Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I spotted this Texas Long Horn over near...........

Kelley (Texas)

Santa Clara, Texas this afternoon. These are the cattle that became famous on the cattle drives from Texas to Kansas during the cowboy period of history after the Civil War. I estimate that this Long Horn is approximately 125 to 150 lbs. underweight, probably due to the recent drought conditions that we had down here in South Texas.

[attachment 143389 longhorn_3.jpg]

[attachment 143391 longhorn_2.jpg]

I found these two guard donkeys penned up on Hard Luck Road near Marion, Texas.

[attachment 143390 guarddonkeys_1.jpg]

I found it strange driving the pickup truck instead of riding the bike. It did feel good wearing my cowboy hat and boots, lot better than that bike helmet. I also can drive on some roads that I could not ride on with the bike which should enable me explore more sites in the future. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It's good to see some green in your shots for a change Fred!

Texas can be a place of "extremes"!

(That's not necessarily a "bad" thing, but it takes a pretty special breed of cat to live with them!)

CJ

were tougher than heck and resistant to disease.

Why you not riding your bike?:blink:

TC has been getting some rain. Any out your way that would help your situation?

Fair winds

Micheal

Rare to see them around these parts. I know of one farm that has one like that or did. Will the recent rains you guys had help any or will you really need months of that type of rain to get back to some decent feed? That one is ribby for sure. Seems like the shed it easy but put it back slow.....

Here is a picture I took the other day and I was going to ask you what kind it was. It was at the farm with the donkeys only out back. Decent size animal for up here. I'll attach the picture I took of it. My meat growing up was whitetail deer for most part. ON occasion my father would buy a side of beef and or a pig, but for most part it was whitetails for me, and fish, clams, crabs, lobsters. My Mom was a good cook and she could cook it up a lot of different ways so it didn't seem like the same meal all the time......

Picture attached....... George-CT

put the weight back on after a few months. The Long Horn is a long, lanky type cow and are naturally lean. It is difficult to tell for sure from the photo, but those three cows look like Angus Cows....two Black Angus and one Red Angus. We raised Red Brangus Cows, similar to the Angus Cows in your picture, but with more "ear" due to the Brahman Cow bred into them. Red Brangus we raised were 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Brahman, were polled, red color with pink colored nose, frame score of between 5 & 6. The Red Brangus can tolerate the heat better than most breeds. It is very important to fit the cattle to the land, not the other way around. There were many times where I saw someone from the city buy a ranch and place large frame cattle on the pastures and then wondered why they lost condition during times of heat and drought that we are famous for down here in South Texas. Whoa! Sorry for the long winded rambling. Kelley (Texas) :)

poor critter! However, most other breeds could not get that thin and live!
Those photos strike my country chords Fred:)

The hipbones on that thing look like it's got some Jersey in it. That steer'll put on a lot of weight over the next few months. Thing about longhorns is, they'll eat might near anything that won't eat them first & some things that would if they get the jump on 'em. Only the steers grow the really long horns, & in the Buckhorn museum in SA there's a full-body mount of a longhorn steer with horns that span slightly over 10 ft. It came off a Kerr County ranch--I don't think it was the YO--& it was killed by a bolt of lightning out of a clear blue sky. You gotta wonder what it was thinking about!

Back during the drought of the '50s it actually rained a good bit in East Texas. You'd see cattle over there standing belly-high in grass & you could count every rib. Out in the west you'd see pastures with just a few sprigs of grass in them, but the stock would look almost lot-fed. The reason was minerals. The soil in the east had the mineral content leached out of it years ago, so there were no minerals in the grass. It was just roughage, with almost no nourishment value in it. Out west the soil was mineral-rich, so what grass there was--admittedly, not much--was loaded with minerals & nourishment. To this day, east of about the Brazos, from I-35 south, cattlemen have to feed mineral supplements to their stock or they wind up scrub-sized. My dad bought into a bunch of feeder steers out of Florida one time. They'd never had mineral supplements. They never put on enough weight to bring enough money to make it worth raising them.