Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

IMPORTANT REQUEST ON TWO BOX DETECTORS

manaba

Hello Everybody,

I have what I consider an important request to you all, something I just have noticed after watching literally hundreds of youtube videos and read about the same amount of posts in different forums for the last 3 years.

In both US and european countries I have noticed that almost all detectorists use and comment on detectors with round, elliptical or DD coils, and their experiences and discoveries.... but just a few, very few of you use two box detectors, in fact I can count these users with the fingers of one hand.

Why is that? It is because you don

The only reason for me to dig a big target at real depth is IF I think there is a chance of a cache. There is just to much junk to dig every pipe and septic cover in the country. IMO a 2 box is a specialized tool.

I will get one some day, there is a rumored cache I will try to find. I think there are some Gold hunters who use them to find large areas of black sand and others for caves.

In a lot of cases a good machine with a decent sized coil will hit a target deeper than I want to dig. Most of us have dug a zinc lid at better than 12".

The flip side to this is people really did and still do burry treasure. I have never found one but I did leave one when I was a kid. Do not know if it was ever recovered. I tried recently and due to its location probably will never know. I did tell the new owner of the land where to look if the opportunity presented itself.

Why do you ask?

Jeff

Unless you have some suspicion of a cache (that is can / jar sized or bigger), or unless you are hunting only for something big like that, there is not other use for a 2-box unit. I suspect that 99.999% of items it will pick up (around the average abandoned farms, blighted urban lots, ghost towns, etc...) will be simply large junk. You could just as equally dig the over-load signals on a standard detector, and dig the same items in 99.999 of cases. Most coin/relic hunters pass over-load signals (durn those hubcaps anyways!). And when we do stop to investigate those over-load big signals, they'll usually be sprinkler heads, hubcaps, pipes, soda cans, cast-iron, etc...

If you were really only strictly hunting for caches, particularly if you had reason to suspect one somewhere, you have to remember, it's gonna have to be a larrggee cache. Even a small soda-can or jar-sized cache is about the smallest item a 2-box can pick up. So to hear a soda can, for instance, you have to be listening carefully. Ideally, the items picked up are thermos or lunch box sized type things. And most caches are not that big. In fact, a lot of caches are coin-purse sized, when you read stories of recovered stashes.

Even though a standard detector can probably pick up most of the items that a 2-box would (unless you're talking prohibetively deep), there is a benefit of using a 2-box, if you sincerely don't care about smaller items: The mere fact that you simply don't hear anything small, means you've got sort of a natural discriminator, so you don't even hear small things, to begin with. Rather than always trying to second guess what is big verses what is small, or trying to see if a target can reach "overload" (depending on how you center it), your 2-box will just do all that for you, and you won't be tempted to stop and keep digging small things.

But I suspect you'll just spend all your time digging junk, unless you have reason to suspect otherwise, that something else is there, that merits passing all small targets.