Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I just had the privilege to try 2 Excelerator coils on my GT

brobox

I was fortunate to be able to give a test run on two Excelerator coils for the Sovereign GT, the 16.5 inch and the 12.5 inch, on our beaches here in SW Florida.

I covered a 1/4 mile of a well know beach, took my time over lapping my swings and drug my shovel in the wet sand to mark my path.

The 16.5 that I used did not do the job for me. It was not sensitive to small target, got a little heavy at the end of the 1/4 mile, was a little hard to pinpoint with, but did pull large targets at an impressive depth. This would be a good relic coil, but did not do well on the beaches I hunt.

Went back to the truck and changed to the 12.5 coil, man, what a difference! I followed the shovel marks on the same path and pulled numerous SMALL aluminum can slaw targets, some as small as my pinky fingernail, at very impressive depths of 8-10 inches and some even deeper. I dug coins that I know the 16.5 missed as my foot prints were there where I swung the larger coil and they were at a very impressive depth. The coil was lighter than the stock 10 inch Tornado and was a pleasure to swing. Pinpointing was dead on and easy to hit the target the first time. This coil is a keeper, very sensitive and should do well on small gold, I am impressed and will be adding one to my detector.

Chuck in Cape Coral

Hey Chuck,

Have you ever tried the Sunray S12? If so I was wondering how that 12.5 felt in comparison. Sounds like a good coil and the coverage is good also.

That larger one makes my arms hurt just reading about it:cheers:
Thats to much coil for me.

HH
Neil

Hi Chuck,

I don't hunt beaches as there is none close by, but do alot of park, ballfields, school yard and any place people have been at. I find the bigger coils than the 12 inch don't do much for me for this type of hunting as the depth is never better on coins and they are heavy. For a big coil the S-12 of Sun Rays has done very good for me for my type of hunting. It would be nice to see the Excellerator 12.5 compare to the S-12 of Sun Rays as far as weight and depth like Neil says.

Neil,

I wish I had an S-12 to try with the same test I did with the 16.5 and the 12.5 Excellerator coils. I would like to see how those two coils preform side by side. I have heard nothing but good about the S-12's but I have not tried one and I would sure like to.

Chuck

I have the S-12 on my GT and it's outstanding. I had an Excelerator 12.5" on my Quattro and used it on my Explorer II and my Explorer SE as well, with outstanding results. I would put the Sunray and Excelerator coils side-by-side in quality and performance...both are super. Is one better than the other? I would say no.

Well, without having weighed them, I would say yes. They are so close in their design and dimensions that any difference would be negligible. You can't go wrong with either one.

I've the 14" Detech Penetrator and the Sunray 12" and they both weigh in at exactly the same weight. Sensitivity edge goes to the S 12 but the Detech is a bit deeper on larger targets.
Sunray build quality is great but the Detech's, though looking O.K. can have slight warps which can effect the performance which could exclude them from being a good buy from E-Bay.

I didn't want to say anything not having tried an S12, but I couldn't see how another coil could be more sensitive and deeper than the targets I was recovering with the 12.5 Excellerator coil. Thank you for giving me a comparison to the two coils. I think the 12.5 Excellerator is a winner.

Chuck

Here's a pic of the monster 18" Excelerator and a bit of a review of it I just ran across. It's for a Whites but still and interesting read. Since this thread is linked in the coil sticky concerning the 12 and 16" Excelerators, I figured this would be a good place to tuck info about the 18" Excelerator. There is a pic of the 16.5" Excelerator on a Sovereign stuck in the coil sticky towards the end if I remember right.
[attachment 251856 Coils.JPG]
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?31,666270