed. I bought my son a 250 and got a sniper coil with it and the small coil really picks out indivdual targets. I use a Minelab Gt and have dug many coins and other objects with deeper targets underneith that didn't show at first. Be patient with your machine. You will just get better with practice.
Mark

Dunno, but I think you may be a bit hard on yourself...
You have already found some pretty good stuff. With a 2500,
I would expect to take a good while to get all the features
down. 100-200 hours wouldn't be too awful out of line, but
will vary to the user. Thats a good machine, and is capable
of going pretty deep too.
I would do it like Maxwedge suggests, and this also how I've
been doing my own yard. A section at a time. For sure the best
way, if those sites are as busy as you say. What I do is visualize
a section of the lawn, and concentrate on it. Get as much of
the shallow stuff as you can get. Once you clean the shallow
stuff from one area, mark off another, and go for it. After
a while, you will clear most of the shallow stuff, and then
can concentrate on the deeper stuff, without the shallow stuff
getting in your way. It makes it much easier if you don't have
to weed through shallow stuff, when trying to dig a deep object.
I don't think you are in over your head at all. If that were the
case, you wouldn't have anything yet. You just need a plan of
attack, and I think section by section, and shallow first, then
deep, is about the best way to go about it. If you really want to
learn that machine, keep a log, and write down the readings you
get per the object found. After a while, you will see a pattern
of what usually reads as what.
You are right about one thing. You are on sites that make me
drool at the mouth just thinking about them. Almost my "perfect"
imagined site for detecting... :) Also, I would dig *everything*.
Much of the "junk" may well be more valuable than the coins you
will find. Anyway, good luck, and don't worry about long winded.
I wrote the primer on long winded posting... :rofl:
MK

Hi;
You didn't get the wrong information when you bought your machine I think the sales person did you a very good service. Im sure you were as excited as you sounded when you wrote at the time and they knew you sounded determined to find everything you could, thus they placed the machine that could do it in your hands. I have both the 2500 and ex 2 and for what you are dealing with you have an excellent machine.
I would first get some posted private property signs and put them up, its your place and your paying for the right to dig it yourself.
For the machine and using it to get the best from it start with the small scorcher 4.5 and cover all the ground with it, then I would go to the 5 by 10 and go over it again and by then you will be an old hand at it and get a 10 by 14 and dig behind it. The elip. DD coils will help you keep down the crowded signals and get depth at the same time. Note; be sure and dig right after any measurable rain or water before you plan to hunt if you can, the moisture is a big help in finding targets. The bigger round coils are great for coin shooting but buried history like your talking I stay away from them I like a elip coil.
Run in zero desc until you get used to it and have some of the junk cleaned out and save the all metals for later.
Gloves and knee pads are handy and Id not forget to run the little coil and a sunray probe on the floors, celings and walls of the buildings; no one made a rule treasures have to be hid in dirt.:)
Your fun is just starting, enjoy: Just my pennies worth :)

Grumpy

NM5K, Writing down the readings is an excellent idea, and a methodical approach would beat my haphazard technique! I spent last spring, summer, and fall's weekends and holidays detecting at the site while my husband and son worked. I only found junk and a few pennies, plus the indian stuff. When were required to fill the cellar once the house was down, we had someone with a bulldozer level the lot. It rained heavy and nonstop for a week after that and when I went back I found 6 early coins and a token in an hour and a half. But the next day, without changing a thing, nothing. While I was there ,one of the off duty police in town that had been watching the house brought a Radio Shack detector that looked like a golf club. It beeped constantly (seriously, nonstop) and he pulled out about a dozen dimes and an early coin that was connected on a chain to what was once a canteen. For me, the best finds so far have been from the walls and between the layers of floor as you said. And you're right about stepping back for a moment to just take in the big picture. Its something I need to do more of. Thanks for some great advice.

I sure hope you have read your manual as the 2500 has several "push and go" features. At one point in the front of the manual it says,"Stop reading here, you have all the information you need to start hunting." That is good advice. First master all you have read to that point and then begin reading the more techical stuff and it will make a lot more sense. I would set my descrimination (sensitivity) no higher than 9. The "jewelry" search mode is probably a good one to start with as it will take out some of the trash, but not everything. Learn to pinpoint as the pinpoint feature of the 2500 is extremely accurate. Practice, Practice, Practice! and you should get better and better at it. Monty

Thanks, Mark. I plan to make my first attempt with the 4.5 coil today. Its finally sunny and its rained for days. I do best in those conditions. When I ordered by phone the 4.5 coil I asked the man what he would recommend for a second easier machine for my level of exp., and he said a Minelab MXT? I have read the recent discussion on the learning curves, and I'm wondering are they different for each machine? Just to have something thats not so heavy would be wonderful. I bet I could out arm wrestle some guys in town after the workout I've gotten!

We are in eastern Mass. Good guess! I'm encouraged to hear that what I really need to do is just do it till I figure it out. Theres no easy way around it. Also,I'll try everything and anything I see as far as tips and techniques. I loved reading the "One Step" and can't wait to try it out. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks, Eric. I am trying to estimate how many hours....I'd say 150-200, but if I am not supposed to count the amount time I spend digging, probably 50-60. I have a really hard time pinpointing and the targets move, or worse completely disappear as soon as I've started digging. Another thing that happens to me is that I dig a hole, and then the target keeps moving to the side and I end up digging channels in my yard. Its a good thing its ours, because I am not to a place where I could dig someone else's property. I think the 4.5 coil is really going to help with that.

