Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I was SCHOOLED by a 9 year old with a Bounty Hunter (LONG)

jljkansas

I finally had a chance to hunt the day after Christmas so off I go to an old house across from my daughters high school. BUT A LITTLE BACKGROUND. I had stopped and asked if I could hunt about two months ago, that three hour hunt gave me an 1897 "v" nickel a couple of wheats some costume jewelry and also a new metal detecting buddy. He's about 9 years old and was swinging my detector,wearing my head phones and basically being a 9 year old. Well when we finished I had hunted about 1 1/2 of the 3 hours, and the new metal detectorist about 1 1/2 hours and he had found 60 or 70 cents in clad, a wheatie and a dog tag. I showed his Grandmother (her home) what we had found and she said that a metal detector would be a good gift for her Grandson and asked were she could find an inexpensive one. Well back to my story. when I got there and knocked I was greeted by the grandmother and low and behold her Grandson and his new bounty hunter metal detector and he was ready for a hunt. He had tried to use it one time but the ground was frozen so he didn't hunt. We went outside and I showed him how the settings were supposed to work and explained what the knobs were, how the coil needed to stay flat to the ground, swing slow, overlap blah, blah blah, (I don't think he heard a word) 9 years old you know and off he went swinging slow and overlapping for about the first two steps and then weed hooking and moving at the speed of sound in a zig zag pattern that would make a soldier proud, but he was actually getting some signals, His Grandmother hadn't turned him loose with a digging knife so guess what I'm the diggin boy, I dug a couple of pieces of trash and some clad, well he Zigged into my grid but in front of me about 20 feet and one or two swings to my right, I had gone about 10ft with 1 hole dug for me and about 20 for him and he gets a hit and waves at me again to come dig his treasure. I checked the signal with my detector and it hit high tone but the signal was wide and I told him he probably had a can but I plopped down to dig and he said what if it's a car and I laughed but low and behold an old match box car, I handed it to him and he moved his detector and hit another signal right at the edge of the hole, I checked with my probe and got a signal down deeper, I dug down to about seven inches and out pops a COMPLETE POCKET WATCH, the dirt falls off to reveal at least a gold plated watch. I couldn't believe it!!! this kid with a BH tracker IV had found a true treasure and off he goes to show Grandma and I'm left filling in the hole. By the time he gets tired of hunting he found 2 tax tokens, a token from an oil company a dog tag about 50 cents in clad and a cool pocket watch and I'm worn smooth out. My finds were 1908D Barber Dime, 1960 Rosie, 1881 injun, 1940 & 41 nickels, gold necklace (in the hole with rosie), small gold earring, and about 50 cents in clad.
I think we've added a new guy to our hobby. I just hope they don't let him hunt anymore of my spots.LOL. Sorry for the long post but just had to share the story with you.

Happy Hunting All
JLJKANSAS

Great story! Good for you to take the time with boy. That's something he will remember for the rest of his life. Good hunting Gary

have similar experience also.
detecting one day kid about 12 was watching.
asked what i was doin?
showed him a va button i had just found.
he thought it was cool,said he wanted his dad to get him one.
two weeks later im detecting a spot ive been on for two weeks,few buttons,bullets couplelil buckels.
just before dark he comes up and says,i got 1 can i go along with you. i said sureyou can.
he goes on a spot i just went over,starts to dig and comes over and says what is this?
csa buckel in mint condition. he says he had to go before dark,off he went.
next day,just before dark again here he comes,and said he got $795 for it.
i said lets go again,two minutes later ,starts diggin.
comes over what is this? single shot octogon barrel,pistol,no handle ,but in perefect shape.
said he had to go before dark,off he went. ( lil *#*###***)
had at least 40 hours detecting,he had about six minutes.
maybe will keep him out of trouble,had to look at it that way.
never saw him again after that nite,spending all his money i guess.(lol)
thanks for reading,thuoght i would share my nite mare story :)

That's an even better whippin than I got. I hope he enjoyed all that money, but I'm with you, if it keeps him going and keeps him out of trouble it's all worth it.
Good Going, and way to go on not strangling him.

JLJKANSAS

kids just love metal detectors ...almost evry time i go to the beach i end up with a gang of kids wanting to know what im doing andif i get a signal and start digging and then walk away cause it sounds like a deep aluminium can ....they just dig and dig till they get it after i have moved on (often a deep can will sound like a coin or valuable object but the deeper and closer you get the more you realise what it is )

anyway it can be a pain when they all gather round when im searching as i cant swing the coil without hitting them .............................just wish my kids were a bit younger but too old and interested in other stuff ,

but those bounty hunters ,,,i have one and while the soveriegn is great the bounty hunters are the best for kids in that they do work and only have few controls ...almost any learner can use one