Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

In the fall mode here so not a lot of free time right now.

George-CT

I did manage to get out for 1 hour with the GPS a few days ago and grabbed a few pictures....... This is Army Corp flood control area.
The build these dikes for flood control with a big dam..... These dikes run all thru the woods and they level off at the 400 foot above sea level all around here. A lot of folks use them for hiking, running, mt bikes and cross country ski in the winter. I hiked this one out in the pictures to get a fast route into a well hidden cache here. They call this a slightly fluctuating river, 3 rivers actually, but in the picture with the bridge, I'm standing at the bottom and the river will flood enough for the water to be at the bottom on that bridge. Fact, this bridge is a new one as the last flood washed the old bridge and side walls out. The other picture I took from off the bridge down to the water. The dam further down stream regulates these 3 rivers so that they don't wash all the old mill towns out that are all along here like it did back in 1952 or 53. Really wiped the towns out and hence these dikes. At the end if my reward for the day, a large ammo can with lots of goodies inside the cache. This is my one arm picture taking for proof to the guy I found it. I'll get the the big control dam picture soon and show you that, its BIG..The water goes over it at 52 feet in depth.... All these rivers are decent trout fishing. They have a normal trout population and also get stocked in spring time. As you can see from all the exposed rocks, the brooks are pretty low right now around these parts.

Right now I'm digging the rocks out of my driveway that the frost over the winter pushed up and I'll whack with my snow plow this winter, and then putting another 3 inchs of process gravel over it so it will drain better. It took a beating this year with all the wash from the thunder storms with 3 inch rain falls in 1 hour. Always something to work on.

Got to catch up again on some reading here also.

George-CT

that first pic looks like a good place to lay down on the rocks on a sunny day.the water sure is clear,we've just got muddy water around here,they have clear creeks down freds way.

I have not messed with it for a long time but I think it is about time. I always liked it. It is another reason to get into the great out of doors. I have a lot of them right around here too. I enjoy the trips where I don't find them too. I had one that I went back for four times before I found it. It was my first micro cache. It was a film tube covered with camo. I only had one that I can think of that I just could not find.

I just might go out again soon.

Nice pictures.. I enjoy the picture posts

It. Its about 3 miles from my house and we go there a lot to canoe, fish, ice fish, hike, there his a horse trail around the entire system, they hold field trials there also with horses and the stocked pheasants. I have GPS caches hidden here and all around the area. The only down side is you can't swim in it as it feeds the Willimantic water supply. Good fishing in it. Also decent metal detecting as there 3 mills on it at one time that I'm aware of, and the flooded out 6 old farms when they damed the lake. The lake varies in depth so when it drops like it is right now you can hunt the shoreline for and additional 50 yards or more. Its said its the most under used State park in the state of CT. Fine with me. Here is the link with more info on it. http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/mhl/mhlhome.htm

I don't know what other water shed areas are associated with it, but I know the water depths changed FAST here. I can drive one road to a boat launch in the morning, and if a major rain comes thru, the road and boat launch can be under 15 feet of water by dusk. They call it slightly fluctuating. I hate to see what is more than slightly....

George-Ct

I had a first this weekend. A hunt for Nano cache. Guess they are like micro dots. Its in Norwich, Ct at the house where the traitor Benedict Arnold was born and raised. I never knew that until I went here this weekend and drove by there a million times. I could not find that NAN0 cache to save my butt. I was getting a lot of funny looks from people as I molested the sign looking for it. I finally gave up, but I'll be back there. I've heard guys talk about them but I never saw one, YET.... They have some here to that you need to have someone at home, grab a picture of you off the web cams as you stand there. Then post it to get credit for it. There is one at UCONN I will do at some point. I've done the film canister ones. Those can be very hard if made to match the surroundings. I like the tricky ones. Makes it fun. I'm still a nut for the travel bugs and Geocoins also. I found this Geocoin this past weekend. Perfect weather now, no bugs, leaves dropping, not to hot, and I'm out where I belong.

George-Ct

with not a lot of dirt to muddy them up. Spring they get up in the dry lands and pull mud down but it clears fast. I like detecting the rivers as I can see the coil all the time, I like to watch the fish pick the bubbles off the coil, and if you dig in the sandy areas, it clears in and instant. even if you don't get anything, the sound of the brooking bubbling over the rocks is very relaxing. I look for where there might of been and old river crossing or bridge. Not real productive but enough to keep me going back.

George-CT

wouldn't recognize ya without the beard!:laugh: Nice day to be out!

seen me a few times without the beard. Right now still on big doses of Prednisone so face is puffed up from holding water. They will start to taper it off at the end of the month, I HOPE..... I've learned to keep a low profile when on this stuff as I tend to be rather aggresive and engage mouth to easy. My wife gets where she wants to take a contract on me..... Can't say as I blame her.... I'll start the beard again as cold weather sets in.

Geo

I have not been there for a long time and have to kick in the 30 bucks for a Prem membership. I like being able to automaticly download the information to my gps and palm. Also the Google Earth.

