Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I found a bomb on the beach this weekend Part 2

bdahunter

Here's the deal. I swing by the Bermuda Regiment base on my break to get rid of this thing. (I know it's a mortar round but I still don't want to believe it)
I drive onto the base (nobody at the guard post), find a couple of guys sitting on a wall and explain to them what I have in the back of my car. "Kewl Man, No Problem, go see dee quartamasta over dere". So over dere I go, get the item out of my car and take it into dee quartamasta's office. Nobody at the counter but I can see a couple of locals chatting in the back office about their weekend, so I try to make eye contact - Good Luck! I set the item up on the counter in it's bed made from a towel so as not to bang it on the hard surface, they keep yakking. Finally after what seems forever with a potential bomb sitting at face level (to interrupt their conversation would be considered rude in Bermuda and I would have to wait twice as long for being rude) one of them says "Good Morning" (very important phrase here, I can talk to them now).
I say "Good Morning, I found something on the beach on the weekend and I think it belongs to you" and motion to the item on the counter. "What is dat?" she asks, so I say "I think it's a bomb" (I'm a little PO'ed at this point). She saunters up to the counter and her friend follows her, he says "That's an old mortar shell, haven't seen one of dose in a while, where did you find it?" I told him I found it at Chaplin Bay on the beach beside some kids making a sand castle; he just smiles and picks it up like it was a paperweight or something. "Yes" he says "that's a mortar shell allright" and THEN HE STARTS PLAYING WITH THE DETONATOR!! :yikes:
I said "thank you so much for taking that off of my hands" they said "thank you for bringing it in" and dat was dat.
I got the heck out of there as quick as I could before he could figure out how to make it go off, I didn't hear an explosion by the time I was out of earshot so I am assuming it was a dud, either that or he just got bored and put it back down.:wacko:
I watched the news that night to see if there was a terrorist attack on the Bermuda Regiment, Nope! I guess the quartamasta got bored with my mortar round before he blew himself up.:laugh:
Sometimes living on a tropical island isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Cheers,

BDA

PS It turns out that this mortar round is loaded with 2 lbs. of TNT.

i assume the salt water rendered it dead but one never knows. If it had been on land all bets are off.
Good story and thanks!:thumbup:

n/t

Cripes.............I don't know what I would've done with it. I'm glad the military was right on it.:huh:

I hope it's a one of a kind find, Lil Brother. I can assure you that I don't want to find another one. The nitroglycerin leeches out of the TNT over time and is highly unstable, saltwater will eventually disipate it but it takes a long time in a seal mortar shell. I'm just glad to have it off of my hands and safely disposed of.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

I have never been to your island. How long have you lived there?

Is it British controlled or are they intependent?

\Thanks for the story:thumbup:

It's coming up on 3 years since I moved to Bermuda from Canada. I started by running a construction job at a private school and now I'm overseeing the construction on a hotel which is my area of specialization.
Bermuda is a British protectorate but they are flirting with the idea of seperation in the same way Quebec does with Canada.

Cheers,

BDA:canadaflag::cool: