Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have not had much time for the web as of late

Royal

I am trying to finish my new workshop before winter. The fact that it is my first project of the kind and I might add, the last :D, makes it slow. If it were not for three friends, two helped get the walls and trusses up and my budy Dave has been there ever dang day I have, it would probably look like an Igloo. I am no builder for sure.

It is just going to be for my woodworking. I make sawdust out of perfectly good lumber but it will give me something to do in the winter. I put a 14x24 room in the attic for storage and maybe some day a guest room.

Yesterday we started on the stairs, which is a slow job, easy to screw up perfectly good wood, but it is coming along fine. I am paying to get the roof put on but the shingles are special order and slow coming. I am not gonna crawl around on that dang roof. I am not a young kid like George :D

The garage door will come in a few days and I have to get at the siding soon.

We have had company the last three weekends and that slows things down too.

Mary has gone to Portland for 10 days to visit her daughter and that speeds things up a bit though :D

It is not nearly the project Mike had with the cabin but I sure understand what he went through to get it done. Never again. Too old for this crap but excited about getting it done!

[attachment 138802 IMG_9601Large.JPG]

[attachment 138803 garagestairs.jpg]

n/t

I know you are good at it because I saw how your work stacked up against Mike's "greenhouse" :lmfao:.
I'm in a similar situation....Carol liked the bed I built my daughter so she asked if I could build her a
Shaker style dresser. Well now that's turned in to buying a new box spring and mattress, and a new bed, dresser
and end tables for me to build over the winter. I think it's finally sinking in who's the real boss around
here.

around lunch time as you were putting it up. Looking great. I saw the stair stringers pop up yesterday. Nice and wide also. I like the way you boxed in the tree on the upper deck also. Down side is if it has nuts on it. I have 2 big oaks on my back deck and its a pain in the butt with all the acorns. Like ball bearings at time out there.

That sure will make a nice workshop and place to migrate to in the winter. I know what you mean about the knee's etc. Those shingles bundles are heavy. Your place is looking great. Organized. Not one of my better skills....

George-CT

about every move. Dave helps a lot but there are some things I have to decide and it gets a bit confusing at times.

That hole for the post, right behind the red ladder, took me over 8 friggin hours-continuous- to dig. Roots all the bloody way. I was plum worn out by the time I got through them. I used an electric chain saw and a saws-all to get through them and now I fear the inspector will want me to put another one in. :(

I started on the soffit today and will be working on it again tomorrow. The garage door will be coming some time in the next week. I will be starting on the siding as soon as I get the soffit and fachia done. If I spelled that right it is pure luck :D

Every day so far I have gotten more done than I expected, including today.

The sun knocks the crap out of me though. It gets high and my old butt gets to dragging. I try to get out there at 8 or so in the morning. I talked to my neighbor and he said 8 is fine. He is a great neighbor and I intend to keep it that way :D

If anyone else has a high speed connection and is interested in watching my live video camera, send me a private message and I will give you the web site and username and password, that is if I know you :D

to consider a gas post hole digger. Just have to be careful with roots as they can fetch up pretty good. To bad we were not closer, I have on on my tractor. Neighbors use it more than I do. Anyone close by with one on a tractor? Beats trying to hole on to it. If no roots, they work great. All roots here also. Takes the fun out of it fast. yeah, I don't last like I used to either. My mind says go, but the body don't agree anymore. I have to pace myself.

My buddy rented a bobcat unit, with a hydraulic auger on it. He put up a pole barn and even with the roots it went fast...Not sure whats up your way for rentals....

I see all your progress on it and all the little things that consume time.

Geo

I don't have one but it was a neighbor ladies that came down to check out the garage.

you can move it around from your computer. If you use Explorer and not Mozilla you can zoom in but the picture sucks. You can darken it too which helps some times.

shout orders and cheer you on. LOL...... I saw you upstairs this am working for a bit.... Putting new rotors on my daughters car so in and out here. Are we gonna get Shop Cam also...?

Geo

you could do it with Skype. I might as I will have a computer out there, I have a spare one and I can finally get the Router to work that distance. I am gonna run water, phone and of course power out there so I might as well run a line from my router. It will work wirelessly though.

They are improving the cameras all the time.

I was working on the soffits. I almost have that end done, the front and back are done but the far end I need help with the dang big ladder. That sucker is a nut buster :( I have to get to the peak. I am not sure just how to do the corners and a neighbor is going to come over tomorrow and show me. The siding will be next I guess.

I have to get handrails on the stairs and a railing around the deck but am not sure how high it has to be and what code is. I will find out monday from the inspector. It sure is nice having the stairs though. My dang feet feel like crows feet with all the ladder time.

ball buster! It takes two men to handle it safely. I got it up on that side but will wait until tomorrow to do the other end. As you see it there it is not extended at all.!!

32 and 38 inches depending on the town code. Outside rails on a porch here are 40 inches. Qucik call to the town should take care of that. Check on the spacing between the bars or vertical whatevers your putting on the outside rails. I know they have made those smaller than mine are now. It was 6 inchs but that has been made smaller for the kids. A neighbor down the road had a beautiful wrought iron one and the town really broke his stones over it. He was asking me if I could do but he didn't want to take them out and didn't want the smoke in there. Long story short, he ended up putting plexie glass on the inside face all the way along it. That more than met code and also let him still see the wrought iron rails.

n/t