Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I think I got a hot Machine

petew

I've been using my new at pro I got last week,and found alot of stuff but nothing great.I have a test garden i made about 4 years ago with different depths,and took the At out there to try it out.
The 5x8 hit good at 8 inches in pro mode,but that's where it stopped,repeatable and diggable.
The stock,well that's another story.I burried a silver half at a measured 12 inches and in pro mode,sens max it hits it both ways,no numbers but a soft repeatable signal that I'd dig all day. Im surprised, actually shocked.ive heard that some machines are hotter than others,and I think that's the case here.I'm gonna baby this thing,I'm kinda scared to try and dunk it now.lol
The only other machine that has ever hit this coin at 12 inches was a signum 7272.

I airtest tonight,hits a silver half at 11 and a dime at 9,both were steady 2 way hits.went out for a short hunt tonight,nothing but clad.The quarters were deep,I'd say 7 to 9 inches.Now,I went over this same area with the f75ltd last week,11 dd coil.tonight I used the 11dd coil on the At pro.I know one machine will always find something the other missed,but this many coins?

Here is a picture of a gold earing I found on my first hunt last week with the At pro.It was found in a churchyard, surface find.I think someone lost it recently,it is hollow and broken.I was using the 5x8,cant remember what it came up as though, but it was on top of the dirt mixed in with the grass.

The stock DD, 12" on a silver half? I am not surprised. Sounds like you are going to have some great hunts! :thumbup:

Keeping a Pro out of the water is like penning in a duck in sight of a lake. Unleash the hound. Lol

Very interesting, but I doubt you just got a hot machine. That is a whopping 50% deeper than the other AT pros I have seen, and if there were a way to make the pro 50% deeper, Garrett would just make them all like that. I think something else is going on, like you have very good ground. There is a lengthy video of a guy that cannot get a silver half at 8 inches with his pro in hot ground, with the 5 x 8 coil. The general consensus among people who have used a plethora of detectors is that the pro is medium deep and priced accordingly. Can you get a video of your tests along with the measurements? I'm sure many of us are curious to see what's going on. Regardless of what the reason is, you should be able to make some really good old finds with those depth abilities. Go forth and get the good stuff!

I have a silver dime I burried almost 4 years ago and the small coil gets it just fine.I would film and dig that one up,but I'd hate to film and dig the half up,its been down there and I have other 8 inch coins burried.I'd say it might be 9 if it sank,its been awhile.I measured them from top of soil when I burried them.Its wet here,rained alot lately,and I always thought I had bad ground in Pennsylvania but maybe not,it's black that's for sure.But trust me,this at gets that half dollar,soft but diggable

Grilled Scallops said:
Very interesting, but I doubt you just got a hot machine. That is a whopping 50% deeper than the other AT pros I have seen, and if there were a way to make the pro 50% deeper, Garrett would just make them all like that. I think something else is going on, like you have very good ground. There is a lengthy video of a guy that cannot get a silver half at 8 inches with his pro in hot ground, with the 5 x 8 coil. The general consensus among people who have used a plethora of detectors is that the pro is medium deep and priced accordingly. Can you get a video of your tests along with the measurements? I'm sure many of us are curious to see what's going on. Regardless of what the reason is, you should be able to make some really good old finds with those depth abilities. Go forth and get the good stuff!
You say I'm getting double the depth that the At pro gets,so it only gets 6 inches?No,not in my ground, I must have good soil cause even the 5x8 hits 8 inches ,I know cause I burried the coin.I am completely sold on this machine,its that good.I've owned top shelf priced machines,and they're definitely not better than this at pro,no way.And the only machine that could compete with it in my soil is a aka,that much I'm also sure,had the signum 7272 and the At pro is on par with it,not as deep though.If anyone thinks the At pro is a lesser machine cause its priced (accordingly), you couldn't be more wrong.maybe,just maybe,your other machine is just over priced.But hey,its all about fun right.

I don't doubt you at all Petew. My AT Pro has reached deeep on occasion. In the wild, a lot has to come together for deep finds. (In my experiences) First of course there's got to something there. Then the soil your hunting. How long the coin been buried, (haylo effect) How the coin is laying, flat or on edge. Now I truly believe if the soil is damp I get better results. Then there's the direction, & speed the coil is hunted. I would think a half dollar laying flat at 8" at the above conditions, well it's a man hole cover.
The guys who really get down and hunt for old Silver, buttons, and what ever. They will grid a area from different directions, different speeds, different machines. Even after all that a old coin occasionally will come up shallow. Why is that? So somewhere recently someone posted that hunting a fresh plowed field isn't the best time. (Air pockets) Better results after the ground has compacted. I have found this true on fresh tot lot bark mulch. Also some machines are better hitting coins on edge than others. It all makes a very interesting hobby.

The A T's are a good bit deeper then many give them credit for. Ground, good g b, swing speed and how careful one hunts all come into play. I believe you as I know what mine can do. :thumbup: HH jim tn

One thing I did do ,was when I bury my coins I put a little salt,and vinegar on the coin.I read somewhere it helps oxidize it,and gives it a older halo like a coin that's been there for 50 years.Don't know if its true or not.

petew said:
You say I'm getting double the depth that the At pro gets,so it only gets 6 inches?No,not in my ground, I must have good soil cause even the 5x8 hits 8 inches ,I know cause I burried the coin.I am completely sold on this machine,its that good.I've owned top shelf priced machines,and they're definitely not better than this at pro,no way.And the only machine that could compete with it in my soil is a aka,that much I'm also sure,had the signum 7272 and the At pro is on par with it,not as deep though.If anyone thinks the At pro is a lesser machine cause its priced (accordingly), you couldn't be more wrong.maybe,just maybe,your other machine is just over priced.But hey,its all about fun right.

The performance of a phase shift/frequency domain/VLF detector is significantly affected by the ground. And by significant, I mean one could measure the difference with a ruler. It is the nature of phase shift detection. It sounds like you have ground that sings in harmony with your machine and it has created a very fortunate circumstance for you. I didn't call the AT pro a lesser machine as if to imply it's a piece of trash (it's certainly not), I said it is medium deep and priced accordingly, I told it like it is. You're kidding yourself if you think the AT pro is on par with the deepest VLFs out there. Time and time again, users find there exist machines which have more raw depth and additionally can I.D. more reliably at larger depths than the AT Pro. They are much pricier, and accordingly, sit higher on the pedestal. Should I link you to that video I mentioned earlier? I will have to check to make sure it's ad free first. At any rate, we are all looking forward to the amazing finds you're going to be making. Keep them coming!

Thanks for the advice,and the links to the videos,I e watched them all already.I see some videos that are in no time way near my results .I guess either its different ground,different setup(which is hard to do),or offset machines.I just don't know,But even the eurotek pro gets 7 inches in my ground on a fresh burried nickel.

Depth ability varies with soil type and moisture. Ive been to places where the ground was just perfect and got unbelievable depth , and Ive been to other places where I couldnt expect more than about 5" to 6" even after a good rain.

I once got a hot At gold instead of a pro. I dug a DIME AT 14-15 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After the fourth time, I took a tape measurer with me and in one day, dug a dime 13 inches, quarter at 15 inches, and a 3 penny spill at 13 inches. This might sound a little exaggerated, but it's not. I found this with the stock 5x8 coil, and here a tip for deep objects, KEEP THE GROUND BALANCE LOW, like from 2-15.