Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I need some cleaning tips!!!

Would like to get some cleaning tips that work well. Can't seem to get my coins clean. Also, does any one use tumblers for cleaning coins?

I use a tumbler that I got from harbor freight for $20-$30. Maybe tumbled 15 different times with it. I use small fish tank rocks from Walmart. I think it is 5 pounds? Don't get the colored rocks. What a mess. I use dish soap. 1/2 SOS pad, splash of lemon juice, tumble for about 4 hours. About 1/4 to 1/2 barrow of rocks about 100 or more coins (do not over load) about 1 oz. of soap and water just over the top of coins. Do not mix pennies with clad. Let them tumble for about 4 hours. When done I use a wire kitchen strainer. Dump the barrow of rocks and coins in strainer and put under water. pick out the coins and save and use the rocks again. It does a pretty good job. Most are spendable. Hope this helps...Z

I started using an old rock tumbler that used to be my sisters to clean up my clad. I throw in some sand and some pebbles with a little bit of dish soap. It works fairly well, although I'm sure a newer tumbler like the one Z uses would work much better. Z seems to have good success with that combination, so I think I'll try it next time.

Thanks for reading.
Oh, I use the lemon juice on the clad or nickel, dime, quarter. I don't use it on the pennies.
Was thinking. Some use dish soap, some use laundry soap, some use auto dish washer soap, I use green liquid hand soap. I was thinking about that hand soap that the guys in the repair shops use. I don't remember the name of it. It had the feel of sand paper when you washed your hands with it. I wonder if that would not be better? Will have to try it. If any one has already tried it please let me know how it worked? We are just cleaning spendable coins here so who cares if the value of the coin goes down? All I want is to spend them at the store... Z

Are you thinking Go Jo? The waterless hand cleaner? That might just work it has a grit in it, Beale.

Beale you are on the right track. It came in a red can and boy that stuff would cut the grease and get the hands clean. It does have that grit in it. Maybe they changed the name or something? That is what I am thinking of. I have two loads to clean so on a rainy day will try it. If the clad comes off of my coins I will know who to blame, Beale...:rofl:
My memory isn't getting bad. Its just that I am getting older and there is a much longer stretch that my mind has to reach back to. Z

Good advise everyone, I've heard some people using white vinegars, olive oil, lemon juice and even ketchup to soak your treasures in. Is
there any other additives that some of you use to clean your coinage..