Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

i`m giving up on the scoops and using a shovel.

dieseldust

was choosing my weapons this morning and went for a small long handled garden shovel. havent tried it since i started detecting but its pretty easy. it digs in with no effort , transfer the sand to a pile till you have the target then separate with your feet, fill the hole with the tailings and a quik search of the separated pile gives up the target. anybody else use a shovel?

was the post about the sandscoops that i put up last night out of line? i don't want to do anything i'm not supposed to.

I use mine as a shovel just as you described.

Hello all beach hunters.

Yes, I beach hunt and use a long wood handle shovel and a homemade basket. The basket is 12" in diameter and is 12" tall, like a bucket but made out of 1/2" wire mesh, sides and bottom. The top opening is held open with a plastic hoop. I tied a short cord across the top, sort of like a bucket handle and tied a 4 ft cord to the center of that. I added an "S" hook made from a coat hanger on the end of the 4' cord so I can attach the hook to the bottom of the basket and sling it over my shoulder so the WOT coil does not detect the basket.

You can make the basket any size, hovever I recommend an opening large enough for the shovel to fit into so the target can be easily deposited.

To use this set up, I use a homemade harness that supports the weight of the MD shaft/coil with doubled 1/8" bungee cord. This allows my two hands to be free to use the shovel when I locate a traget. Once the target is located, I place the coil aside and I just place the shovel about 7 to 8 inches behind the target and press the shovel straight down and dig until I get the target on top of the sand. Then I locate it with the coil and then scoop it up with the shovel and deposit it in the wire mesh bucket. When the bucket gets full of sand, I get any where from 5 to 8 targets, depending on how deep they were and how well I located the target in the sand pile. Shallow targets can just be approached with the shovel at about a 45 degree angle and then directly deposited in the bucket.

Once you find a hot spot, this is a very fast way to retrieve your targets; typically about 15 seconds from detection to retrieval.

I hope this gives you some ideas. I've been using this system for over 10 years and I would not go back to a scoop. With the WOT coil, I can get undisturbed coins beyond 15" so the retrieval is really excavating.

bbsailor