Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I went back to one of my iron infested areas that I do a lot of my testing of coils and detectors

Tinfoil

I always wanted to see what the Xterra 70 would do in this very hard hit area. There is so much iron trash in it that machines sounds like a dull sounding machine gun going off all the time you are hunting there. I was in one of those I think I will have some fun and I don't care what I dig modes. I wanted to see what the X70 would do in the prospecting mode with the iron mask set to 20 and I thought I would go back to all metal just to see what that pattern would read with 4 tones.

Well it did not take me lone to realize that all that button pushing was not getting it. So I made pattern 3 a All Metal mode and all I had to do was switch from Prospecting mode set to 20 Iron Mask, push the prospecting mode sw then I was in the pattern 3 all metal mode I had just made.

looked to see and listen for the tone and the target number and if it was above O and did not give the low tone I dug the target. The problem was there was some real big iron targets in there that would override the Iron Mask of 20 in the prospect mode. Well I am here to tell you I had no problem at all doing this and getting the proper reading . Now some of the big iron gave a pos. signal but in the prospect mode you could always tell if it was a big target just by sizing of the target..

I had a blast playing around with both modes. :clap: I did find that if I set the Sen. first which I even ran wide open, did the G/B and then did my noise cancel it ran quieter even with the higher sensitivity. I was using my favorite coil the 5X10" 18.75KHZ coil then switched over to the 6" 18.75KHZ coil and that is when I cranked it wide open even in the iron trash. It was just a fun time playing around. Got only a few old slick date Buffs and one shield nickle.

The day Before I was in the same area with my SE and the new 10X12SEF coil ( it preformed Excellent in that bad Iron trash which I never expected then I switched over to the 6" excellerator coil and it done even better). The 10X12 got 2 barbers 1 V nickle and and the 6" excellerator on the SE got a couple of slick no date buffs.

What surprised me was the Xterra 70 in the same area getting the targets I dug and there were a lot of them and even more targets then the SE in all metal. Small brass, lead, 22 shells, one old brass door key ( I love them old keys for some reason). I have to tell you I think I will go back in there with the 6" 18.75 and have a little more fun playing around. Anyway it was a fun two days in the Iron trash and I had a blast. :super: Not to speak of being surprised at some of the targets I dug. That is what it is all about though having fun with this hobby. :D: :D: HH Jerry aka Tinfoil

Jerry, that is some good information and it sounds like you had a blast doing it as well. Nice post!

Tom

Yeah, Tinfoil, that 6" coil on the Terra does a good job.
If you get brave, go for some of those better sounding one angle hits.
I seem to stay in those iron trash infested places:biggrin:
HH