I have to learn how to use that dang Palm all over again now. PITA!!

There are lots of caches right around here. That is how I found the Porcupine Turds for Linda. I think she made something out of them for her daughters wedding. Hope so anyway.

You need the premium if doing it for the Palm but not the GPS. I just type in my zip code, get the page you want listing the caches and just put a check mark in the small white box next to it and and click lower download and it will send it right to your GPS. Thats how it works with the Garmins. If your program don't support that, just download EasyGPS software, which will let you sent it to that program, which is free, then click send, and it will send it to any GPS. I just picked up a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX from a friend who didn't like it and it worked great that way. I also was doing it the same way with the Garmin Legend Color one. I knew you had gotten the Palm unit last year. A lot of guys use them here for paperless caching... I tend to go after the bigger GPS units so I can read them without my glasses. I found if I click on all the pages it would not do it. But works very well if you just do one page at a time.

I just downloaded the new google earth program. Thats really a great program. When I travel I click on it so it shows all the roads and just pick out the geocaches along our route. Breaks up the drive to drive into a place and grab a cache and food or fuel. Cracker seems to be the restaurant of choice down south and about all the truck stops or rest areas on RT 81. That seems to be where they hide most of the Travel bug Hotels = Big ammo box , because all the people passing thru keep them moving. some will have 20 or so travel bugs in them. I'm seeing the same with Airports now also, most have a Travel bug cache there.... I've been trying to get on to the Netherlands, was doing good, got it to Boston in a TB hotel at Logan International, but some smuck, grabbed it and took it to Indiana...Guess he never read the mission on it...

Let me know how that Palm works out. I keep looking at them on Ebay and the Garage sale on Geocachng.com. We have a lot of tree cover here so you need a pretty good signal gathering antenna in the heavy cover. This map 60 csx is very good. Even in the house it will grab 5 or 6 satellites most of the time. My smaller Legend C would loss them in heavy cover. Frustrating.... My Magellans, hold a good signal also, at least the Meridians do. don't know about the new ones. yeah, there are a lot of them up your way for sure. I've been scoping them out up by VT Daves place also. I could spend a day there no problem....

Geo

downloaded the software so I can load the sites to my Garmin GPS 3 Plus and it will not work. I get this error NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Unexpected error arg 1 [nsIDOMHTMLDocument.getElementById]

I have contacted their tech support and am waiting for a reply

I am going to see what I can find around here. Lots of them

for your GPS type. Each one has its own driver. I had to do it for mine so it would recognize it. Here is the link to it if you need it.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

I'll get back on tomorrow and see if I can help ya, fell asleep on the couch tonight......Worked my tail off today...

Geo

and decent trout fishing year round. Waters here stay pretty cool and most up this way are Class A trout waters. Right next to our Dirt Bike track is one of the largest trout hatchery's in New England. Fact, the brook that feeds the hatchery runs right along our track so we fish it pretty often. It also means we really have to be careful what we do near it, like we can't ride a bike thru it, or quad, and need to be extremely careful with out waste oils, anti freeze etc. We have and extensive collection program for all these products.

Some of the bigger breeder trout are pretty nice, but the normal stocking program for the smaller spring time brooks usually get 12 inch fish and its pretty much a put and take program. The larger brooks that run year round hard, and have deep pools etc get the larger trout
and breeder fish. They also hold a decent amount of brookies which are a favorite in these parts. Not very big, but beautiful to see and the best tasting of all of them here. Down along the shoreline we have the Sea run trout and they get big. They have been trying for years here to get a Atlantic salmon program going again,and put in and extensive ladder system for them on the major rivers that used to hold them and they have had some returns but not what they expect. They tag them and I've caught them but try as they are, returns are not to good. Not sure if the off shore draggers and the like are getting them or seiners, or what but they don't return to their waters they were released in or raised in like we had hoped.

Most of the fishing here is salt water which is very good for strippers, tuna, bonita or yellow fin, fluke, flat fish or flounder, my favorite for salt water for taste, porgies, ells, Blue fish, Cod, Tommy Cod, smelt, snapper blues. Fresh water here is bass, large and smallmouth, perch, bule gills, crappys, trout, some walleye, pickeral, and shad in the bigger rivers. A big thing here is Planked Shad, escapes as to why, but they cook them on a cedar shingle...In my opinion you would be better off to eat the plank or shingle...taste better and less bones... Yet , folks come from miles around for them. Fun to catch, but not fun to eat. Kinda like a small pickeral, you need patience.

Anyhow, here is a little blurb on our trout program and hatchery. Fact, I'm headed there now.

http://myexclamation.com/odc-trout.htm

George-CT

twelve caches on my GPS. I will take a ride tomorrow. I can load them easily with my laptop

we used to fish a few stocked lakes and i would just throw a couple handfuls of small gravel in the water, the trout thought it was feeding time and would come a wigglin!:biggrin: