Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I got out on the deer stand.....

Lil Brother

today at 330pm. A cold front from our Canadian friends finally went through and after all the rain had quit, I thought it might be a good time to see one moving around. The temp. dropped 25 degrees today and it's still getting colder.

First off, I have to admit that I dressed like a dumbazz; for all i had on was my thermal underwear, jeans, shirt, socks, shoes, and a pair of carharts.(after all, it's been in the 70's for the last month), I thought to myself, "well, it's brisk, but it kinda feels good."BIG MISTAKE! I didn't notice at the time, but the wind never really stopped after the front came through.

I climbed on top of my 12 ft ladder stand with just my heated cushion,(you throw it in the microwave for a couple of minutes), and my bow. I had seen a nice buck there on the first day of archery season and thought that if he didn't get blown awayby now by all the guns, that I might get another chance at him.

I had my hunter orange on because I didn't want some idiot to shoot me even though I must admit that I don't really like to where it. I sat on the seat and immediately started getting cold. The wind blowing like crazy and was at least 15-20 mph. It would cut through you like a knife. It NEVER stopped and rarely let up. The woods were loud and I knew that it would be easy for one to slip by me. Regardless of what I was going through, I was intent on staying. My eyes were trained years ago by one of the best--My Dad.

I had flashbacks of when Daddy would put me on a stand when I was young. I would get SOOO cold. My feet would bw like two 10-lb blocks of ice. Today my hands were and my feet were not far behind. Back in my younger days when I was 10 or 11, I remember taking my hunting coat off and using it like a blanket. I would curl up underneath it and just shiver. I knew that unlike those days, I would only be here today for a couple of hours and that I could take it.

It was really beautiful there today with the leaves raining sideways at times. The floor of the forest was a deep gold and red color. Almost all the acorns are off the trees by now,(thank goodness...we just put my metal roof on a month ago), and the deer have to start moving soon. I made the 15 minute walk to my truck in record time. Behind me to the east was a big full moon coming up with dark clouds swirling all around it.

Today was not to be, but maybe another day will be. I got home to my beautiful wife and not only did she greet me with a big smile, but with a cup of hot chocolate to sip on while I waited on my dinner. I got my belly full of chicken and dumplings and biscuits and now a hot shower awaits before I turn in for the night.

Thanks again to my friends in Canada for the fall/winter like weather. Maybe it will stick around for awhile this time. Good night everyone.

Lil Brother:)

to go out into our finally fall woods. I am going to try and post our moon tonight, for I, too, was quite intrigued by it! ILY, see you Monday morning as we do not get home from Virginia until late late Sunday night! :)

[attachment 11043 DSC03716.jpg]

n/t

you are a lucky man. Having a loving woman at home must be a blessing. You are a lucky man

In 1981 my brother and I went hunting with some friends in Winnie Texas in a rice field, about 20 miles from the beach at High Island. We got there about 4:30 am and proceeded to make blinds. I was wearing Army regular cold weather gear because it did not seem too cold, somewhere around 5 degrees. Then the wind started blowing up to about 45 mph or more. All of a sudden it was like Greenland, and turned out to be the coldest day in recorded history for that area, with a wind chill factor of about 60 degrees below zero. Add to that fog, and so much for seeing ducks. The only thing I thought about was getting warm, because I'd never been so cold in my life. With the fog present, I thought, "what the hell", and built a fire. Who knows, maybe the ducks would smell smoke and home in on it. Well the fog blew out about 9:30, but no other conditions changed. We did see some ducks and geese though, about a mile high, but it would have taken a Vulcan or a Chapparell to hit them.
So if you ever hunt under those conditions, you will 'Duck Hunting', the rest of your life.

zoomed up as much as it would allow, and took a shot. It was any awesome one, and the wind was blowing, I just got lucky. Then I used Photoshop to zoom it a bit more, and resize it, and it actually turned out. A bit grainy, but still turned out okay I thought.

Is your email addy working????? :)

for gripin about the "cold" weather we're havin'. But I'ma tellin' 'em all..."IT'S ALL RELATIVE!!" :) If we lived in Alberta, we'd probably be runnin' around in shirtsleeves.

But that's OK. Your story sure did hit close to home! Those deer hunts of our youth are emblazzoned upon our hearts, just the way Daddy intended them to be. Precious memories! Preciouis memories, Oh! How they linger!

Thanks for sharing and stirring the memories again as our long-awaited "cold spell" approaches us. <><

Johnboy

2213, 28" aluminum XX75 Eastons tipped with a 75 grain Miniblaster 3L (1 3/4" cutting diameter).

He launches his 475 grain projectile from a great performing Matthews bow, sending them out at about 310 fps...or somewhere there-a-bouts. :D

aj

I'd bet you went Airborne and Ranger too, at Benning School for Boys! :D Thanks for sharing that COLD weather hunt. Better you than me, buddy!

aj

That photoshop is a great program once you start getting feel for it. It is overkill but sure does what we need done easily.

Have a great time in VA.

As you wish anyway:wave: