Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I went on a ride yesterday up into the Texas Hill Country..............

Kelley (Texas)

and visited the areas around President LBJ's ranch...Johnston City, Hye, and Stonewall, Texas. Later today, I will post the story and a few pictures that I took. I discovered that I am not very well organized and it would be best if in the future some reading be done prior to going to an area to take pictures and gather information...there were a few sites where I should have taken a photo, but I did not because of ignorance of not knowing the importance of the site. I just hope that these stories are not boring to you folks. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Most everyone here is curious so you have a built in audience. I like seeing all this stuff from some one else's home base. I like the old pictures. I've always wanted to run the RT 66 road all the way out. I've seen some on the History or Travel channel and it shows the old gas stations and towns that dried up after the turnpikes made them useless. I wanted to do it in my Vette to. But better yet, we have you living out there showing it to us with narration. Works for me....

Fred, how far are you from that big Ben National Park... that sure looks like a beautiful area. I would like to travel thru it.... I have my trusty golden passport pass. That lets you in all the National Parks for free....and anyone one with you in same vehicle. They sure are beautiful parks...

I'm having the problem you may be seeing. We grew up here so we are used to what we see and may find it boring after all these years but to others, its not the case.... Even the little one I did the other day of Scotland.... To the locals, its a great place for grinders and really pretty at Christmas time all lit up coverd in snow.... Most of the towns in this area are 1700 towns, so pretty old. Fortunately they try to keep them in nice shape and they have turned it into a tourist thing. People come from all over in the fall to see the leaves change and enjoy the old homes. A lot of the old homes have become really nice bed and breakfast places....They have to keep them original and in period furnishings. Most do the history on them. And side notes I've gotten to detect them but they get it all. Which is great as they put it all on display for their partrons to see. A lot of them still have the old stone heat box, or hot rocks in a box with along handle that slides under the bed to heat it up some. big fluffy duck down blankets, all hand made, stuff like that so you get the field of the old days. Many times the breakfast will be done on the fireplace andiorns if they like... REally fun. They run about a $100 bucks a night with the meals so they compare to a nice hotel but you get the one on one attention..... I'll get afew pictures of them... Oh yeah, some are Tea Rooms also....Very light lunch and a tour of the home and sourings. All of them dress in period clothing also.... Fact, some get in character, if you ask about something that was not around at that time,they give you that funny stare or look asking what your talking about..... A lot of them here are living in todays world but do all the can to emulate what used to be. Hard work being one of them, I'm sure you know that routine have grown up on a working ranch....

Like you, I see a place and don't always know what I should be looking at. I've found that most towns have put their history one the internet and a google of it will usually get you some good infomation, and often you, we learn from it also.....

Well, I hear my bike calling me, 65 degrees, no wind, and I'm outa here......

Geo

it is on my list...will be the first long several day ride I take. It is about ten hours ride each way, so I figure it would be at least a four day round trip, which includes riding in the park. There are several mountain ranges and parks in the same area. I would probably camp in the park as per se. I do not camp like most folks, I only use a bed roll and a light canvas tarp, and a camp fire...nothing fancy. I still have my bed roll and canvas tarp that I use to strap to the horse. For some reason, I am having problems building up my endurance for the "long" ride, have to watch myself and make sure I take a coke with me. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have a book on all the National Parks and it shows that area with some beautiful scenery. Old habits are hard to break Fred. I can see why you like the bedroll and a tarp. Funny, I had a old army sleeping bag I got after the war was over. Think I pad $1.00 for it with a cooking kit. I enjoyed the bag growing up as it had a bug net stitched on to it and cover on it was the wind break and where the netting hung from. I used to sleep in that a lot in the summer out on Pine Island. We had a big wall tent but I liked to get out in the open on the beach and use that. Watch the stars and moonlight dancing on the ocean with the waves breaking on shore was music to my ears. Early morning cry of the seagulls was my wake up call. We have the RV now but I prefer to camp like you talk about, out in the open.
We used to hike the Appalachian trail a lot all along the east coast there, an even thought there were lots of lean too's to sleep in about a days walk apart I would usally came in between them along the trail at a nice brook, lot of small trout and the sound of the brook.

