Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Important: A well known author has visited our Forum.............

Kelley (Texas)

Mr. C. F. Eckhardt, a well known and popular Texas story teller and historian has made several visits and is posting under the name of TexasCharley. He presently writes historical articles for TexasEscapes.com as well as for the Seguin Gazette-Enterprise. He wrote two outstanding books, "Lost San Saba Mines" in 1982, and "Texas Tales Your Teacher Never Told You" in 1991.

If you want to have a pleasant evening, please click on to this site: http://www.texasescapes.com/ This site will have an untold number of Texas history stories, many written by Mr. Eckhardt. I would suggest that you add it to your "favorites" list because there is no way that you will be able to read it all in one evening, and new stories are being added all the time. You will also enjoy going to Google and doing a search on Mr. Eckhardt for additional stories that he has written.

I think it is great to have a well known author visit our Forum...it would be even greater if he becomes a member and share a few tales with us. I have known about Mr. Eckhardt for several years and have always enjoyed reading his stories. Like I have already said, he is very popular and well liked down here in Texas. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 132378 Texasflag.gif]

I'll correct only one thing. I'm a writer, not an author. An author can live on the money he makes writing. A writer has to have an outside source of income.

TexasCharley

Also, at what age did you first start writing about historical events and etc.? I think it is neat having you posting on the Forum! Kelley (Texas) :)

interesting people. It sounds like you have had an interesting life!

n/t

Way back when, when I was in school, we got Texas History 3 times--in the 3rd, 7th, & 12th grades. My grandmother, who lived with us until I was 12, was born in 1873. The man across the street was born in 1844 & lived until 1948. The man up the street had an uncle who visited him from time to time. The uncle was from Missouri & knew a whole lot more about a couple of Clay County boys named Dingus & Frank than any peaceloving feller had any business knowing. Just down the creek lived a man named J. Frank Dobie. We didn't get TV unil I was 11. I listened to stories these folks told. I'd guess I've been writing about Texas and the West about as long as I've known how to write. One of my early schoolmates was the great-great-great grandson of Captain Almeron Dickinson, the chief of artillery at the Alamo. My mother's father's family has been in Texas since before 1836, my dad's mother's family has been here since 1845. I grew up with Texas & Western history. I had my first professional publication in True West magazine in
1960 & I've been writing professionally off & on ever since then.

The writing talent comes down from my maternal grandfather's line, the Hoopers. A distant cousin, Shadrack Kemp Hooper, was the General Passenger Agent for the D&RGW RR & is the man considered the 'father' of railroad pamphlet advertising. He 'created' Colorado as 'America's Switzerland' & named Mt. Holy Cross there. Another cousin, Byrd Hooper, wrote juvenile novels back in the '50s. My maternal grandfather was one of the most talented oral storytellers I ever met. He could keep a whole roomful of kids spellbound with his stories. There are about a dozen more of my Hooper kin who are writers.
The talent runs in the family but it skips around. In every generation it hits one or two. My daughter doesn't have it, but my younger grandson is showing promise.

TexasCharley