Hi Grumpy! I'm glad you think it wasn't a huge mistake purchasing the 2500. I knew I didn't have any experience, but I believe I am smart enough to figure it out eventually. And, I didn't want to spend almost as much and then regret it when I was ready to upgrade. Its more difficult than I thought it would be though! Both sites have tons of trash and its the biggest problem for me...thats close the houses. Where we live we have a field and a river at the back of our property. One of the sons had the first sawmill in the 1600's and the foundation is back there, and it is full of TRASH trash, an old washer, a bike, etc. Up until buying a MD, my thoughts have always been with whats in the house. I am just now trying to imagine how the people would have moved around, and think there must have been a road/path from the mill to the the house. If I could just get away from the trash I think I might be able to learn something and then be able to tackle the yard again. I'll upload a picture or two of the things we have found the past 16 years. Wish I could say it was my "technique", but most of it was found when our septic was put in and when we planted the gardens and put up fences! Thanks so much for the great advice. Sounds really practical. I will let you know my progress.

Joesgirl,

I live in eastern Mass near Concord. As far as digging a signal that disappears, it couldbe the case of a rust pocket that when dug spreads out and is no longer detected. As for pin pointing there is great information on this site and other Garrett forums. I ended up buying two pinpoints one a hand held good for about an inch of depth. This is a Vibra Probe 560. I used it a lot once I had dug a hole and could not find the target. Plus I would go back over the hole and the dirt I dug. This worked for me but I want more depth so I ended up buying a Sun Ray in-line probe which I was using with the Vibra probe. The Sun ray would get me close and the vibra probe would bring me home.

Now I am just using the Sun Ray in-line probe. I let my son use the vibra probe with the ACE 250. I no longer need the Vibra probe when I hunt.

I am but a newbie at detecting but I am still finding coins and other items every time I go out. Most of my searches are about twenty minutes. I have a Garrett GTP1350 which is like a younger brother to your model.

I would be glad to help if you ever are looking for someone to search with.

It souunds like you are doing well and that you are very lucky to have two great sites to search.

The oldest coin I found was a 1910 penny. I have yet to find any silver coins. I find wheat pennies and old nickels but no silver yet but I have only been hunting since late November.

Good Luck.

Farum

Hi, neighbor~ my husband and I grew up in Stow and Sudbury. I'd like to go back home and dig up our yard knowing what I know now! I think your rust pocket theory is probable...everything we find is usually corroded. But the silver, that is always like someone planted it yesterday except it feels almost dry instead of greasy like a coin in circulation. For some reason there has been quite a few of them here and it never ceases to surprise me how careless we all must be with money. It also gives me hope at what may be out there waiting. I need to use what I have before I can justify spending more on a probe. I wish I had invested it instead of one of the coils. This is an expensive hobby. I am gonna take the advice I've been given and try to go back to start and get some of the junk cleared first. Not only were the people that once lived here careless with their money, they were major litterbugs!

I'm gonna try to include a couple pictures of the better looking coins I came up with since starting in May. I actually was out after Christmas on those weird warm days we had. Obviously I didn't detect the non metal stuff, but I thought it was cool and some of it came from the empty holes I was talking about. I will be looking forward to seeing what you're doin down the road.

Really nice bunch of loot!! I've been doing this 7 yrs. and don't have that many oldies. I'd say you are doing great with that 2500!! Keep it up and more should come your way!!

Thanks. I think the 370 years of people living here puts me at an unfair advantage, but I need it! I have found about 8 coins that are large copper somethings. They could be anything, because they are corroded beyond identifying even any detail. I like to put them in one hand and 8 modern pennies in the other and listen to how different they sounded when they jingled them back then....like a tiny glimpse back. They also weigh so much more that might account for how they were lost...breaking through pockets!

Outstanding finds. You seem to be doing quite well with the 2500. You should send those pics into Garrett to be included in their publication the "Searcher." Or you could send pics to one of the treasure mags for a cover shot and make yourself a hundred bucks.

Bill

Joesgirl,

You are finding great stuff. Yesterday I searched on the way home and stopping in Maynard I found 20 pennies (one a wheat penny 1950) and a Christmas tree charm. This was about 35 ~ 45 Minutes but I was also talking with some small kids and digging trash.

Today I stopped again it Maynard on the way home again a 35 ~ 40 minute search at the High School field on rt 27. There was a lot of trash so I dig not dig most but I found around twenty coins a few quarters, dimes, and pennies. I also found a skull/star ear ring.

To date I have yet to find any silver coins so you have me beat by a long shot.

I love your coins. I dug a Mickey Mouse watch last Saturday at a friends house in Westford. Not too old but a nice face and I enjoyed it.

So bottom line is You have great finds and I am jealous of your finds and the sites you can search. Most of my finds are posted on another Garret Forum (Treasure depot).

I may start to post them here too but again mine finds are only clad and old pennies so your find blow mine away.

Farnum

Joesgirl,

They sound very interesting. How much time do you spend searching ? Does your husband ever join you in the search ?

I have only searched with two other people. I wish I had more people to search with. I try to get my wife to jion me but she is not interested.

Farnum