Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I stink with my GTP 1350 :cry:

lainylainy

I love to hunt for goodies. I had a Bounty Hunter then last year hubby got me a beautiful GTP 1350. I had more luck with my BH. Why can't I get figure out what I'm doing with this fabulous piece of machinery? Maybe it's too much for me...I just ordered an instructional DVD.

Anybody have any tips? I mainly like to search for coins and jewelry.

I have one and love it! Go to a beach and mark off and area about 2 ft wide and 20 ft long with anything (string, flip-flops, etc.) Scan the area in all-metal mode and remove everything from the area. Bury some coins (use nickles, pennies, dimes, and quarters) about 3 inches in the sand making sure they are flat relative to the surface. If you want label the location with something paper or plastic. Scan these a bunch of times without digging them up and play with sensitivity. Get used to these easy targets, then change how they lay in the sand. Put some at a 45 degree angle and see what changes. Put some in on their edge and be ready to not find them sometimes. Put a pull tab an inch from a quarter and scan it. You can make a test garden (and probably should) bu the sand allows you to easily change the coin and position many times. Spend a few hours doing this and then start adding trash. Stay away from profiling until you are confident recovering coins without it. Give the machine a chance and you will love it. Buy a good set of phones! My only gripe about the 1350 is the touch pad. My pinpoint switch doesn't always seem to work right when I wear gloves (which is almost always)

I replied to your other thread but then I saw this and it answered a question I asked back there. I had a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4, which I had gotten very good with, and I upgraded to an Ace 250. After I got the 250, I was sure I would never be able to make the transition. Had my Tracker 4 not died my Ace 250 would probably still be in the box. There is a HUGE difference between the two machines. At first I hated target ID too. Took away the surprise in digging in my naive mind. It took around 2-3 hunts, or about 5-6 hours, and I was hooked on my new rig and the new technology. In fact, I quickly upgraded to a GTI 2500 which is somewhat similar to your 1350. The 2500 was not as big a leap from the 250 as the 250 had been from the Bounty Hunter. I absolutely love my high end Garrett detector and I think you should take the time to get to know your 1350 before you give up. Size profiling is where it's at. I found an old dump this morning and was able to ignore several large targets while picking up a few smaller coin sized objects. Some of them were junk too but at least no deep cans and the big holes they require.

Let us know what happens. We all like to look at pictures of finds too.

Chris

Take your time, be patient, and practice, practice, practice. The 1350 is a very sensitive machine and you can't swing it like you did your BH. Turn your sensitivity down to about 6 to begin with and scan slow. What seems to be your biggest problem?

Bill

Im with Bill on this one. What specifically do you feel is the issue?

Thanks everyone.

I wrote in my other thread that I think my frustration with the sensitivity (my fault for having it on too high) is a big issue. Also that I still suck at pinpointing (my husband, gotta love him, also got me one of those want things with the buzzer and I still stink at it, hehehe).

My daughter wants me to teach her how to MD (she's 11 - long live the family line of dumpster divers!) and so I better get my act together with my 1350 before I try to show her what to do.

Please don't get sick of me just yet, I type very fast and will be posting many many questions in this forum!! :wave:

~Lainy