Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Id question

Billant

how many numbers on the id scale should some targets jump, usaully on pull tabs and 5c pieces my id goes from 4-8 and 5c pieces 6-8 is that normal, my sens is only 17.

Bill
The info I'm giving you is from the prospective of the X-Terra 30, so the numbers won't line up exactly with the 70, but will still give you a good idea on what's going on.
Unfortunately the 2 targets that present the greatest challenge for modern Aussie coins, are pull tabs and screw caps. There isn't a single detector on the market that can separate these targets via a numerical value or a separate notch.Not even the Explorer. Yes it can separate most pull tabs by a single value in perfect conditions, but often still show up as a 10c piece.
What you need to do is look for other ways of figuring out these targets. The simplest indicator is that on the X-Terra 30 a 5c piece will give a solid 8 while a 10c piece will mostly lock into 12, with an occasional bounce to 16. Play around with your X-Terra 70 to see where they hit on it. If you go after targets that behave like this, then it will reduce the amount of pull tabs that you recover. What you will notice with pull tabs, is that they generally tend to make the numbers jump around. In standard pinpoint, if a 10c piece is just under the surface, then will give a louder pinpoint than a pull tab can. You may what to play around with the prospecting mode, just to see what differences you may be able to hear with that.(ie. on a couple of detectors, in the right conditions, a pull tab can give a double beep if you pass over it in one direction, but when you pass over it again at 90 degrees, then you will only get a single beep. A coin will always give the same number of beeps in both directions.)
If you are hunting on a beach, then dig all of your pull tabs, as some of them will be ladies gold rings.
Have fun.
Mick Evans.

Hey Lou.
It sounds like the 70 is no better than the 30 at coin hunting.:poke: How am I ever going to convince myself to up grade if I read posts like that.:rofl:
Mick Evans.:ausflag:

Mick,

it sounds like your doing OK with the 30.
Quite frankly, If I were you Id save my pennies and stick with it until something really different is developed.

As for pulltabs, when in an environment where you have a higher chance of scoring a ring ie beach or playgrounds you've just got to dig em all.
My best ring, 8.4 gram 22 ct was found under swings in a playground. It was virtually the only target there having been cleaned out by someone recently. Found it in prospect, switched to coin for ID and I get 14-16... bloody pulltab! Kicked the mulch in disgust to find the ring sitting there!
If it had'nt uncovered with the kick it would have been left for the next bloke to find.

Lou.

Thanks guys

Yeah, I think you're right. Actually, given that next month is the third anniversary of the release of the 70, I wouldn't be too surprised if a new model 70 surfaces soon.
Mick Evans.