Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I kayaked the lower Cut River today

Royal

and what a beautiful day and the river was great.

This part of the river is not used much because in the summer there are so many shallow spots that a kayak or canoe will run aground. Because of that nobody keeps the trees cleared of the river, many fall down across it in storms. This happens with most of the rivers but the canoe liverys and DNR keep them clear, not so with the Cut.

I did not know what to expect so I took my small kayak as it is very manuverable. If I was gonna be dodging trees I was going to need it.

We have had a lot of rain this spring and there still had many places that would barely float my kayak and in many other places the water was over my head. The bottom is covered with trees and stumps, great cover for the smallmouth bass. Man that river has some huge bass, I saw a dozen at least as big as that dead one I posted a pic of yesterday. There was no hole I passed that I did not see bass, they were everywhere! I imagine there are so many because it is inexcessable most of the year. There is no access along the banks and there is no roads going anywhere near it in most places.

I floated for three hours and only found one piece of trash, one beer can. No paper or bait cans or anything like that at all. It is a very clear river down to wheere the Backus Creek enters. From there on it is dark from the Backus running through cedar swamps. Lots of Tannen in the water.

I saw nobody or no sign that anyone had ever been there at all. I saw deer two times but they were faster than my camera. I saw a dang turkey standing on a dead tree that spanned the river too.

There was a one mile area that it took a while for me to work my way through. There had to be a couple dozen blowdowns that blocked the river completely. I had to work to get through there.

The pictures are just some I took to show what it was like. Pictures are never enough to really give the feel for the area but you can get an idea what the shore was like. It would have been a hell of a job to hike out of there. Very thick woods.

I am thinking about doing the run again tomorrow. I sure wish you guys could join me :D It would be great to have someone to share it with. What an incredable day.

I almost forgot. I was talking to a lady today that lives on the lower end, near where I got out. She told me to watch for bear. There was one spotted swimming in Houghton Lake yesterday and there were a couple cubs spotted just down stream from she and I were talking. I didn't see any sign though.

[attachment 28610 lowercut1.jpg]

[attachment 28611 lowercut2.jpg]

[attachment 28612 lowercut3.jpg]

[attachment 28613 lowercut4.jpg]

[attachment 28614 lowercut5.jpg]

[attachment 28615 lowercut6.jpg]

I put in at the upper red dot and got out at the lower red dot :D

[attachment 28617 lowercut.jpg]

What the heck do you do if you see a bear near by. Particularly if she's got a cub or two with her ? They're pretty protective, are they not ?? Just wondering !

How deep and can you fish there??

Great shots Bud

Calm seas

M

you run across those bears that the lady was talking about. If you should spot the cubs, try to get a good "close up" picture. Are there any snakes in that brush along the river?

Thanks for posting the photos, especially the one of the turkey. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

I can see the smallmouth on bottom. The water varys between 4 inches deep to over six ft. On the outside of the bends it is deepest of course, or where there is a stump or big long. I might run it again tomorrow or maybe the Ausable.

If I see a bear and her cubs I will try to coax her in with an apple and maybe get a picture of me petting the cub.

Maybe not too :D

n/t

of neat places you have access to,i can see why you get out alot.if nobody's getting in there to fish that means there can't be much pressure on the population there,it might be someone's honeyhole.pictures do tell some of the story but i guess you have to feel it sometimes to get the full effect.kind of like horse races,you see them on t.v. but until you feel the energy and sound of the hooves hitting the ground it's just not the same.

These are just little snap shots and the trip was three hours of continous scenery like this. Every bend was new and I never knew if I was going to have a log jam to contend with or open river. When I go down I will know what to expect except that the water levels might be different or new trees might be down. Every storm will change it.

I will have to be careful of the water levels because I could end up towing the dang kayak over much of it in the summer.

The fish will still be there but consentrated in the holes

low water (winter) "beaver channels" in a couple.
Good stuff Royal, must have been a super day!

beaver activity at the lower end. It is amazing the chanels those suckers can dig. I would not even think of doing it for a meal of bark!

do ya carry a saw with ya? That was one butt-ugly snag!