Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have been wanting to do a kayak run

Royal

on the North Branch of the Ausable River. Not many make the run as there are no rentals there and there are a lot of closer spots, like the Mason Tract where I usually go.

The I looked at the map and saw a run from Lovells Michigan south looked interesting. I drove up there, only 45 minutes from home, a couple years ago and looked over the river and thought it looked like a fun trip. The problem is, I had no clue were to get on and where to get off. Most of the land along that stretch of river is private.

I looked at Google Maps and saw it was a pretty meandering river and it should have a lot of wildlife to see.

It is rainy again today and since Mary is headed back down state tomorrow I thought it might for us to take a run up there and do a bit of research. Like I said, it is only 45 minutes and when we pulled into Lovells Mary was amazed. Hell there are only three buildings that we could see. One small gas station and a tiny restaurant and the other, I had no idea what it was.

I turned toward where the river crossed under the road and saw that there was a fly tying shop on the river. I went in and asked them if they could give me some advice where to get in and out, distances and time for the run. They told me and we headed off and looked the areas over so when we floated it we would be prepared.

It is just beautiful! Narrower and swifter than the south branch from the little we could see. It is one of the premiere trout rivers in Michigan, along with the entire Ausable River Drainage.

I am including a map of the run of the river. I spliced three together but the other two headed east so I had to include them separately.

I just looked at the weather and Thursday looks like it will be perfect. I have no clue what the conditions are going to be on this river but am sure the water will be much faster in places and lots of snags and such. Gonna bring the dry bag and cell phone for sure. I am going to be alone so I have to be prepared.

I am really looking forward to it. Of course the little camera is going to be mounted on the bow. :D

I will be going from Lovells in the top left corner, don't pay attention to that dang lovells name in the middle of the pasture :D to that Kelloggs Bridge.

The first picture is from north to south and the next two work south-east. I hope they make sense.

[attachment 128448 nbpan1web.jpg]

[attachment 128449 nbpan2web.jpg]

[attachment 128450 nbpan3web.jpg]

forward these maps to the search and rescue units, but when? What time are you due home;)
Be careful buddy!:biggrin:

the top of the picture at put in, to where you will haul out? Sure looks like a lot of private areas for sure. What does a 45 minute drive in a car/truck transilate to in running, with a kayak? With all the curves it looks like a day run. Be a great workout for your new cam for sure. Any hidden Geocaches on it? Did the fly tieing shop mention if people run it often? Do you bring extra gear like a small tent or anything incase you need to do a night lay over? Being back alone Thrusday, how do you get to the start point with your car and have a pullout car at the other end. I know you mentioned one time about leaving the scoot at one spot.... Can't do that here anymore. To many light fingered people now that don't understand if its not yours, leav it alone.... Now you need to get a GPS sending unit, like Spot or something so we can track you down the river...... Gotta love all this high tech stuff coming out......

Look forward to seeing your video clip of it.......I guess, keep the smooth slippery side down is in order.....

Geo-CT

as the crow flys it is only 6 and a half miles but lots of bends and it looks like there are a lot of places a person could get turned around. I will be taking my GPS along for sure so I can know exactly how far the paddle was.

This is not wilderness like Mike and Wayne are used to. I can not imagine having to hike out but it could happen. If it did it would not be all that much problem. Just start walking :D

For this type of run I will just take some water, food (usually a Sub) and some beer. Bug spray and that is about it. I am going alone as Mary is headed south and before I go with her I want to know what is coming. Don't need no Pizzed of woman along. She handles the river as good as I do though, my big arse dragging bottom and all you know :D

This is the rig I use to haul my kayak and scooter. It was a motorcycle trailer and I had the racks made up for it. I hope it is clear enough to make out.

I drive to the put in site and drop off the kayak. I then drive to the other end and leave the truck and trailer and take the scooter back. I make my run, load the kayak on the trailer and drive back and get the scooter. Works great.

I have not really had anyone bother my scooter or kayak. One time the scooter was laying on its side, some drunk punk I imagine.

Kayakers rarerly run this section I have been told. Mostly trout fishermen.

Wish some of you guys were here to join me:thumbup: Ought to be interesting for sure. No rapids but lots of snags and bends, very narrow in places so the water is faster than the Mason Tract.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i6.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/RoyalOttmar/Videos/AVI_0001.flv">

nice ride on the water. There are quite a few rivers right around me here also. If you google earth to North Windham, South Windham, you will see the Yantic River on one side of me, and Natchaug on the other side. They both get a lot of Kayak use. I'm there on Beaver Hill Road at the top of the hill....Natchaug flows into the big body of water behind the Army Corps Dam....They have big kayak meets there in the summer. Fact yesterday no meet, but there were a lot of them out there. Good way to keep active and do it with the family if one likes. Look forward to the video clip....

[attachment 128464 gep.jpg]

you can see the roof of the barn.... All the houses you see on the road Beaver Hill Road were part of this. We own up to them along the road and over to the straight road at the top left. Thats how we got this place. The guy who owned it all was starting to build a development for 80 homes. That little road is Nutmeg lane. He was sending the money back to his wife in Sugarland Texas, and
she was blowing most of it up her nose. All of a sudden the bill collectors were all over him. We bought what was left and at the closing, they were right there to get what they could. Felt sorry for the guy as he was a nice fella. If you pan out in a large view, you will see the Airport below us, Mansfield Hollow Lake and a bunch of rivers north and south..... Hard to see this time of year with all the leaves... Google Earth Mansfield Hollow. I'm located to the left of it looking north...

Geo

[attachment 128465 gep.jpg]

the property borders. Nutmeg Lane in the green border is where he got to. We took all that was left... The one big pasture and the ones we are working on on this side of the road......Not a very good picture. I have a better one here taken in the winter with no tree leaves in the way and you can see all the rock walls etc...

Geo

n/t

I could not but this guy and many others sure could. Look at it some time on your laptop when you are near a good connection

http://kayakwaterfalls.com/

Mary and I were on the Manistee River and paddling past a couple hotties. I was not looking at the river, which is necessary if you are going to avoid rocks and logs and such, I went up on an old stump and before I knew it I was a rolling over :D

Mary figured I had it coming.

I have never done the rough water kayaking. My interest is in nature and getting away from people. You can do it on a river. I some rough water rafting but not kayaking. Many people were in kayaks that day on the Gauley River in West Virgina http://www.gauley.com/ but we were in a raft. At least most were :D That is the one I got thrown out in a class 5 rapids:thumbup:

They took a serious set of nads to try. Coming up on the edge of the fall before going over. Had to be thinking where are the brakes on this sucker.... I wonder how they judge they will miss the rocks below that are usually there or does it toss them out far enough to miss them all. I know at Niagara Falls, I see all those rocks from behind the falls and wonder how anyone gets over them and lives. great movie clip.....

Geo-CT

n/t