Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

In the early days fo this forum

Royal

we had a guy, I think his name was Jim something. He wrote some good story's. He was the one that wrote the story about fishing in the Black Canyon on the Gunnison in Colorado.

I was just looking at it using Google Earth and it sure brought back memories. Mary and I went out there one fall and the place is incredible. It is the deepest canyon for its width in the US. In some places it is 2000 ft deep and about 1500 ft wide. Just awsome. If any of you get out there you would be doing yourself a favor by visiting it. The road going down to the dam is a 16 degree grade. We started down on the scooter and I chickened out. That scooter is good but it would still have been down there :D

I just thought I would post a picture to let you get an idea what it is like

[attachment 86550 gunnison.jpg]

Lost their boat with all their food on the first rapids I think it was and then it got worse. The story must be on the web somewhere.

you come to some kind of buildings, it may be the office, I forget. You come around a corner and there the canyon is. It can take your breath away the view is so awesome. There is a road that runs along the rim for quite a ways and you can stop anywhere you want to explore. No guard rails or anything like that.

One place we stopped the canyon opened up a little, the river looked like a string at the bottom. There was a sign saying that the Empire State Building could set on the bottom and not reach the rim. It was unbelievable! It looked like you could almost throw a ball across but it was deceiving. I am sure you could shoot an arrow across though!

A place well worth seeing

May 3rd, to be exact. She and one of her girlfriends are going to try their hand at one of those resorts for four months........summer job and some fun too, I'm sure. She'll be the first of my clan to see the Rockies. One of these days, I hope !

n/t

I like just surfing the world with Google Earth. It helps understand history too. Look up Machu Picchu in Peru. It gives a person a real feeling for where it is and what it looks like instead of the classic picture we all see. Here are three pictures I just snapped as an example.

The pictues are not perfect in many areas but they sure can give a feeling about what is there.

The first one is from a distance. Actually the altitude is in the lower right corner. Look at that dang switchback trail they had to take!

[attachment 86651 mpfar.jpg]

The next one is much closer from the same spot but lower

[attachment 86652 MPCLose.jpg]

The third one I just swung around and got it from a different angle

[attachment 86653 mp3.jpg]

[attachment 86654 switchback.jpg]

one is in a association type deal,the other is about 39 acres.i've never seen it but they were going up there for years before they bought.i went once before they bought and drove from creede to lake city.man,there were so many switchbacks i was starting to get tired of them,very steep.

the roads were good roads,for mules:).

The expression It will take your breath away I always thought was just that, and expression, until I first headed west and we went to Bryce Canyon.That was the first big canyon I had seen, and between the vast space and colors of the who-doo's it did just that. We took horses down into it the next day for a trip around the bottom. Neat stuff.

Pictures do not do it justice.......George-CT