Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I seen a guy at Duck Lake State Park last night.........

warthog

He was donning a mask,and I think he was going in the back way to detect,not sure about the detector....In any event,if he WAS going in to detect,he was sneaking in the back way,and this is not good-Because Duck Lake State Park has a sign at the front entrance,stating in big bold letters 'NO METAL DETECTING IS ALLOWED IN DUCK LAKE STATE PARK',Marcia and I seen that sign last week for ourselves,when we went to see if it was allowed or not.

Michigan DNR has on their website a list of parks that allow it,and those that do not,I printed it off in the past.SO,there is no excuses for ignoring the 'NO DETECTING ALLOWED' signs at these lakes....

Please do the rest of us that obey the laws a favor,and stay out of places marked 'NO DETECTING',it makes the rest of us look bad........Warthog Steve.

Duck Lake was open last year to detecting. They changed it over the winter. You can still detect the inland beach side, which isn't anything special.
I called the park and the ranger there said that most likely they found pottery pieces dating way back. He said that that area was one of the first trading posts around. I asked him if that area will ever be opened up again and he said realistically no.
I wish they had public meetings or somehow we could voice are concerns. I have a feeling this is going to be a trend in the state parks these coming years.
Really sad because our hobby is getting more restricted by the day. For example you need a permit to hunt in Grand Haven. It use to cost you $2 for a year. Now it has increased to $15 per year and they are adamant that you only surface hunt. No digging, probing of any kind.

Bummer! Somebody not knowing any better, will park up on the road this Fall early of a frosty morning, and go down in on the beach and have one massive clad haul!
Pete, I had no idea a guy needed a permit in GH? Does that include the beach?
Mud

Hey Mud!
Any Park, School or City Beach in Grand Haven you must have a permit to hunt. I have yet to be asked to show my permit, but I do know someone that was.

Can you send me the link to the GH permit issue?

Mike,
Here is the pdf form for the permit.
http://www.grandhaven.org/uploads/pdf_forms_applications/departments/clerk/metal_detectors_app_ct.pdf

The license has more specific restrictions on it. You also have to fill out a "Background Check" form.

Background Check? For detecting? Strange...not gonna get one...If confronted I'll tell them I'm a tourist from Chicago and dint know any better...Well? I have lived in Chicago, and also have been a tourist once or twice...:rofl: