Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I visited George Wilson again today:thumbup:

Royal

I mentioned George a couple days ago. I found his resting place while Geocashing. I decided to go out and get some picutres and along the way stopped to pick up some plastic flowers for old George. I don't want people to think he has been forgotten.

It seems my worrys are groundless. I took a few pictures and then took the flowers, or rather just some plastic ivy, it seemed right for the season. As I squatted t put the flowers down I noticed a slight gap between the headstone and the base. I tilted it back and there was a bunch of coins that others had places. Very nice.

It is a very peaceful spot, considering that it is in the center of a huge dirt bike area. Miles and miles of trails but nobody has disturbed George yet. Nice to see

[attachment 71865 stone-distance.jpg]

[attachment 71864 George-Head-stone.jpg]

[attachment 71866 Stone-Flowers.jpg]

[attachment 71867 Under-Stone.jpg]

he lived through the civil war,i'm guessing that part of michigan had a pretty good timber industry and the U.P.had a bunch of mines.then there's the fur industry and trappers,and he lived when the automobile wasn't a big deal there.

n/t

he was the right age to fight in the CW. What story's he could tell.

I was thinking as I was driving home. I bet he would never have dreamed that a hundred and four years after he died some guy would drive over and take a picture of his head stone, post it on some thingie called a puter and instantly people all over the planet would see it.

The entire state of Michingan was lumbered. In fact the area that the grave in in was lumbered in the last 30 years.

I just put the ivy there so people might leave it alone, think someone cares. I have seen it on other very old graves...

I did not know people left coins,It's amazing that it has not been wrecked,as you know nothing much is respected nowadays.Great post,are you going to detect in the nearby areas,

he might not even have had electricity or indoor plumbing.when hitting the back roads with my mom i'll see an old house that nature has taken over or has been rough on,on roads that aren't in good shape now that you can tell were probably wagon roads when the old houses were built.they are always close to the road,something people shy away from now because of the noise.

these people lived in the boondocks,they probably welcomed company.

Is it by chance the same one?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gs&

They show a picture of it, looks like the save grave site

I tried to send the link completed but it would not let me. If you add in
George Wilson and the state of Michigan it will display it....

There is one there in Beaver Lake Cemetery with a picture of it....

George-CT

I went to Geocashe.come and told them that it was a cemetary and not a homestead. I added the link for them too!!

not much chance that an automobile was running around the woods up here at that time.

I knew people that had no electricity outside Green Bay Wis in 1960! A guy that I worked with at Larsons Cannery, Clem Bradley, mother lived on a small far out in the boonies and they had no electricity

topo maps and you can do it by county....

http://www.topozone.com/states/Michigan.asp?county=Ogemaw&feature=Cemetery

It also has the GPS Log and Lat numbers on it to the right. How do they match with yours?

Met to add, thats a pretty nice stone for the money available back then. There is a Civil war site for there also...

Geo

just something I do. I doubt I would find a coin that would make me feel good about it. I did see a hole there. The stupid bastud didn't even fill it in. I think I will go back and fill it.

I got my treasure from it already:thumbup:

n/t

I once took a friend to an old church with a cemetary fenced off just behind it.It was a very large area around the church with plenty of room for 2 people to hunt without entering the cemetary.I was digging several good signals and had recovered several good old coins-Indian heads,V nickels,and a couple of Barber dimes.I was hunting one side of the church,leaving the other side-that was just as good-to my friend.After a while I walked around the church to see how he was doing.To my surprise he had climbed the fence and was detecting - and digging-right in the middle of the cemetary-digging right on top of the graves.

I was so disgusted and POed that I threw my detector in the truck and told him we were leaving.He had no choice but to come with me or I would have left him there.On the way home I told him just what I thought about people who walked on and dug around graves in the hopes of finding a coin.He kinda laughed it off and told me he had no fear of the dead.I told him I didn't fear them either but thought it was very disrespectful to the people buried there and their familys.I also told him if I ever caught him around any of my familys graves I would take his digger away from him and stick it up his a$$.I was mad and didn't hold back.

I have never hunted with the fool since and seldom even seen him since.I have heard that he has been arrested a couple of times for trespassing on private property to metal detect.Fools like that make it bad for the vast majority of the responsable detectorists

it is because of clowns like that. Trespassers and those that don't fill holes really pizz me off. It is inconsiderate and just plain lazy. Besides that, it sure the hell lets others know there might be something there to hunt.