Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Like Pie

pennywt

It was a different time and place; the Oklahoma of my youth. Instead of special taxes, levees and school bonds, when a school or a church wanted to raise extra money; they'd have a Pie Supper. The local women would make a picnic supper, including a homemade pie and donated it to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. The winner of the bid not only got a fine meal, but also the company of the lady who made it and IF he was lucky and she wasn't spoken for already, she might even consent to take a stroll with him under a night sky. Don't get me wrong; The most he could hope for would be a kiss. Sex had not been invented yet, so not even married folk did "it". Makes me wonder how the species survived....but I digress.
Included in the festivities would be a barn dance for those with a leg to shake, a "jug" out back for those with a thirst and usually a fist fight for those with a grudge. Yup. A good time was had by all.
In my thirteenth summer I bid in my first Pie Supper.
After working all week for Old Man Allen, the cheapest meanest man in the county, I was first in line to draw wages on Friday afternoon.
Hurrying home, I pumped water from the well and not waiting it to heat on the old woodburner stove, took a chilly bath. Slicking back my hair and wiping some saddle soap on my boots, I put on my Sunday-Go-to-Meetin clothes and went out to saddle Tippy, our mule.
My rush to get there was partly due to my uncle Howard bein the auctioneer. He was the only one to know who made which basket and promised to give me a sign, when the cook would be someone he thought I'd like.
Getting to the church a couple hours early, I made myself useful by helping to set up chairs, while watching the gals from the corner of my eyes.
After what seemed an eternity, the auction started. No hawk ever watched a rabbit any closer than I did my uncle. I was beginning to think he'd forgotten me, when he looked straight at me and raised his little finger. I entered the bidding, but trouble raised it's ugly head. In front of me, sat my best friend and chief competitor, Jimmy Provence and his rich dad. He saw the signal and figured out what it meant, so he started bidding too.
In those days, money was money and most bids were won in the five or six dollar range, but that amount went by terrible fast and soon it was just Jim and me bidding against each other. At fifty cents a bid, the unheard of amount of ten dollars slid by unnoticed. I started to sweat, as my worldly fortune consisted of thirteen dollars and forty three cents and told myself that Jim and I might have to make a visit to the "grudge booth" later. Finally at twelve dollars Jim's Dad whispered in his ear and the bid was mine at twelve dollars and fifty cents.
She was beautiful. While time has erased her name from my memory, her face is still clear as a bell. Nor do I remember what was in the basket and for all i know, I may have eaten the napkins as well.
She was down from Kansas, visiting folks and was going home the next day. Yeah, she consented to a stroll and I got my first kiss from a real live girl.
That night, on the way home; Old Tippy must have been walkin in cotton and as for me, my mind had followed my heart, somewhere north of the Kansas border.
And yuh know sumpthin? To this day....I still like pie.

It sure woke up a memory in me. I only went to one of those Pie Suppers. It seems we called them a Pie Social up here in Michigan. They used to be common but I can only remember going to one and I was pretty young. My dad insisted on bidding for me and I won a pie from some big old "Older girl" of about fifteen or so. I must have been ten or eleven. I was scared of girls at the time and it was the fastest eaten pie I ever et.

Thanks for joining us with a great memory awakener. Welcome to out part of the web

And what a delightful story. We never had pie socials or anything like that in my youth. And I was raised in a pretty small, rural town.

I guess the closest we came to anything like this story was an easter egg dye party. We had no chocolate eggs back in those days so the moms got us kids together for an all neighbourhood Easter Egg party.:)

Sunny skies

M

we had similiar socials when i was a kid.
Interesting "handle" you have, are you a goldhunter also?
Thanks!
Wayne

will like it here. Everyone cares! Share some more of your stories with us! Sounds like you may have a few to tell, and we are good listeners! :)

She is a little hillbilly girl that likes Porcupine Turd Necklasses and Bass.

Always talking, but we love her :D

My thanks to all for the warm welcome. I thought this forum was rather like "The Chowder Society" of "Ghost story" fame; where it took a story to become a member. : )
Yeah, I donated two years to electronic prospecting in Nevada, Arizona, California and Oregon. While I became a "great gold hunter", I never became a "great gold finder". LOL
Jess

did your folks get mad about you spending all that money?if the mule was walking in cotton you must have been walking on air:).

Most post a story from time to time. Some of us just run out until someone new comes in with a fresh story that sparks a memory.

I have been putting the story's up top and keep them around for a while. After a bit I unsticky them and let them go back to where they were originally.

We still have some regulars that we have a heck of a time prying a story out of :D

This is a unique forum as there is never any fighting. :D I delete the nasty posts, which are usually mine or Wayne's. He is an old Gold Prospector himself.

if maybe he has some deleting to do,its a fun game:biggrin:
The rest of these slackers never get up early enough to see the good stuff:rofl:

n/t

I'm reading all your stories backward. Gosh, I sure did enjoy this one too! Just think, you had money left over after you won the bid!

Oklahoma is a grat state. I used to go there often. Welcome to the forum penny!

Lil Brother:)

I really enjoyed this story, too. Things just seemed simpler then.

It's so good to hear from "new" family. Welcome to the forum. Tell us another. We likes 'em!

"Tippy the mule." How neat is that?????? :)

aj