Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Identification help

tjhoosier

OK guys. I dug this today in a city park here in Indy. Looks like an Indian head penny, but it's 3" in diameter. Biggest penny I've ever seen and it looks like a real 1877 Indian head. So does anyone know what this is. I figure it's some kind of promotional recreation or something. It was reading 46-48 on the Xterra 705 with the 18.75 elliptical coil on and was about 5 inches deep in a limestone gravel walkway. I'm not sure how old the park is. At least 40 years that I'm aware of. But it could be much older. I thought at first it might be a survey marker, but upon closer scrutiny I thought it looked like an Indian Head penny. So I've had it soaking in white vinegar to try and get some of the crud off of it. Anybody have any ideas on what it might be? You can see by the pictures with the quarter in it, how large it is. If it truly was minted or struck in 1877 it would definitely be my oldest find. And it was kind of exciting even if it wasn't. Thanks for any input. Tom

I believe that is used as a coaster... I have seen them at visitor centers for sites such as former presidential homes and such.
I have seen nickels, dime, and quarters that are the same size as the one you have.
They are kind of like souvineir pieces.
My buddy found one some time ago while detecting also.
Neat find!!!

Sorry big guy, but it's a souvenir. They're still available as props or decorations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-EA-3INCH-1877-INDAIN-HEAD-PENNY-MAKE-NICE-PROP-YOUR-STORE-/140614290003?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20bd43ca53

Cool find though. I'd like to find one just for snicks.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't really think it was a real penny, but couldn't imagine what it could be used for. I've seen promotional stuff like this before, but I thought it was illegal to make anything like this that imitated money. Usually called counterfeiting! but I suppose if it's much much larger than the original then it probably qualifies as something else. So I guess I'm left to wonder how it managed to get 5 inches down in a crushed limestone gravel walkway in a community park in Indianapolis. I'm sure I'll never know, but it's a pretty cool find anyway. Merry Christmas everyone! Tom

Technically, money of any denomination can be legally reproduced, as long as it 1/8th of original size or smaller, or 300% of original size or larger.