I can just imagine your time out on the horse in the back country riding the range. I've seen it the movies but never experienced it in real time. Jane still has some working dude ranches she wants to hit out west and they over it, so might get a chance yet. Our local farrier here took a job off the internet out in Montanna riding herd. He didn't last long. He didn't like being out there for a week at a time, the howl of the wolves, that have them there I guess so he came back and is back shoeing horses.... Guess he got spoiled back here in the east with all the conviences.

Tell ya, on the long rides, I get very beat myself now. If I'm only running 50 to 55 behind the windshield I stand up better but over that and the wind beats you up pretty bad. Ad in the sun burn and wind burn and by day send your looking for a place to lay down as I'm sure your aware of. My buddy wants me to fly out to Washington State and turn the Olympia Pennuslar with him this summer for a ew weeks as we want to leave there and go the northern route to Spokane and then back along the columbia river. My concern is the distance and the beat factor. Here I go for a day, and then I take a break for a day or two...There, no break and I'm wondering How the body will respond....Main concern here is the 2 herneaited disk. The rest of me seems fine around here and I think it would be fine there. He is here now but leaves again next Tuesday..... He has a Vulcan 1500 and a combo woods and road 650 that heused to get in the back country. The Vulcan is not much a off road unit at all. To low, little fork travel etc.... Mine don't really like dirt roads either, and the way its geared its to fast in even low on dirt being so low to the ground, if you hit a rock sticking up one could crakc the crank case. My driveway is 1/2 mile of dirt and I have to pay attention in a few spots right now until I take care of the frost heave from winter that pushes the rocks up.

I know a lot of the guys that travel by bikes in the club with their wifes only do about 250 a day for miles and just allow more time for the trip.... Thats plenty for me, but I use that time in being nosey and looking at every thing around me....

Later Geo

the back roads yesterday had a posted speed limit of 65 in some areas and 70 in other areas...always some Buba in a pickup truck doing 80 on those stretches of road and will run over you if you are not careful. As old habits are hard to change, I usually stop at a Dairy Queen to eat. On occasion those folks will sorta give you the cold shoulder...they do not like bikers as per se, always think of the Hell's Angels when they see someone on a bike. I usually wear a belt buckle that I won in a roping event over in Bandera, Texas many years ago...when they see the buckle they usually warm up and start asking about it. My Father was there when I won that belt buckle and I gave it to him...when he passed away in 1987, Mother gave the belt buckle back to me. It has special meaning to me and I often wear it. I need to find a way to mount some cow horns on that bike...that would solve the issue between the kickers and bikers. :rofl:

Like you, and many others, the wind will give you a beating at times, and will wear you out. I have had no problems riding consecutive days, but I have to be careful being Diabetic and alert to the symtoms of a sugar count problem...that is why I now carry a coke in the saddle bags. Yesterday, I again had to cut the ride short and it seemed to take me forever to get home...stopped at a few rest stops, and went again until I arrived home. I have to find a way to solve this annoyance before I attempt my dream ride across the country...this is not a subject that I really want to talk about other than it is a pain in the butt and I do not like something that restricts me.

George, our bikes are heavy cruisers, not designed for off road riding...which like you, I had to find out the hard way! :rofl: I have been lucky so far and have not dropped the bike, but I have had a few close calls, usually due to gravel or sand, and one time grass clippings from the house down on the corner of our street. I wonder if the Guardian Bell is doing it's job? :rofl:

I need to get off the computer and work on that story again...for some reason it is giving me fits finding the right words and sentence structure. Heck, I may go for a ride when Debbie goes to play Bingo this afternoon before I finish the story. I took pictures of a few places that LBJ visited on occasion...kinda exciting to me to visit the same places. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Walking thru the shop today, casually, keeping an eye on my "troops", i spotted this plate on the front of a Maxima, one of my techs was performing maintenance on... It is registered in Massachusetts though. The owners must of visited or maybe have relatives there?[attachment 88051 100_1026.jpg][attachment 88052 100_1028.jpg][attachment 88053 100_1029.jpg]

Don't you wish you knew the story...maybe someone in the military that was stationed in El Paso, Texas? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)