Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I posted this in reply to Cupajo's fine story about the Alligator Gars and thought I might as well

Royal

Post it here too so everyone will see just how big those suckers get!

I do remember one day on a creek off the St Johns River in Florida.

I was stationed at eh Jacksonville Naval Air Station for a while going to Aircraft Fundimental School in the Marines. I had an aunt and uncle living in a little village of San Mateo near Platka Florida. I would go there on weekends when I could. One day they took us, there were five of us, my aunt and uncle, cousin and her girlfriend and I in the boat and we set off up the mighty St Johns River.

If I remember right there was a creek, as they call them down there, running from Silver Springs to the St Johns River. That is the way I remember it anyway. I do remember that where it entered the river it was impossible to see as there were a lot of brush and such that the creek ran through as it entered the river.

It was just beautiful as I remember it. Crystal clear water and lots of flow. I think it might have been 8 ft deep or so and we made our way up river. I just looked at Google Earth and it looks like it might have run to Silver Springs but it was through a bunch of lakes and swamps.

Anyway, we had the creek all to ourselves and we pulled into shore and tied up. We stayed in the boat as it was so thick that it would have been rough to walk and with the cottonmouth problem we just fished from the boat. It was a beautiful day.

Beautiful but HOT! There was little breeze back there as the trees were cypriss as I remember and fairly tall. Since we were catching little and the water was so dang inviting, fast moving and clear and all we decided to go swimmin. Well it was clear but it was running through a snake and gator infested area so I figured the girls ought to dive in first. They thought otherwise and it was so hot that I decided to take the plunge. I stood up to dive in when we all heard a Wooooosh! and a huge form surfaced right next to the boat. It sorta rolled instead of splashed but that sucker was big!

I think about it today and I still can not understand how it got so dang close to the boat in that clear water without us seeing it. Maybe it was hidden under the boat or something. I have no idea how big that sucker was but I do know that three feet of its broad back was exposed at one time and it was making a dive, sorta came up and its head out of the water a bit and then rolled forward. That sucker was as wide as my thigh and just made this 18 year old Marine decide that it was hotter in the water than in the boat.

We never saw it again but I know that was at least a hundred and fifty ft long and weighed 2000 lbs. I might be wrong with that but I just Googled and they say they ----The alligator gar is the largest species of gar and is the largest exclusively freshwater fish in North America. It can be as long as eight to twelve feet and often weighs at least 100 pounds at maturity. The current world record alligator gar weighed 279 pounds and was caught in the Rio Grande River in 1951. Even larger alligator gars

Just reminded me of a close encounter with a sea lion... Gotta write that one up one day.

calm seas

Mikie

When I was a young boy, I heard that a kid had his arm bit off by one while swimming in the Red River in North Texas. Their teeth are so sharp that they can shred a telephone book with one bite. You best not mess with them. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I and others i know have been bitten by Pike in muddy waters where they just see a flash of a foot or hand and grab it. Mostly just nasty scratches but dang scary!
You guys can have them Gar all to yourselves:biggrin:

but of course most of mine have been in fresh water. Not much to eat you there and I doubt that the gar would even be a danger if not molested. I could be wrong on that though. I have never dove in fresh water with alligators in it either and I am not sure I would care to.

Actually I have seen quite a few sharks and baracuda on ocean dives and have never felt threatened. The scariest thing I have ever heard of is you with the dang whale!! I would have poluted the water for sure

[attachment 115673 garpike.jpg]

is when I was ice diving on a couple occasions. They are very lethargic at that time of year. I have seen them several times while kayaking the Cut River but they were much smaller than that one. That is a huge gar pike.

We lived at Greers Ferry, Arkansas for about four years, we lived close to Sugarloaf Mountain area. You could go down to the boat dock on any given day and either buy a handful fo "fish food" to feed them, or just bring some dry dog food from home. When you would though it into the water, hundreds of these fish would surface to the water to eat it, and they all did that rolling motion you described. I never say one swim off, just wallow all over each other churning the water, and the kids thought it was cool. I just thought it was disgusting and wouldn't eat a gar if my life depended on it! They were just gross! :puke:

Hi Sunny,

I've never heard of anyone eating a gar. I suppose if you were hungry enough---, but the larger ones are usually infested with parasites and probably on fit for dog and cat food after cooking to kill off the critters in the meat.

Best to Ya,

Cupajo

My dad has a old photo somewhere of a big one that he gigged sometime in the early 60s. Seems like it was something like 4 feet long