Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

In ground test normal?

DirtShoveller

VDI results from in ground test using AT Pro and 5x8 coil.

1964 Rosie - 76-83 @ 4" but only from one direction, no VDI no beep @ 6" and 8".

1959 Washington - 86-94 @ 4", 81-86 @ 6" but only from one direction, No VDI but random beep @ 8"

1918 WL Half - 92-94 @ 4", 40-90 @ 6", no VDI no beep @ 8"

Are these results typical?

does not sound right what was sens set at and was this in Standard mode coin setting ? Pro mode Coin setting ? My 5x8 DD coil is a hard hitting locks on reading on a silver dime at 90 clad dime at 81 and that is at 6 inches in my soil 52 on a nichol 53 on a v nichol 91-92 silver quarter at 7 inches interesting statistics for sure what was ground balance set at as well ?

Sensitivity was at 7, and ground balance at 88. Pro Zero mode.

I sent the detector back to Garrett over the winter for a tune up. They returned it with a new 5x8 coil. I don't know if they actually did anything to the unit itself, but it did have a new screen cover on it.

Also, just this past Friday I was out detecting with a friend who uses an ACE350. He found a '45 Merc at about 5". I had him re-bury it and my AT Pro with the same coil and settings as this test couldn't even see it. :veryangry:

Wow that's interesting would love to test it in my soil to compare to mine because that cannot b normal I would contact them an xplain this and you have already ent it in but it till seems ify because it should hit a dime at that depth with out a problem

Just did an air test with a walking liberty half and the 5x8 hits solid at 90 at 12 inches

I just did an air test with my walking liberty half as well. The best it could do was 5 inches. This really angers me having to ship it back to them. I hate to think of all the gas I've been wasting driving to good hunting sites with a broken detector, not to mention all the nice finds I might have been missing. :ranting:

That doesn't sound right at all. Dug a 1857 Seated quarter today at @6". Loud and clear, id'd at 83-85. Would have found it a lot deeper. Must be a problem with your detector. Good luck, Joe.

Dirt,

Just make sure that coil is screwed into
the head unit real good.

Pete

DirtShoveller said:
I just did an air test with my walking liberty half as well. The best it could do was 5 inches. This really angers me having to ship it back to them. I hate to think of all the gas I've been wasting driving to good hunting sites with a broken detector, not to mention all the nice finds I might have been missing. :ranting:

Try using the 8x11.5 coil.........and see if there is a dramatic improvment......I only use the 5x8 and have found many good finds in the 6-10 inch range.....I'm sure Garrett has tested yours before returning it to you......Try everything from step 1.....dis-assemble and re-assemble both coils....double check your battery connections.....try GB in both automatic and manual......I think if you get a dramatic improvement with the larger coil a call back to Garrett will be necessary....Good Luck

You will not get good depth on fresh planted coins...
And it also depends on your soil...
Maybe in a year or two you will.
You disturbed the soil's matrix...

I put on the stock coil and depth tested the WL half again. It was detectable to 7 inches. Any deeper and the VDI was jumping around the 40's or the high 90's, no in between.

Sent you a PM about a coil let me know could be your coil or connector