Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ideas for a 2nd Dectector??

jfelly65

Hello all, I am looking to purchase another metal for my girlfriend to try out (and hopefully pick up) our hobby. I currently own a MXT and am looking for something for her in the middle price range ($300 - $500). I began detecting with a Prizm IV and personally was not happy with it and became quite frustrated with it. Any ideas for a good middle range starter for her or a back-up for me if she decides this is something she does not want to do? I was also thinking maybe an underwater/water proof detector in that range? Is there a good universal detector that would work both on land and in the water? Any info would be great! Thanks

I started my wife out on a used MXT which was in near new condition. I got a good deal on it, less than $600.00. It did not take her long to learn the detector. I think that had I started her out on a cheapy and it did not work very well, she would have lost interest in a hurry and I would have lost a great hunting pardner. JMHO. HH Dennis in Idaho

In the Metal Detecting Equipment classifieds are a couple of ideas. An MXT with a hard case for $510 shipped and a waterproof Ace 250 for $250. Another possibility is a used M6.

I see you found the MXT W/hard case.....:thumbup: That is a great deal for someone. I think the case is $100 and that leaves $410 for a nice looking MXT.

Lot to be said for the interchange ability with the coils and two machines that operate similarly.
BB

My girlfriend uses the MXT and really loves the idea of an ID meter. I relic hunt solely so I'm not so worried about a target's ID but it saves her from digging the nails at two feet like I do.

MXT or the Ace 250 Larry mentioned above is an idea also. I had one of those for a while just for fun. And it was plenty of that -- fun.

Richard

Don't spend that much on a second detector on the off chance your girlfriend may get interested in the hobby. The ACE 250 is a very capable machine for a very good price. It makes a very good second detector. It breaks down and fits in the little carry bag that can be purchased with it. You can then toss that bag and detector in the trunk of your car or cab of your truck and you now have a detector you can take out and scout an area really quickly if you find someplace that looks to be a good place to detect at a later date.

I know because I am doing this now. The wife and I both swing MXT's. I purchased an ACE 250 for a 'back-up" machine just in case I came across a site that looks promising while I'm driving around where ever I may go. The ACE 250 is a quality detector for your girlfriend to try out and if she gets into the hobby, then consider looking at an M6 or MXT. Meanwhile she can use a very good, light detector to test the waters with and you end up with a very capable second (or back-up) detector.

Cheers,

I agree with OkieDigger on an M6.It's a bit more user friendly,especially for someone new and you'll have the Tone ID option along with the compatible coils. May help when you want a new coil or two :devil: HH Bill

I vote for the M6 too.

My wife, however, swears by her Ace 250 with a Sunray in-line probe.