Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have a Quattro with 15' WOT on the way....a few questions.

Mark in Alabama

Well, my search for a new detector ended with my wife clicking "buy it now" on ebay! I was watching this Quattro but wasn't sure if I wanted to pay so much or try a new machine. My wife made my mind up for me and just bought it! How super! I'm a long time sovereign user and I love my old sov and its tones but I wanted to step up. I think I got a pretty good deal.....a Quattro about a year old, slightly used with new 15 inch WOT coil and stock 10.5 coil and an X-1 probe all in like new condition bought for $650.....is that good? I think its a great deal considering the price of the accessories that come with it and it all looks mint! I just hope I can get the most out of it and learn it as well as I did my sovereign. Any tips on initial settings? I don't want to just hit a preset program button and go....I want to get the most out of it! I guess I will just have to tinker around with it and figure out the best settings for my soil and hunting situation. I have never used a WOT coil before....are they good compared to other large coils like the S12? What does the Quattro do when you go over iron? With the sov you can hear the threshold hum go silent when iron is underneath and it reads minus numbers on the meter. I need the mastering the Quattro book now I guess.

Mark..get the Mastering the Quattro book by Andy Sabisch..It is my Quattro bible..Also remember the quattro has a much slower target recovery time than your Sov..LOW and SLOW..GL & HH.. Larry

Mark,
You got a good deal. You can auction that WOT coil off for an easy $150. The X1 probe is also worth at least $150. So you basically got the detector for $350 which is a steal.

If you have used Minelabs before I don't know if you really need the Mastering book. The key is to go slow. It took me awhile to get use to the slow sweep speed because I used White's for a couple years before I got the Quattro(I now use an Exp II).

As for the WOT. Put it in the closet for a year. There are very limited applications for it's use and you have to be an experienced user to use it effectively.

I would recommend using Ferrous Tones and run at -14 IM. That is just notching out iron which usually comes in around -16 to -15. You will have to play with the sensitivity. Most sites I was able to run it up to 90% of it's maximum. If you get a lot of nulling then you will need to take down the sensitivity.

Bob

I will probably post my results after this weekend if I can get my arms and legs to work....I just moved into a new house and man am I tired ! Thanks for your tips guys. Good luck to all. Mark

I have to question what Mirage said about "putting the Wot into the closet" for a while, although, I've never owned a WOT, I've read rave reviews about them on this forum, in fact and if I were you, I'd try and locate past posts or "achieves" of this forum on the WOT coil. There's some guy in Australia that uses one and has found tons of coins on the beaches down there with it, but, maybe Mirage, was alluring to the idea of it might be a tricky kind of coil. I'm not sure, and I know I'm sticking my neck out saying all this, but I'd do some research and I'd definitely get Andy Sabisch's book where he "touts" the wot as being a good alternative coil. Besides all that stuff, and staying with the coil idea, I'd consider looking at the excellerator small elliptical coil which I heard about on the Explorer section of this Forum. Mike from Virginia Beach was bouncing off the wall about it. You might look at that one as a "super pin pointer" type of coil with reasonable depth to boot. I have the 5" excellerator, but it's just a round coil, but it still pinpoints really good. Super trash separator, but covers less ground per swing. Something to think about. Marc Trainor.

I tried the :coiltec: 15' WOT out the other day at an old park that has been cleaned out through the years and I was hoping to find some deep older coins missed by others but I never got in to any old coin spots. I hit every indention in the wide open areas of the park where trees used to be you can see the sunk in spots after the roots and stumps rotted or were pulled up. I thought for sure I would hit something good but only a few modern pennies at about 5 to 6 inches and a couple of junk items that were deep.....like 10 inches. Oh well, I figured it would be nice to go back over some old sites with the WOT where preferably trash is to a minimum and get some missed deep targets..... older relics :biggrin: I can tell the WOT is gonna find some nice deep targets and it is very sensitive. I have to make do for a while with the stock 10.5 & Wot coils and get a smaller coil later so I can get in some trashy and tight spots. I'm looking at the different options so thanks for your feedback. HH everyone. Mark

Well now that I kind of challenged Mirage a bit on the 15" WOT, coil, I was wondering if my challenge would hold water. I only remember a few posts where some guy had one and used it for a bunch of beach work, but he seemed to really like it and found a lot of coins, plus, to me, another advantage, is because it's bigger in diameter than the standard coil, it covers more ground per swing. Well, it sounds like you seem to like it. At least it's picking up some deep stuff and like you say seems to be pretty sensitive. I'm saying all this, because I've been considering buying one, so I'm glad to hear any input on it. Sounds like your rockin and rollin, so far and all you might need now to "sweeten the deal" so to speak, is a smaller coil for specialty hunting. Keep those post's a comin' I love reading about this stuff. Marc Trainor.

I also use a Minelab Sovereign as well as the Quattro and I had a Sunray S12 coil that I went back over an area I had already hit several times and I wound up finding several Indian head pennies I had missed that were very deep....a couple were over 10 inches. I would imagine the Sunray X12 coil for the Explorer & Quattro would be very nice too. As far as the 15 inch WOT coil......I need to test it a little more but it seems to be a very good coil I just haven't dug any real deep coins or anything beyond the reach of the stock 10.5 coil yet with it. I like being able to cover a lot of ground with the WOT coil but if there are lots of signals close by each other it can be hard to use. To me the perfect site for a coil such as the WOT would be a " hunted out" spot where the signals are deep and far between. A place where there are only deep items.... missed by other detectorist. You could cover alot of ground and find that hot-spot in a field or wide open area easier also. And the beach would be a great place to use the WOT. I need to do some serious testing:biggrin: with the WOT and see what I can come up with. Until then, good luck & HH all......Mark

Yea, Mark, your making tons of sense. I would imagine the 12" sun ray, would be a great "bigger coil" than the original, but kind of a happy medium as far as not getting too many signals like the 15" wot might get. I get your jist here. I'm pretty lucky that most of our beaches are either pretty worked out, or pretty devoid of trash, so the 15" wot would seem to do nicely, but in some of the trashier areas, I guess it could be a nightmare. Better bring out an 8", or 4 or 5 ", or even the standard coil, but put in in the high trash kind of mode.