Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I found some land to treasure hunt on with my family ancestry.

maray72181

I have been doing some family history research to find some spots to hunt. the land starts from late 1800s and up. My family does not own the land anymore but its farm land and old railroad tracks going through. I still have not decided if it would be strange to ask the owners permission. If I do ask what do I say.

I would simply say the same thing I say to anyone else: My name is ______ and I have a hobby of metal detecting. I love to look for old relics, buttons, coins, keys, etc. Your property looks just like the kind of place that I like to look. Would it be ok if I search, I promise I will not leave any holes or tear up your property. When I'm done you won't even be able to tell I was here.

If you end up hunting that area I hope you can post some pics,and best of luck to you.

like i told my friend today who has been reluctant to ask in such situations. I told him if he doesnt ask or if they say no than nothing changes. But heck there are times folks say yes and then its a different day isnt it? You dont get there if you dont ask. Jersey H has a good approach. Good Luck, CO

maray, you ask the same way you would like to be asked. Look them in the eye, introduce yourself, explain the family history, ask for permission to hunt, explain that when you leave the place it will look the same as before. If they say no, ask if you came back at another time would it be more convenient for them. I always tell people that I'm only asking for permission for that day and when I leave (after they've let me hunt), I ask if I can contact them later about looking again. I've heard numerous complaints from landowners who gave permission for what they thought was a 1 time hunt only to find people back on their property.

Balenim, I usually ask that at the end of the day. Can I come again? Is it OK to come if no one is here, or do you want to be home?. In any event If i return and they are home, I usually knock on the door to let them know Im there. Sometimes I call ahead to let them know Im coming up- Dont want someone getting spooked at the back window, etc. If its huge acreage its good they know someone is out there etc. I ask wheres a good place to park so as not to inconveinence them etc. CO

i am new to this post.in the next few days i will post a photo of a find back in 1982 with a radio shack microta 401 metal detector.the relic was pulled from out of the water.i heard of this relic numerous times from my father when i was little and with no prior knowledge with a detector it was found.it ruined the detector afterwards.it was under the water for 135 years and no one ever noticed it.sad thing it was ended up missing from my mothers house back in 1990 and was never seen again .i have put posters up with a reward of 500.00 dollars, but nothing.wish i could find it again.only vaule is sentimental.i hope to one day know where it went.my brother was living with my mom and both passed before i could ask about it .do to i did not live with them. dont have any idea if it was stolen or sold .anyway will pass photo on in a couple of days.

I'll share a situation that is just unfolding for me:
My wife has an 80 something year old uncle that sold his house and moved into a rest home.
While she was visiting him, she mentioned I was out with my metal detector and that sparked his memory:
Unbeknownst to anyone until this past weekend, he lost his wedding band in a flower bed of his old property many years ago.
He had told the folks that bought his place that if they ever find the ring, he'd like it back.
So, my wife stopped in to see the lady who now owns the property and explained the situation.
Luckily, she was more than glad to let me come and look anytime I want .
She also mentioned that she or a realtive/acquaintance had already searched the property with a detector, but had no luck in locating the ring.
With the super weather we're having here in the East, it's a perfect time to see if I can come through for the old guy.
He loved his wife dearly, and that wedding band is the one thing that he has left to remember her by.
Hopefully I can report back with success story; but the point is, if you don't ask you will never know.
Good luck with your quest.

Folks, I see the word I used in my post was deleted if you will. I did research to figure out why and discovered the word can be used in a negative sense I never knew about. I apologize for my ignorance. But I hope you got my point, that you dont want to surprise the home owner unexpectedly. Good Hunts all. CO