Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I "fixed" my broken GTA 1000, and now it gets me DIRTY!

The pinpoint button on my GTA 1000 got stuck in pinpoint mode. It wouldnt return to normal search mode. The button was concave. I disassembled it COMPLETELY, and then THEN called Garrett (wrong order right?) Garrett said $60 plus S&H for a new control. I said to myself "Im a cheapscate... and if its broken... I have nothing to lose!" so I pryed up under the button with a small flat screwdriver. I tested it, and it worked. I had already disassembled the WHOLE thing and all the electronics inside. SOOOOOO... I thought... "When in Rome" and I sealed up EVERYTHING with blue RTV gasket maker silicone to "waterproof" it. So it works FLAWLESSLY, and it would PROBABLY float, but I'm not gonna try it to find out.
NOW, everytime I use it I get some of that blue silicone on my arm, (it refuses to completely dry) and I have to rub it off (with it usually taking some arm-hair with it!!!:yikes::rofl::yikes:) but at least it works. It now has less chance of getting ruined at the lake shore now. I sealed EVERYTHING! I used half a tube!!!