Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I had to take a run into Houghton Lake today

Royal

and then up to Grayling. On the way I knew I would be passing a Blue Huron rookery and thought I would stop and see if there were any birds still in the nests. I took my camera along with the telephoto lens. The rookery is quite a ways from the road, where I had to stay but I thought I might be able to get a shot or two.

Blue Hurons nest in groups called Rookerys. This one has over 35 nests in it at the top of old dead trees. They are between two highways in a flooded area. Just perfect for fish eating fish like Hurons.

[attachment 64217 rookery.jpg]

This is just a small part of the Rookery

I pulled up and sat in the truck, looking for any movement but saw none. It looks like they had all fledged their chicks and I was too late. I was getting ready to pull out when I noticed a big bird flying over the trees. There were two of them! Eagles are rather common in the area as they feed on the fish in the area too.

One of them swooped down toward the roost and I'll be danged if it was not an osprey. They also nest in the area but usually on man made stands put in the middle of a swamp. I had the camera in my hand when I saw the sucker head for a big nest!

Osprey are sometimes called Fish Eagles and they are big too. As this bird came to the nest a chick popped up and greeted it. Man I was excited! Got a couple pictures fast and hoped they would come out.

This new camera can take 3 shots a second and in Sport mode it will lock onto a moving target and keep it in focus. At least that is what it said in the book and I will be danged if I didn't remember it!

I quickly switched to sport mode and started looking around for the mate. I saw it off a ways and just aimed the camera at it and cut loose. The thing was a long shot with a 300 mm lens and hand held by a sucker that had no clue what he was doing but I let er rip.

It flew off a ways and another one came into view. I aimed it it and held down the shutter. All together I got maybe 25 shots at the birds. I didn't figure there was any way any would be worth a darned but this is the way to learn how to use the camera I guess.

I just got home and dumped them in the puter and was very happy with how they came out, considering the conditions. The focus is not perfect and the one picture of it with the fish, looks like a small pike to me, was of the bird flying away from me. I could not tell which way it was going at the time. But all in all I like the results. Most of the pictures were in pretty good focus, considering the distance and hand held and I got shots I would never have gotten with my old cameras.

[attachment 64218 Osprey-landing.jpg]

This is the bird at the nest. I first saw it about here

[attachment 64219 Osprey-landing2.jpg]

[attachment 64222 Osprey-flyingfish.jpg]

[attachment 64221 Osprey-flyingfish2.jpg]

You can see the fish in its talons. Not a bad sized fish either

That would be a difficult thing to do. The eagles are beautiful birds. We have them all over the place up here. luckily, when we are growing meat chickens, the dogs keep their heads up and chase any eagles that show an interest in the birds. :) They run after them, even though the eagles are way up in the sky, yapping their fool heads off. And we encourage them to do that.

calm seas

Mikie

had no clue that it had a fish in its talons until I loaded the picture on the puter. It was just too far away.

The camera is great because at three shots a second you can watch his wing beats.

It ain't me. Its the camera but I sure the heck have a lot to learn

them and got to see them for the first time. Does your camera have a "look back" mode, like our old ones do? The bird with the fish is a pretty amazing photo! :) And you mentioned you read the user's book............that's a good thing to hear. Most of the time, us wimmins have to read them TO you guys! :rofl: I would say you had a most excellent day with the camera! :thumbup:

will.

By the way, a file comes with Photoshop that tells you how to us it. I imagine you must have read it so I have a few Photoshop questions to ask you.

Also your PC came with a manual. I have a couple PC problems too. I need a learned Lady like you to act as my Guru:thumbup:

I am so thankful that you ladies read the books.:rofl:

memory card and I can get over 1000 his res pictures on it. Amazing

i seldom see birds that fish,and except on t.v. i never see them with one.i guess if i hung out at the lake i might.

we used to have em all over the place but now they're mostly up North near the Mississquoi River.

n/t

n/t

At first, I thought the big bird was carrying a lizard rather than a fish...amazing shot. I hope that you will post some more animal and bird pictures as you take them...especially a picture of a bear. Thanks for posting these pictures, I really enjoyed them. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I've had a couple of encounters with these graceful birds but never had a camera (in recent years) capable of taking advantage.

Recommend you invest fifteen bucks in a monopod. It will give you the sharpest photos when using that big 300mm mommajamma. Along with the monopod, just flood the lense in good light and you will like the results every time.

Thanks for sharing.

aj

and I did not expect it. I had not even thought about it. :shrug:

That's gonna be a fun unit. It's amazing, the camera technology available today. The darn pics look professional ! Nice job !!:clapping: