Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Incredible luck part three ........stats and:cry: ........

Wayne in BC

We fished a couple more hours for Salmon, taking four more and releasing three of them in the 15-20 lb range and keeping one 25 lb that Mitch caught. Now we were hot to do the derby two days hence cause we knew where the bigguns were! Did not stay the night and headed for home after taking some nice Cod and Crab for dinner.

We weighed that fish 8 hours after it was caught, it almost certainly lost a couple lbs in that time but it pulled the scale to 53-1/2 lbs! My previous best Salmon had been 42-1/2 lbs, caught in 1975. Wow! Many people will fish the west coast all their lives and never catch a "Tyee" (Native name for Big Chief, applied to big Chinook Salmon, mininum 30 lbs). You can bet i was happy! The years i guided here my clients took many over 30 lbs and ranging to 40+.

Photos were taken when we arrived home, sadly those photos were lost when our sons bedroom was flooded by a broken waterline in 1999, but trust me it was true!

Because we got home early, all the logistics of taking a family wilderness camping were done well ahead of schedule by 2 pm friday afternoon. The derby started at 6:00 am Saturday morning and we left home for the 3 day trip at 3 pm friday. It was a longer slower trip to where we would camp on a secluded beach, the boat moored to an old log boom conveniently located there. The tides here are extreme, sometimes a 14-16 ft swing and beaching an 18 ft 1600 lb boat on or near basketball sized rocks is not an option. With a tent set up just above the beach under a grove of huge cedars we would fish a few hours each morning, 6-9 am, after 9am the odds are poor, first light and last hour of the day is when 90% of the big fish are taken so after the morning fishing the days were spent, exploring, berry picking, picking Oysters, Clams, and lovely big Crabs for our nightly feast from the pristine waters and napping some in prep for 4 am rising:biggrin:

I loaned my 16 ft aluminum boat to my friend for the derby, he and his buddy would fish the derby also and camp next to us, they followed us out to the launch point. That was quite new to them as they were both recent arrivals from the "prairie" and had little knowledge and much enthusiasm. Because we were on the edge of the open pacific the omnipresent 5-6 ft swells had them both kinda green by the time we arrived at the camping area two hours later due heavily loaded boats :biggrin:.....They stayed in the bay for the whole time, but fishing was good there. Me, Carol, and the kids would travel quite a few miles over the next days because........

We caught NO Salmon over 15 lbs during that weekend, they had moved and actually very few people caught anything large although there were nearly 1000 registered derby participants, a $20.000 dollar prize attracts folks from all over both our countries, some from as far away as California and North Dakota!
Timing is everything! A few days after the derby, the main runs came in and we were back there happily playing and slaying many fish up to 30+ lbs. Some days releasing 8-10 large fish while keeping a few prime Sockeye, and Cohoe for the canner and smoker, plus some to freeze.

The winner of the derby that year was a fellow from Neah Bay in Washington state with a 41 lb fish! I had the winner a couple days early and to this day still whine about it!:lol:

[attachment 40090 bigfish1.jpg]
This is only a 36 lb Spring, a 50+ is much bigger!

Here is a 54 lb that my buddy's client is holding.....

[attachment 40086 Tom.jpg]

[attachment 40091 bigfish11.jpg]

Here is my stepson Mitch with his first big Salmon

I tried some King Salmon fishing in Puget Sound off the Washington coast a few time. People were catching them north, east, south, and west of us but none for us. Boats were too thick, we spent most of the time maneuvering out of the way of fishermen who had hooked a big one and needed some working room.

interesting and varied life Wayne. I would give Mikes right arm to be able to share some of those adventures with you!!

Thanks for posting an intersting story:thumbup:

i've never been much of a fresh fish eater,by that i mean,fish meat just cooked,without any bread on it,but i love salmon patties with yellow mustard,is that sacrilege to some?:biggrin:

the best. I prefer Cod or Halibut, it is very healthy food but i like it the unhealthy way.....deep fried!:biggrin:

"sillysider"? :biggrin: Wish i had you with me Royal, i would have had GREAT pictures....i never seem to have time for the camera as i am usually "babysitting" wimmen or greenhorns:biggrin:. It is a full time job when you run a fishing boat with two downriggers and 2-4 lines down on each and steering is important, as is direction, speed, lure or bait choice, and adjustment etc. I am fussy tho and will only let a VERY few others do it.
I enjoy coaching and watching them catch fish as much as doing it myself.

"premature or early" thing followed you around all of your life Wayner ?:smoke: :lol: Sure wished that goliath had waited a few days to grab your line ! Great story Wayner !:beers:

ya know, sometimes you're in the right place at the right time, sometimes you're not. I was surf fishing with my father in law at the mouth of the Kennebeck river in Popham ME. We were actually trying for blues as they ran up the river chasing the pogies. I had a triple mackerel rig with three tinkers on it out about 100 feet or so. The blues hit, and the drag started whining. They or it ran out another 100 feet of line and all of a sudden it went slack. Thought I'd either broken the line or it had been bitten through so I started reeling in. About halfway in, Ted hooked up and I started paying attention to him instead of myself and I guess the rig setteled to the bottom. After he landed a pretty nice blue, I went back to reeling in my rig. Hadn't pulled in more than a few yards when it took off again. Gave it a yank and started reeling against the drag. I managed to land the fish, a 39" striper! Unfortunately, the size limit there, stripers have to be 42" or better. Just the same, it was an exciting few minutes.

Enjoyed the derby story and the pictures!

Dave

n/t

both wishing to be somewhere else, some of the time:lol:
I can hear your horses nickering, smell the hay in your shed and feel the comfort of the surroundings and neighbors.:thumbup:

were great fish, and your story was terrific!! I wished I could go fishing with you sometime! I think we would have great fun! The broken wrist put a stop to my fishing this summer, but it's better now, so soon I hope to get out a bit before it gets tooo cold! :)

no bugs, no snakes, just maybe some big swells, and if you get feeling poorly remember that some candied ginger will keep you from bending over the rail and distracting the fishermen;):lol:

use the size bass you catch for bait!!! One would just about fit right in a 50 pounders mouth with room to spare!:lmfao:

Great story Wayne. It was very enjoyable.

Lil Brother

You remind me of Daddy, wanting to be over the fish at daylight. Many days I remember heading across the big water of Lake Ouachita with a harsh cold wind in my face. But oh! What fun.

Thanks for allowing me to dredge up the memories, once more. <><

aj